• Other (see comment)

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have no idea!

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Before when I thought that I saw it, it was actually something else.. a very, very large worm. I haven't seen the real clicker yet....

gussy

Mantis sometimes back in and sometimes turn around. If they are comfortable with seeing you and feel safe, they will turn around.

XBwlr

I think the clicking in my tank is a mantis.

While I was at work last night, my wife said she saw "something" on a rock. I showed her some pics of a pistol and a mantis and she said that it looked like the mantis.

:flaming:

Anyone have any good ideas or some good links for a trap?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Try a panty hose with a piece of shrimp in it. Supposedly, the shrimp get tangled in it and can't get out.

XBwlr

I tried that when I had that crab in there... didn't work. All I caught was some pods and some bristle worms.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
There are traps made just for shrimp. I have never used them though. I'll try to find a pic of one...

Woodstock

RS STAFF
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/DIY/diyMantisTrap.shtml

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/catch.htm

xterminator
xterm.gif

Woodstock

RS STAFF
you are most welcome... If you get an urge to repay my kindness... feel free to come by my house and help me rid my tank of my mantis! :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ok.. today is the day for mr. clicker shrimp. I have 10 gal of new saltwater made with 10 more almost finished.. I have rubbermaid containers waiting as well as a tub of fresh water. My plan is to dunk each rock one by one briefly with the hopes that the shrimp will come out. I also have a pair of tweezers for probing every hole.... wish me luck! ... I'll need it! :lookaroun

Witfull

you dont need any luck,,,your good.....have fun and then go out for a shrimp and crab dinner~

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hummm... only 4 hours.. not bad! I removed all rock and dipped each one in fresh water (I was careful not to touch the corals in MOST cases). Then I reaquascaped and cleaned up my BIG mess LOL . I was sorry to see so many pods and miniature serpent stars die but I did get 2 PISTOL shrimps approx 3/4" long!! I knew I had gotten one when it started clicking REALLY loud in the fw tub! It's amazing how such a tiny thing can make a loud noise. I was extremely sad to see that one was bearing eggs :( but I was equally happy that they were NOT mantis shrimp :bigbounce . All went very smothly and I don't think the corals/fish/anemones are too upset. I think I like the aquascaping :rolleyes: but I will probably make a few adjustments once my fingers recover ;).

For those of you that voted for "pistol shrimp", good job!! :) Here is a pic of the 2 pistols....

pistol_shrimp.JPG

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks!! :D

Would those buggers kill an ornamental shrimp (harlequin or skunk)? They seem so innocent~

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Woodstock said:
Thanks!! :D

Would those buggers kill an ornamental shrimp (harlequin or skunk)? They seem so innocent~

IME I never had a problem with the Pistol but the only shrimp I had were the Peppermint and Skunk Cleaners.