phosban reactor pump

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Do yall think a rio 50 moves enough water for a phosban 150 reactor i think it moves 69gph thanks

WVUReefer

It depends on the water volume of your tank...you want the reactor to flow evenly..I compare it to what ground coffee looks like in a coffee maker...you need the media (to for lack of a better word) "perculate" in the recator chamber...

Frankie

RS STAFF
It really depends on the reactors size not the tank water volume. If the reactor is recommended to use a 69 gph pump then that is what you should use.

Think about it this way WVUReefer, if I was to have this same reactor on a 500 gallon aquarium then think of the pump size I would need to use doing it your way.

The question really is, how many reactors do I need for my said water volume.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
No, it recommends a 100 - 200 gph flow. It comes with a ball valve so you can back it off if needed as well.

WVUReefer

I assumed that the tank he was refering to was under 125..it does state that his tank is a 60g...In my experience the water volume moving through the tank does effect the water pressure inside the reactor...I run a 175gph on my phosban 150..the valve is kept at 3/4 turn..which when the water level is kept at the max line I designated on my sump gives no problem..when my level exceeds that line for whatever reason..the pump pressurizes greatly creating small leaks at the joints on my plumbing..I see what you are saying but I think the points we are making are different..Think of it this way...Would it be necessary to run a 200gph pump on a reactor for a 20g tank..when 50gph would be adequate...It recommends a 100-200 gph..but effectively when you are adjusting the ball valve you are in effect reducing the gph through the reactor...2 methods resulting in the same conclusion...

EricTheRed

I run a Rio 400 in my phosban 150 reactor and restrict the flow using the ball valve. If the lower circle sponge filter gets gunky, I turn the flow up a bit to keep adequate "tumble" until its time to replace the carbon/GFO.