OT Threads

ReefLady

Staff member
You know... it's impossible for me to please everyone all the time, but I do my best. some of you aren't going to like this, but I feel it is the best thing for RS...

I'm taking off-topic threads off the home page.

When we were a young struggling pup of a forum, the OT threads helped us keep a level of activity and build community. It was important then, and it's important now.

However, as we grow and things compete for attention on the home page, we have to keep in mind that our core purpose is to be a reef aquarium community.

It is with this in mind that Doni and I have decided to no longer feature OT threads on the home page. This will hopefully concentrate our focus on what brought us all here, the topic we ALL have in common.

I know some of you will be upset at this. However, I do believe that this move will allow us to keep a more "free-wheeling" tone to the off-topic threads as well. So we're preserving the core purpose of RS, and also preserving the way OT has been handled. Because it has become clear that something had to change.

Comments are welcome and encouraged, as always, either here or in private if you prefer.
And feel free to use this as an opportunity to haze our new moderators. ;)

Travis

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
works for me. I see a "need" for OT but that's not what we want "Broadcast" for all to see when they first visit the site.

BarbMazz

I don't have a problem with this at all! It's no trouble to find the OT threads.. another click or two and you're there.

You have to do what's best for the board, and like you said, keep the focus on reefkeeping. After all, it's what we're all about!

Varga

I agree with "little linky".

Even those who are here only for the OT are still contributing through sponsor exposure :)

nikkipigtails

I think that's a good decision. I really like the OT threads and I think they're what make this site different from RC. We get to know each other a lot better here...it's not a dry.

kathywithbirds

Thanks!! :coffee: :chair:

... from the lazy ones. :D Ya know, maybe I just need to up the caffei.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzSHHNORKzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :zzz:

kathywithbirds

YOu know, now that I'm thinking about it (I do that occasionally), the linky or whatever could be the "other stuff" forum altogether. Yes? No? Maybe? Too much thinkin??

dobejazz

I think it's a good idea Travis

Thanks for Keeping RS such a cool place to surf while dealing with the growing pains as well

Stacef

I do agree with you also. Although, I do believe that OT's help to make this such a better tight knit community.

Wait am I misunderstanding? There will STILL be OT's?? Or just no more altogether?

BarbMazz

The OT's are alive and well. They just won't show up anymore on the home page when you open it.

You can click on "Forums" and page down to the OT forum, and voila! there they'll be.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
they just wont be "publicized" on the home page. Imagine if it was your FIRST visit here and the whole front page was scrolling with just "OT" threads. They will still be there you'll just have to GO to them :)

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ok, makes sense, now, OT threads will be there when we click "new post" on the menu bar...just not the home page "recent posts" Correct?

Stacef

Ok good!! Phew you all had me worried. Will they still show up on iSpy?

I do completely understand taking them off though so that first impressions aren't distorted!