Our 37 Gallon Display with 10 Gallon Fuge.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Stretch! I just want to see what it feels like! Maybe it won't be a big deal.... or maybe I'll curse the day I wasn't so bright; but it sure will be fun to talk about afterwards!!

Its like poison ivy. Doesn't hurt the palm of ur hands but give it a whirl on the forearm. Ps. Super pic of the zoa!

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

Uslanja

We have been doing battle with the macro algae "Dictyota friabilis". It is easy enough to clean up, but should the tiniest piece break off, it will just attach somewhere and continue to grow. A very tenacious algae for sure. There are several patches of the algae growing on the power heads and return jet in need of a little cleaning.

IMG_8127_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8129_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8130_edited-1.jpg

Uslanja

Today will be the day I clean those power heads! Pretty soon things will be nice and clean again!

I tried grabbing some more photos of the tank but things are growing so close to the glass and the nano brush just doesn't have the scraping power to remove the coraline that is growing there. The brush can remove quite a bit and things will look good to the eye but the spots show up in a photograph. We really need to clean things with a razor blade but there is no room to reach in. And this is why I keep telling Tracy that we need to upgrade to a several hundred gallon sized tank..... so that we have room between the glass and the reef for cleaning! So far my argument is not being received very well.... but I'll keep up with my pathetic begging and maybe, just maybe, Tracy will give in one day!!

Just a bunch of photos. Try to ignore the dirty glass.... please!!

IMG_8153_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8150_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8147_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8146_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8145_edited-1.jpg

IMG_8144_edited-1.jpg

dmatt88

Oh that glass looks horrible haha. Tank looks super. Question, how long has that monti been growing in the first pic. Its beautiful.

glampka

A new huge mega gallon tank would certainly make a wonderful anniversary gift! I'm just saying - it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :rolleyes::bigbounce

Stretch

Aaaaaah.... a pic fix. I was going through withdrawls :p they look great guys!!

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

Uslanja

Hi Matt! That Monti was just a little 2 inch by 2 inch piece a year ago. We had fragged off a chunk last winter but it is just growing faster and faster. It is definitely something to see in person (better than a photo) and has made our 37 something that we love to sit and watch.... but man is it a big coral!!

dmatt88

Hi Matt! That Monti was just a little 2 inch by 2 inch piece a year ago. We had fragged off a chunk last winter but it is just growing faster and faster. It is definitely something to see in person (better than a photo) and has made our 37 something that we love to sit and watch.... but man is it a big coral!!

So there's hope for mine yet. Im debating glueing it yet so far I haven't just waiting. No such luck attaching yet

Uslanja

Our Monti Cap is in dire need of being fragged. It is growing toward the front glass and the only thing that keeps it from attaching there is twice daily glass cleaning with the Two Little Fishes Nano Brush, (an awesome cleaning tool by the way!!) So, we have found a home for the frag and we are hoping to use an X-Acto knife to score a break line along the portion of the monti that has attached to the rock and thereby cause it to break off in one large piece with the two sworl's intact. We are counting on the portion that remains to grow out again. Any thoughts or advice on our plan to create a break line?

As soon as we get up the nerve...... Bye bye Montipora Capricornis!!

IMG_8142_edited-1.jpg

Oh.... by the way..... we picked up a glass cleaning tool that has two stainless steel edges for scraping.... it works fantastic and we highly recommend it..... The "Penn Plax".... and it is made in the USA!!!

Penn Plax Magnet Scraper

catran

Cool, nice magnet. Wow, that's going to be a tough job cutting the Monti. I've seen really experienced guys break Monti's and not get it right. I wish I could help. Maybe you could score it with an exacto knife very lightly, over and over and then break it... Not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uslanja

So.... Tracy and I had a three day Holiday weekend and headed into the US for a little drive about and of course the always looked forward to stop at our favourite store; Salt Water Paradise. I wish everyone could check this place out... it really is a fantastic place!! Anyway, enough of my ranting about our good fortune and on to "the rest of the story";

Here is the spot where Tracy wanted it to go.....

IMG_8185_edited-1.jpg

And exactly what is that Tracy wanted there?

Tracy's new "Jewel Stone", AKA: "Christmas Tree Worm Rock"!

IMG_8190_edited-1.jpg

Here is what we have discovered about this magnificent specimen... The Christmas Tree Worm, or Jewel Stone, was first described in 1766. It has crowns that come in a variety of colours. Just the spiraled crown that is in the shape of a Christmas Tree is seen. The worms body is hidden within the host coral. It has an operculum top, AKA: a trap door, that closes the tube when the worm withdraws. There can be several Christmas Tree Worms in the same area of coral although the worms are not communal. The worm is shy of movement. Since it is purely a filter feeder, their diet should be supplemented with phytoplankton.

We have read conflicting information concerning the placement of this species; Some sources report that it should be placed in a medium flow shaded area for the worms and other sources report that high lighting is necessary. We understand that this is a porite coral and would be categorized as an SPS coral and in that regard would require high lighting. Being as this is a symbiotic coral/worm relationship and the coral must be kept alive if the worms are to survive, we're a little confused about the lighting requirements..... any suggestions or advice?

A close up shot of the worms is proving difficult to obtain..... however getting one of the porite coral and the worm tubes has proven to be quite easy!! The trap door is withdrawn into the tube as the worm descends so can not be seen in the photo.

IMG_8186_edited-1.jpg