Our New Clam

Uslanja

Good Afternoon! We picked up this clam three weeks ago. It is very small, about 2 inches long. It has not been opening very wide but the mantle (If I have the name correct) does extend beyond the shell and if we get close enough the clam will close up. After a few seconds it will then open again. Some of the larger clams that we have observed at the LFS are wide open, but ours does not open anywhere as wide. We are not sure if that is normal or if there is something we should be checking for. Also, we are not sure if it likes where it is. It has moved around a few times and seems to like being somewhat on its side. So this morning we set it on a piece of clam shell and set two pieces of rubble on each side. Our thought is that this might encourage it to anchor to the shell and then we can remove the rubble. So we have posted a photo and it is a fairly accurate shot regarding how wide the clam likes to open. We have read where these clams need real clean water and then on the flip side we have read that a little ammonia and a little nitrate is actually a food source for them and desirable. We are still in the learning stage with this clam. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

IMG_3102_1.jpg

JulesVane

Very nice! They never seem to stay where 'ya want 'em! (LOL) My only "beginner" advice would to not try to confine it between a couple of rocks. This may keep it from fully opening. I realize you've put alot of thought about the "perfect" spot for YOU, but unfortunately, they seem to have a mind of their own. Good Luck, it's beautiful!

Uslanja

Hi nanoreefing4fun! Thanks for the link! We will be reading that tonight!

Hi JulesVane! Thanks for the advice! We are concerned about cramping it too much and thought about opening the rubble up a bit. I'll do that next.

The clam has been moving around pretty much in a circle, maybe 3 inches in diameter. The other odd thing is that it seems to want to be over on its side a bit, about a 20 - 25 degree angle. Do you think we should just let it go and see where it ends up or is there some type of surface that we could place in the substrate to encourage it to stay out front?

Edison

Hi nanoreefing4fun! Thanks for the link! We will be reading that tonight!

Hi JulesVane! Thanks for the advice! We are concerned about cramping it too much and thought about opening the rubble up a bit. I'll do that next.

The clam has been moving around pretty much in a circle, maybe 3 inches in diameter. The other odd thing is that it seems to want to be over on its side a bit, about a 20 - 25 degree angle. Do you think we should just let it go and see where it ends up or is there some type of surface that we could place in the substrate to encourage it to stay out front?

Definitely let Mr. Clam move about until he finds a good spot to settle. All three of ours too a little stroll until they found a good roost. ;)

Where in your tank is the clam? They like light, lots and lots of it. Mine are about 3" beneath a 300 watt MH/actinic fixture.

Uslanja

Hi Edison! We have our clam on the substrate, but our tank is only 12 inches deep. We just measured and he is 12 inches under t5HO lighting. We thought this would be good lighting for him. Do you think he needs more?

Edison

Hi Edison! We have our clam on the substrate, but our tank is only 12 inches deep. We just measured and he is 12 inches under t5HO lighting. We thought this would be good lighting for him. Do you think he needs more?

If he came from a tank that had metal halides he will need some time to acclimate to the T5s. Clams like light more than just about anything else we can put in our tanks.
Mine are at the top of the tank just a few inches from a 150 watt MH bulb and they love it there. Two of then actually moved a bit forward where the light was a bit brighter.

You might want to move him about 1/2 way up and see if he's happier there.

Uslanja

We had been thinking about moving him higher up. Our impression was that he was moving around and looking to get higher. I know that sounds goofy, but every time we would find him over on an angle he would be against a rock and it looked as if he was trying to get up. So, nowhere is our silly question; is there a certain rock configuration/condition that we should look for to get him started?

Edison

Can't say for sure but for the ones we have were just placed on some rock that was semi-horizontal and they were happy.
see here for a photo

Uslanja

Very nice clams! We have several horizontal places on our reef. The current goes from high flow at one end of the reef to low flow at the other end. Lighting is consistent from one end to the other. Any suggestion on which area would be best?

Uslanja

OK! I don't know why, I can't remember what I read but we have it in a low flow area on the substrate. We can move him.
Thanks!

Edison

Clams do well on the substrate when they get good light and flow but after trying my first clam on the substrate and then towards the top, I decided that's where they like it best.
At the LFS most all clams are kept in shallow tanks (18" deep) and towards the top-maybe 5" or so.

Uslanja

Hi Edison! Tracy and I have been talking about moving it up on the rock but then we decided that we really want it on the substrate. Its only 12 inches below the t5's. We have 2 X 10,000K bulbs and 2 420/460 bulbs for a total of 156 watts. Do you think different bulbs would be better? Would higher K daylights be better or would a different actinic be better? The rubble has been spread out a bit so the clam can open wider or move if it wants. So far it is staying there and not opening any wider than it has all along. In the photo it can be seen that the clam is fairly small as compared to the astrea snail beside it. If the lighting is too low, wouldn't the clam open wider and try to get more light? Could it be in too strong a flow? Does it just need to grow more in size to be able to open wider? When we got it it was in a frag tank on the substrate with about 8 inches of water above it and under 400 watt 20,000K radium lighting that was hung about 32 inches above the water. It doesn't appear to be doing poorly, it just isn't opening real wide like we have seen other larger ones do.

IMG_3159-copy_edited-1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Edison

Hey Dave and Tracy!! I will be heading to the LFS Monday afternoon for a long shoot and will ask the Bob the owner of the store He has much more expertise than I when it comes to the intricacies of clam husbandry.

Uslanja

Well, the clam is on the move again. I'll try, really really try, to fight the temptation of "helping out" and just let it go where it wants. Can these clams climb up the rock if that is where it wants to be?