Photos of my 125 gallon reef - best 25 of over 200!!

chops29

Wow, very nice pictures have you fraged anything in there? lol That thing is packed awesome looking!

luisgo

I have fraged the frogspown several times. Also the colt, blue mushrooms and the montipora digitata. My frags are in many local tanks in Puerto Rico where I live. This tank was set up in 1990 and now is close to 20 years old!!

1Reefer

OMG! Are you frickin serious!... that thing is amazing, idk even really know what to say, just WOW... wow man... gorgeous tank!

luisgo

Thanks for the comments. I have 2 - 175 watts MH Reeflux 14K plus 2-UVL 72" 160 watts VHO's one SuperActinic and one 454nm. I love the color of my lights.

SecretAgent

I have a 125 as well....its long. Doesnt have a center brace cause the glass is so thick.I have 2 400w 20k's on mine, no supplemental lighting because of how the hood is made......cant fit anything else in there. Wonder if that is too much light? I keep the hood of it set back on to the tank because I had to have a piece added to the bottom of the hood so the halides wasnt so close to the water, so that does make the 400's not so bright. When I sit the hood back on the tank right, it is Ba-rite!

SecretAgent

*sigh* its early......forgot to add, I sit the hood back on the tank because I cant reach in it because of the added piece and I love playing in my tanks....and all the brats in there always knocking things down or moving sand, have to put things back where they go a lot.

Is 2 400w overkill for this tank, you think?

goldenmean

You have an amazingly beautiful reef!
Great job!

Your corals dont seem the think you lights are overkill!
Seems like you lights are perfect!

SecretAgent

That really is an amazing tank. Wished I could find some way to add some lighting that will show off the colors of my corals, but alas! I am just a mere Ga Peach with no skills when it comes to lighting and no one to show me the way. =( lol

1Reefer

I'm with you secret! My lighting is not that great, lol its all so confusing for me when it comes to lighting... wish I could help ya out!

luisgo

SecretAgent lighting is a very personal thing. Some people like blue and some like white. Some will need to have metal halides and some will hate them and prefer T5's. That is why when you see a tank with a light you like and corals are growing follow that setup.

I think that 2-400w for your tank is ok because 20k is not as bright as the 10k or 14k. That will also depend on the kind of corals you have. In my tank I have soft and LPS. I don't need that much light.

I have my canopy in brackets and I can move the lights back to work on the tank.

Check the photos

I hope this helps.

SecretAgent

Thank you Luisgo.....I have read many places about retro ktis for t5's and that might be what I am wanting, dont really know, and the 20k bulbs really look like 14k, although Im glad they dont look too blue. I think what Im after is the affect of a PC (that I used to have before these halides), but at the same time the ripple of the halides. When I see a tank with daylight, actinic, and the pinkish bulbs, thats what I am wanting....but I also want the power of the halides and the shimmer....is there a such thing as all of that rolled into one? I have the halides, but want to do something similar to your setup, like adding the two longer bulbs to give it more color, maybe one actinic and one of those pinkish bulbs, but I dont know how to go about retrofitting it into my canopy. Wouldnt I just need to buy end caps and mount those then get bulbs the length I set the end caps apart? We have the same tank, I believe....72" long and shallow?