Pink tip elegant coral

Reef Jam

Hello, reefers... I have been I this hobby for over 20 years now with ups and downs... Always excited to get more corals all the time. A little disappointed that corals today are aqua cultured instead of natural. Some corals are signature pieces raised by this guy or that guy... Even fish are being cross bread.. Anyway I will get off my soap box. Just bought this great looking elegant and thought I would share it with you all.... Well I guess I can't up load photos from my iPad... Oh well maybe next time.
62d3a768-1be3-544a.jpg

ChrisOaty

Welcome ReefJam! I think one of the big reasons that most corals sold these days are aquacultured is because of the huge limitations that are in place to protect much of the natural reefs that this hobby has been hard on. I think it's important that as fish and coral keepers, we must be as responsible as we can be. There are many other reasons including fiscal and availability, but in my opinion the first is of utmost importance.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

Beautiful Elegance coral... stunning actually.

Welcome ReefJam! I think one of the big reasons that most corals sold these days are aquacultured is because of the huge limitations that are in place to protect much of the natural reefs that this hobby has been hard on. I think it's important that as fish and coral keepers, we must be as responsible as we can be. There are many other reasons including fiscal and availability, but in my opinion the first is of utmost importance.

BINGO! Chris said it perfectly IMHO! "Sustainable" methods are the way we are going to be able to have coral in our tanks for a LONG time coming. The less we take directly from the Seas the better we and the Seas are... :)

PIMPALA

Welcome to RS!

First person I've ever heard of who is against aquacultured fish and corals. Personally I'd rather have EVERYTHING in my tank not come from the ocean at all, if it could be.

ChrisOaty

Most aquacultured fish benefit from having been tank-bread and raised for many generations. That's not to say necessarily that there is any sort of microevolution (if you subscribe to such beliefs) going on within our tanks, but a 2 year old tang raised in a tank his whole life will fare much better in a transfer than a 2 year old tang straight from the ocean. A lot has changed in 20 years, and the condition of our natural reefs is one of the major changes. I agree with Jason, were it my choice every time, I'd pick aquacultured for my corals, fish, and inverts. =]...But wow, that is a beautiful elegance!

Reef Jam

Yes, I have been in and out of the hobby for a while and things have changed for the better that is.. I do agree with everyone, we most protect the reefs. Don't get me wrong the corals and fish a beautiful. Everyone who comes to my home are glued to the tank and tell me that the whole aqua scape looks like a scene from an Alice and wonderland movie. I take it as a compliment... Another thing I am working on getting used to are the frags. Frags seem to be a big thing now. I prefer to buy a smaller invert than a fragged one. Anyway, thought I would share another nice coral..

62d3a768-e1f2-b56c.jpg

62d3a768-e29c-3114.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1336206216.495347.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1336206216.495347.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 46

immerume2

U have some nice corals. Any chance we could get an overall shot? Would really like to see the while thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What do you do for trace elements and such. Ca mg etc? Dosing? Calc reactor. Huge wc?

........wet floors add character.

Reef Jam

I usually drip dose or slow pour... Kalkwasser and Reef Advanced Calcium by Seachem. I feed them with a baster,,, Oyster Feast, Cylopese, Live Phytoplankton, Baby Brine, Vitachem, Spectral Vital and Garlic. Here is a pic of the whole tank. Photo taken before the purchase of my Pink tip Elegant. This tank is 6 month old. My next investment is on a Calcium Reactor and CO2 system...

Attachments

• REEFTANK 75 GAL3_Panorama.jpg
    REEFTANK 75 GAL3_Panorama.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 42

ChrisOaty

The prevalence of buying and trading frags has made this hobby more feasible for those who don't necessarily have a huge budget. I, for one, don't have the means to instantly set up my tank the way I'd like by purchasing colonies of my favorite corals. I personally began this hobby as a starving college student years ago.

Reef Jam

Chris this is a frag that I bought. It was only 1 clove polyp for 30.00 dollars. Some stores in Miami do not like to sell the whole piece cause they make more on it selling it in frags and they sell it quicker. I finally found a store where the owner calls me when he get good medium size pieces and he will let me buy it before he frags it up. I have a few frags myself but I prefer I nice medium size coral. I like really rare corals and if the only way I can get them is as a frag I will get it.. This is a pic of a rare frag paid 30.00 and it grew to have 7 polyps in a little over 3 month and a crab came and ate all of it in a day. You can imagine how upset I was... Needless to say no more crab..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336325207.193704.jpg

62d3a768-b5dc-70a9.jpg

ChrisOaty

WOW! That's stunning. When my tank is nice an mature, I'm going to look for the rare stuff too. Sorry for your loss though. At least $30 wasn't so steep, but some of these corals are few and far between.

Reef Jam

Thanks, I am trying convince the owner of the store to frag a huge piece he has and he hasn't had time... He said every one is asking him to sell the whole thing and he doesn't want to so now he is saying that he is going to frag it a sell it at 45.00 dollars a polyp head. I think that's a little crazy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336358478.974723.jpg