Picking your corals?

Jvo

Hey guys, I am really new to corals and liverock and was curious how I know what is going to be good for my tank. Is it determined by your fish? Your light?
Any recommendations of good choices to start with as a beginner and how to identify them? My LPS has a good few choices but most aren't labeled.

Pat24601

The other thing I learned in my first year is that almost any advice I got, including the links/references in this thread, which are awesome, is just that. Advice.

I've had "easy" corals that do terrible in my tank and "hard" ones that grow like weeds. I imagine it has something to do with my maintenance, lighting, etc. But, I think you'll learn for yourself what works as you go. Think of it as part of the fun.

Once again, I'm not saying the guides aren't useful, they are awesome. Mushrooms are almost always easier than acros, :). I'm just saying just because the guide says something is easy doesn't mean it will do well in your tank and the reverse with hard.

Also, feel free to pick some out and ask for opinions here. People love to share their experiences and it will give you a sense of what works.

Finally, try real hard not to buy what the LFS recommends on the spot without researching it. I've spent a lot of money on stuff that was virtually guaranteed to be a problem that way. Also, I learned that by and large my LFS stock at any point in time is the leftover stuff the more experienced hobbyist didn't want. At my store, you have to get there shortly after a new shipment to get the really cool stuff.

For whatever reason, torches, hammers, and frogspawn do really well in my tank and look awesome. The flowy nature is a really nice addition to a new tank. That would probably be way up there in terms of my reccomendation if you like them.

Last edited:

Pat24601

rostervandross

Corals can be expensive in store and ship pretty easily- I would look for people in the hobby- on this site even- that sell coral fragments for fun or on the side, you can get a much wider variety for much less.

Reactions: Jvo

newo11

^^^ this is very good advice. You may want to look for a local club or local hobbyist group that you can purchase from. Generally, coral is much less expensive this way. Also you are more likely to get coral that is adapted to living and thriving in an aquarium environment (as opposed to the oceans or other large growing system).

However - the best advise is no matter what you get, from where and from whom - always dip your new coral before it hits your system and don't ever let water from another tank enter your system. You have a high risk of introducing a pest that way.

I agree with Pat - every system is different and what may thrive in one tank may not do well in another.

Also - prepare yourself for the fact that no matter what you do , you are going to lose some coral that you purchase. Every experienced reefer has and continues to have, coral losses.

Good luck and great job on thinking through what you want to add to your tank!!

Marty.h

I tend to buy cultured corals as mentioned above they are use to a closed system.

As already mentioned every system is different and what would say thrive in mine would simply die in someone else's.

My dad for example can't keep pulsing exina it simply melts away yet I mix his water no different to mine but he has different filtration and lighting to me yet it does absolutely fine in mine.

Only 2 I've had issues with was a gonipora and a rare acro that litually bleached overnight can't remember the name of it but they rare for that reason hard to keep yet all my other SPS ect are fine.

It's one thing I like about marine tanks is you always have something to do all be it topping up dosing containers or checking water and always so much to look at as I come from the freshwater side first and there is no comparison.

I have found the main thing for all corals is stability get you water right and stable and most will thrive if you loose something don't get down over it if all the water is fine then try again if you fail again it's just one of them mysteries that your system won't support them yet all your other corals will be thriving.

Like I mentioned earlier about gonipora I added one and it did not last long at all yet I have a flowerpot coral and a lot of other LPS with no issues so I just put it down to the fact my system can't house them.

Enjoy your tank and look forward to updates of your purchases and pictures as they grow :)