Outback Max on its way?

kenbut

You are off and running now, congratulations!!

May I ask why you want to disconnect the hood fans? I'm not sure it sounds like a good idea, even if you will have a chiller. I think the bulbs need them as they are enclosed in the hood and therefore get very hot, as well as helping to reduce heat in the tank, but I may be wrong.

Good luck

It was just an idea as all the noise from the tank comes from then, everything else is deadly quite.Absoulutely love this tank it is awesome!

kenbut

I suspect your lights might not function if you disconnect your fans. When we got our tank set up last week, one of the light sockets was bad. I called Pinky, at Red Sea in Texas, and as well as a hood replacement, I got a (kind) lecture on the importance of changing out the fans when they begin to get noisy...she told me if the fans stop working, the entire hood will shut down. She also sent me the instructions for changing out the fans.

It probably is not a good idea to run those lights without fans even if you can. You might be surprised at the amount of heat they generate and would likely be a fire hazard. We have a 96 watt power compact in a light sitting above our FW tank and even with the fan in the fixture running, the metal gets pretty hot to touch and can raise the tank temp (46 Gal) 2-3 degrees over the course of the day. Imagine the heat build up in an enclosed hood!

Perhaps someone can suggest a quieter fan to use if noise is the issue?

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, quieter fan probably the best option.

kenbut

First tests done today..
SG 1.023
P.H 8.2
Temp 25C
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Did Nitrate twice as final colour is nothing like any of samples????

clka

Looking forward to photos Ken ~ our new hood arrived yesterday so hopefully I won't be far behind!

Cheryl

kenbut

1st photo.

Had an RDO today so installed chiller,ATO and Vortech. Also had a play with the Skimmer and finished Aquascaping and filling the tank.

kenbut

26th_june_2010small.jpg
[/IMG]

kenbut

Thanks all.
Tests done today still all good, except Nitrate. Can't seem to get it to match any of the test colours, I suspect a dodgy test kit. I remember when I kept Koi that Nitrate kits were always the troublesome ones. Will be in Sydney next week so expect Coral photos.
Very happy with tank and noise level not as bad as I expected. Although not living with it as tank in new house I just build and we dont expect to finish it for a while.
ken