Photo Editing For Reefing Glory - How To

sirrealism

I use dropbox for my pics and whats cool is you open the pic with this program and when your done and save it the program puts it right back in dropbox fixed so you can then move it to photobucket.

Pat24601

So, I think my core problem really is in the picture I need to take in the first place. I'm going to pull out my real camera and see what it does. I think I just have way too much purple showing up with my current lights. I can get a normal picture by dimming my blues like Diana suggested. But, it looks kind of flat. Maybe I could start with that one and edit it.

Anyway, this is my before and after...
Before

BlueTank.jpg

After

BlueTankAdjusted.jpg

(BTW, I'm kind of half in the middle of moving stuff around, so artistically not where I want it yet anyway...aside from the bad pic).

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It's a good effort Pat :) you can always try taking pics under whites, you'll still get some great results from that!

Once you get the real camera going you'll get much better shots! The problem with phones and such is the way the blue distorts the image and gives that terrible hue to everything!

Try doing one under whites and see how that goes and next is to get the good camera out ;)

sirrealism

Wrangy. I am loving this program. I cant say thank you enough.
Pat what kind of phone do you use? A lot of the smart phones you can change the settings. All of my pics come from my phone which are not great but not bad but if you tell me what kind of phone you have I might be able to tell you what settings to change to get better pics

Pat24601

Wrangy. I am loving this program. I cant say thank you enough.
Pat what kind of phone do you use? A lot of the smart phones you can change the settings. All of my pics come from my phone which are not great but not bad but if you tell me what kind of phone you have I might be able to tell you what settings to change to get better pics

It's the iphone 6. Not sure if much can be done?

I took some pictures on automatic settings with my good camera last night. It certainly came out much, much clearer, but still doesn't look like what it looks to my eyes under the LEDS. It looks more "flat" (I think) and if I recall correctly my red goniopora looked purple. I was in a hurry so I'll check more later.

newo11

It's the iphone 6. Not sure if much can be done?

I took some pictures on automatic settings with my good camera last night. It certainly came out much, much clearer, but still doesn't look like what it looks to my eyes under the LEDS. It looks more "flat" (I think) and if I recall correctly my red goniopora looked purple. I was in a hurry so I'll check more later.

Pat - you may want to try some pics not on the "automatic" settings. Try using aperture priority for example - (usually the "A" on the dial). This will allow you to control your depth of field and let the camera do the rest. I try to use a very shallow depth of field (a lower #) to make the subject that I am trying to take a picture of show up nicely in the picture. Plus it lets in more light which is usually helpful when taking pics of the tank. Really good for shots of individual corals for example.

FTS usually take a larger depth of field (a higher aperture number - f8 for example).

sirrealism

Taken with my phone. Still not as good as my SLR "which I still dont know how to use" But not bad for a phone