OT: Whats in a Name?

WaiWiliki

Re: Whats in a Name?

Waiwiliki is a hawaiian words I slapped together.

Wai = water & wiliki = engineer

I am an engineer but I don't drive trains. Avatar expresses my musical side... "I gotta have more cowbell baby"...... well, maybe the silly side more.:smirk:

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor

I found this thread & I always find things like this very interesting

Well I own Aquatic Aggression & my name is Jack alos it is my Personalized Plates AQTCJAK I will post a picture later

As for the avatar - I enjoy building thing so a real mechanical shark was a perfect fit

goldenmean

From Wikipedia:
The Golden Mean, just like PI (3.14) is another of those strange numbers that we seldom question and very often take for granted. This number is represented by the Greek letter PHI, but dissimilar to PI, the golden mean goes very much unnoticed in our everyday life in such things as buildings, plants and even in living creatures - yet we find these things strangely pleasing on the eye. This is the magical number 1.618.

So how is this number found? An ancient mathematician by the name of Fibonacci discovered that if you start with the numbers 0 and 1 then add them together you get a new number - in this case 1. Easy enough but what if you add the last number and the new number together? You get another new number, 2(See figure below). Keep doing this and you will end up with a very very long list of unique numbers.

This is known as the Fibonacci Series.

0,1 --> add them together gives new number 1
0,1,1 --> add the last two number together and new number is now 2
0,1,1,2 --> add last two numbers together and new number is now 3
0,1,1,2,3 --> add last two numbers together and new number is now 5

The series eventually grows like below into a series of unique numbers

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144, 233,377 to infinity and beyond!

So what I hear you ask? Well, starting from zero and if you take any two SEQUENTIAL numbers and calculate the ratio between them then a very interesting pattern emerges below.

1,0 Ratio = 1 to 0 = 0
1,1 Ratio = 1 to 1 = 1
2,1 Ratio = 2 to 1 = 2
3,2 Ratio = 3 to 2 = 1.5
5,3 Ratio = 5 to 3 = 1.6666
8,5 Ratio = 8 to 5 = 1.6
13,8 Ratio = 13 to 8 = 1.625
21,13 Ratio = 21 to13 = 1.61538
34,21 Ratio = 34 to 21 = 1.61538
55,34 Ratio = 55 to 34 = 1.61764
89,55 Ratio = 89 to 55 = 1.6181
144,89 Ratio = 144 to 89 = 1.6179

If you keep going you will see that the decimal figure will revolve around the magic number 1.618. OK, I here you ask, but what is the point? Well lets look at the example of how the golden mean occurs in nature. Take a look at the diagram below. Notice that it is made up solely of squares, yet the overall image is a rectangle. This rectangle, if you measure it, has the magic ratio of 1.618. Also if you look at the curved lines within each of the squares you will notice that these are in fact quarter circles, but, as a whole you would be forgiven for thinking that they look like the cross section of a sea shell.
And you'd be right, for this is the same as the growth rate of the beautiful Nautilus Sea Shell - i.e. 1.618.

At least since the Renaissance, many artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio—especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio—believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing.

In philosophy, the golden mean is the desirable middle between two extremes, one of excess and the other of deficiency.

My current avatar and the tag line. "who watches the watchmen"
is from the graphic novel from the 1980s, "The Watchmen" which is currently being made into a movie with a spring 2008 release date.
The smiley face with the bullet hole is representative of the doomsday clock.
The blood stain is actually the minute hand.
I feel with the state of current world situations it is fitting today

rebekwl

Whoa, now my brain hurts!

My name is Rebekah and my husband's name is William. When we signed up for an AOL account years ago that's what they came up with. I've used it ever sense, nothing exciting.

kathywithbirds

Yeah, I think I need to go read a nice smut novel to clear my head.

I have birds. At one time a lot of birds. The avatar depends on mood.

BEELZEBOB

"The 5th deadly sin is GLUTTONY and is represented by the demon Beelzebub (also known as The Lord of the Flies). Beelzebub began his career as a Canaanite deity who name in Hebrew (Baal Zebub) meant Lord of the Flies, and then later came to be equated with Satan. As a sin he rules over all excessive eating and drinking.

The endless maw of the glutton is never satiated, and he or she is never satisfied. The glutton lives to eat and soon escalates to forgetting gratitude. The pursuit goes on and leads to a specific damnation: the glutton in hell will dine on toads and be forced to drink putrid water. The opposing virtue is Sobriety."
beelzebub_new.jpg

thats BEELZEBUB

this is BEELZEBOB

Attachments

• BOBHIMSELF.jpg
    BOBHIMSELF.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 37

BEELZEBOB

Beelzebub.gif

this ones kinda foul; but its suppose to be beelzebub, lord of the flies, Alice in wonderland status

reefman420

.I am a repoman many of my other s/n are with it but i joined a reef forum hence reefman,well reefman420,reefman because of my ever forgoing passion for the beautifull reef,and 420 is my other habit.lol...i know i know its so bad but u know what.pepole smoke get hungrey and sleep,i just zone out at my display tank...with meth or coke pepole go steel and kill and depend on it.happy 420 to all....

my avatar is actually my album cover.minneapolis's finest is me..under potencey entertainment..if u like rap or hip hop check me out..peace

DrHank

I tried to combine a fish that I enjoy keeping and bones that I work on every day. Add a bit of a smirk for character. The name is what most of my patients call me by because it's easier than Hankison that everyone mispronounces.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor

I found this thread & I always find things like this very interesting

Well I own Aquatic Aggression & my name is Jack alos it is my Personalized Plates AQTCJAK I will post a picture later

As for the avatar - I enjoy building thing so a real mechanical shark was a perfect fit

Attachments

• AQTCJAK.jpg
    AQTCJAK.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 22

If you're wondering about my screen name I found it on wikipedia.
"The poet Finn Eces spent seven years fishing for the Salmon of Knowledge. When he finally caught it, he instructed his apprentice, Fionn mac Cumhaill , to prepare it for him. Fionn burned his thumb when spattered with some of the hot fat from the cooking salmon and immediately sucked on it to ease the pain. He could access it whenever he put his thumb in his mouth. It was this incredible knowledge and wisdom gained from the Salmon of Knowledge that allowed Fionn to become the leader of the Fianna, the famed heroes of Irish myth."
I took Fionn mac and tweeked it to Fionn Matt. As a newb I hope to gain this knowledge with the help of you.

:doh: looks like i already spilt the beans on my Meet and Greet thread. oh well. Instead of sucking on my :thumbup: i just use my index finger to :read:

Last edited:

Kazzy

It's my friend Jordan's middle name rewritten(Cassie), though it sounds a little different. She decided it was an awesome name and told me I had to use it. I just said what the hay and did it.

Melanie

Hmmm, my screen name is my real first name. I'm creative like that. My avatar was one I found when I typed "fish gif" into google. I like moving pics.

framerguy

I am "the Framerguy" to my customers that don't know my name yet. I am NOT however the fARmerguy as some like to think, although I did go on a hayride once. My avatar is what I think is my best painting to date. It is of my daughter set in a mountain scene from where I live.

cioutlaw

When I was dragracing a group from my area started going to an street racing event that took place at the track, normally about 200-300 cars grudge racing for$$ & drew in 2000+ spectators. All the different regions or different towns had a name ...kinda like a club & we were the Central Illinois Outlaws, we later became the Champaign Mafia. Anyway my name on racing message boards became cioutlaw.

cioutlaw

I am "the Framerguy" to my customers that don't know my name yet. I am NOT however the fARmerguy as some like to think, although I did go on a hayride once. My avatar is what I think is my best painting to date. It is of my daughter set in a mountain scene from where I live.

Wow your avatar is small but the painting looks very good!

framerguy

Wow your avatar is small but the painting looks very good!
Thanks- the original painting is an oil 60"x72" (5x6ft). I've threatened to give it to my daughter (Tonya) as a wedding gift if and when that day comes, she'll just have to build a house big enough to put it in LOL!