Oxy's RSM250

Danreef

Thanks!!

Here are a couple of pics during a water change. Corals are out of the water for anywhere from 10-15mins. The very top of the monti cap on the very left is usually out of the water for an hour and on occasion for more then an hour. I fill the tank enough to get the pumps running again and the water movement makes enough little waves to keep the top most corals wet, not submerged. Then over the next two hours I slowly fill the tank. Been doing this since ~April and the corals that end up out of the water aren't showing damage (including one acro frag which I thought I would end up loosing).

Do you see that nice green one in the center, it never shows up on my photos very well cnfzd: Look at my FTS in post above, the green coral just blends into the rockwork.

Hi Oxi.....

I do not see any pic.

Why are you doing the WC in that way ?.... curiosity.

I take out 2 5G buckets and pour the same with a pump. Takes me all ~15 minutes.

Cheers
Daniel

By the way.....though competition! !!! Jajaja..LOL

Danreef

This is magic....after I did my posting the pictures appeared in the quote. Very strange.

Well still my Why ? Question is valid...LOL

Oxylebius

I guess that really wasn't a good explanation. You already know that there are some things that just end up working well for some folks and not for others. One of those things I found over and over again is changing the water.

Early on I had a fish only marine tank and they were hardy, so length of water changes weren't an issue. After maintaining tanks full of urchins, I learned that during water changes, replacing water had to be done fairly slowly b/c they were sensitive to more than the standard temp/salinity/pH parameters. A fast water change (i.e. replenishing the water in ~15mins) would end up with some die off of urchins over the following 24-48 hrs after the water change. So, I learned to add a little less then a gallon every half hour to fill back up the tank, depending on the size of the system it can take a day to do. When I had my fish and mobile invert 40g tank, I ended up loosing two shrimp after I hurried two respective water changes (only a correlation here, based on observations, can't scientifically prove this) so I went back to what I know works well for me, slowly filling the tanks.

Now I have to start to take into the equation the corals that are out of the water and how long they would be. Corals create a mucus to protect them out of the water, but they can only tolerate being out of the water for a short amount of time, so I want to make sure that they at least can stay moist if they are gonna be out of the water for any length of time.

Oxylebius

My two clowns were born October 2011, captive breed by another reefer outside of Baltimore. They are 3 years old as of October 2014. I picked them up March of 2012 when they were five months old. Below is a series of photos of their growth. You will notice that they are not a true orange color as young of the year, instead they are mocha in color. The mocha color transitions to black fairly quickly between 5-8 months old. After that they have black and white bodies with orange faces. They have kept their orange faces until this past year. In year two the larger of the two lost her orange face and now has a black face. The male as of today, at 3 years old, still has his orange face. The transition of loosing the orange face happens slowly with the black creeping from the body to the tip of the nose until only a little orange shows at the tip of the nose, then is gone.

Watch for the progression of orange on their faces grow smaller through the timeline of photos below.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
That's amazing Oxy!! Did you know that they would be Black & White Clowns when you bought them?
Are they spawning?
Mine have lost their bright orange color that they had when I got them. They were really very small then.
My male hasn't grown much but they both seem to be getting darker in color.

Oxylebius

Thanks! Yes, I knew they were black and white clowns when I bought them, saw their parents in the DT hanging out in the frogspawn. They are not spawning yet.

Danreef

I guess that really wasn't a good explanation. You already know that there are some things that just end up working well for some folks and not for others. One of those things I found over and over again is changing the water.

Early on I had a fish only marine tank and they were hardy, so length of water changes weren't an issue. After maintaining tanks full of urchins, I learned that during water changes, replacing water had to be done fairly slowly b/c they were sensitive to more than the standard temp/salinity/pH parameters. A fast water change (i.e. replenishing the water in ~15mins) would end up with some die off of urchins over the following 24-48 hrs after the water change. So, I learned to add a little less then a gallon every half hour to fill back up the tank, depending on the size of the system it can take a day to do. When I had my fish and mobile invert 40g tank, I ended up loosing two shrimp after I hurried two respective water changes (only a correlation here, based on observations, can't scientifically prove this) so I went back to what I know works well for me, slowly filling the tanks.

Now I have to start to take into the equation the corals that are out of the water and how long they would be. Corals create a mucus to protect them out of the water, but they can only tolerate being out of the water for a short amount of time, so I want to make sure that they at least can stay moist if they are gonna be out of the water for any length of time.

Thank you !!!

Now I understand why you are doing it in that way. I never had a sea urchin tank. Kind of never though on something like that. One day, if you have pictures of the sea urchin tank, it will be nice to see some. Nevertheless, I had fish only, mixed coral and now the sps tank you know very well. In those tanks I did not have any issue with a fast change of water. And I am happy about it, I am not sure if I will be able to deal with a situation like yours. But if it has to be done, I will do it.

I always say : "Every day there is something that you can learn" . This was something new for me.

Thanks
Daniel

PS: Nearby my house, next town, there is a guy that sells corals as part of his hobby. He takes the coral out of the tank, cut them with the saw (depending of how hard they are), glue them in the plug or rock. Wait the glue to dry, and after all that to the water again. He told me many times that a 15-20 minutes out of the water works for him. He try to do it in less time. The mentioned time is based on personal mistakes, like forgetting he has the glued frag on the table, go to do something else and returning 20 minutes later. The coral was alive.

BTW....the quality of those clown pictures are phenomenal !!!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yehoo: CONGRATULATIONS OXY :yehoo:
Tank of the MONTH for NOVEMBER 2014!!
Be proud...Your hard work shows in your BEAUTIFUL TANK!! :thumbup:

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
congratulations-2271.gif
:geekin::pBJ:Well Deserved Sue!:pBJ::geekin:

Oxylebius

Thank you !!! Now I understand why you are doing it in that way. I never had a sea urchin tank. Kind of never though on something like that. One day, if you have pictures of the sea urchin tank, it will be nice to see some.

The tank was in a lab setting, the urchins were used for developmental biology. We maintained many, MANY urchins so that we could induce spawning and collected their sperm and eggs. Having several tanks full of urchins (even though I have a soft spot for them) at a home wouldn't really be that interesting and extremely expensive to feed (they eat a LOT of algae). Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of these tanks. :ponder2: Kinda odd b/c I usually take pictures of everything!!

Danreef

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE NOVEMBER TOTM.

I was having the feeling you worked in a marine biology lab or had a biology marine degree due to the biology knowledge of your postings.

I too have a biology degree, but in reproduction, fertilty.

Well....enjoy the well deserved TOTM award. And thank you for teaching me and many others all what you know.

Daniel