Orange shoulder Tang - black spots

Zvejkus

Hello people,

does anyone know, what this could be? My Orange shoulder tang(A. olivaceus) got after 14 days in my tank these black points. It does not look like typical white spot disease when stressed fish is in new territory together with lot of other fishes.

Thank you for all your comments and advices.

Here are some pics of the disease:
img4817bz.jpg

img4825b.jpg

Zvejkus

Re: Orange shoulde Tang - black spots

Yes, it can be also this disease. But how to get rid of that without need of rework the whole tank. As you know, most of tangs are very fast and like to hide in caves or under reef. Even when I just added new fish, my Blue tang got white spots. He just got rid of that, so I dont want to stress it much more, when I will have to remove half of my live rock from tank.

jpsika08

You're right, catching one of them can really stress them, my Powder Blue Tang died because of Stress, it provoked Ick on him.

Hopefully Lee will give you an answer for this, good luck.

GrendelPrime

im by far an expert on deseases but i would think if it was ich it would be more like salt sprinkled those dots seem more like blotches and it dosent seem like normal ich and hopefuly Lee will chime in on this 1

Zvejkus

Well, on the orange shoulder one, it is like tiny black spots. They are starting to dissapear. Yesterday I saw one bigger, about 1-2mm pigment spot between body and posterior fin. On Blue tang started white spots from stress how I am preparing for catching the orange shoulder tang. I saw on blue tang also one brown spot same size as the clown has, but it looks more like white spots, just different collor.

If it is black spot ich, I am in big problems, cause I will have to move all my fishes to different tank. Some will probably die by stress, some will survive. But the same will happen, when I will just let them to be in the current tank. Its quite big dillema.

Lee, please can you give me any advice? Everyone says, you are the best here, so I would like to know your oppinion.

Thanks.

Zdenek

leebca

The fish will likely need treatment for Black Ich. The 'black spots' are really blood caused by the parasite. The parasite (a tiny worm actually) is invisible to the unaided human eye.

There are three different choices for treatment. Freshwater (FW) baths or Formalin baths, or both. A series of 4 or 5 baths, done one every other day, is needed.

You will follow this guideline for the FW bath EXCEPT you will leave the fish in there for 10 minutes: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/31523-freshwater-dip-process.html

If you choose the Formalin process, then this is the treatment you will follow: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...s/50755-formalin-treatment-marine-fishes.html

Each is the same: 4 or 5 dips, one every other day until the total is done.

Which to choose is up to you. Most professionals prefer to do both. This is a stubborn parasite. On day 1 I give the FW dip. Day 2 the Formalin dip. Day 3 the FW dip. Day 4 the Formalin dip. Etc.

As for catching this fish -- remember that someone in the ocean caught this fish. You only have to catch it in a small container! Next, you are smarter than the fish (an assumption on my part, I know! :eek: )

The catching of a fish should not and does not need to be stressful. The problem is that you're not used to it nor good at it. An LFS owner can do it in a few seconds. You might have to compensate for lack of experience with being clever. . .another assumption.

This thread lists ideas of how to catch fish: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...41546-goin-fishin-catching-fish-aquarium.html Try to be confident and it will be fine.

If you think the catching of the fish will be stressful, just how stressful is it on the fish that is dieing of this parasite -- because if left untreated, the fish will die. Don't fool yourself. :faces:

Now, regarding 'white spots' there is a chance you have both parasites in there together. Not good. First you must do as best a diagnosis as you can. This post has a diagnostic section at the beginning -- follow that: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

The picture shows the likeliehood of this being Black Ich. Let me know if you think you have Black Ich AND Marine Ich or, one or the other, or neither.

Good luck! :)

Zvejkus

Thanks for answer Lee.

One more question. Progress of this disease is so the fish looks like it is ok right now. No black spots anymore, no signs of panic or feed problems. It behaves like normal healthy fish. I have read about the black ich, that it will come again in waves as the worms get to adult stadium and try to fing a host in the water. What for treatment of my tank do you recommend?