Open Brain Placement

fruit bat

Has anyone had any success placing an open brain coral on the rock rather than in the substrate?

When we had a Red Sea Max130 we put one right at the top of the rock, directly in the flow from the pumps and it thrived beautifully. I tried to replicate its' positioning when we upgraded to a Red Seax Max 250 but it soon stopped feeding and rapidly died.

We replaced it at the weekend and the new Brain opened initially, but last night looked less "puufy" and didnt seem to extend it's feeding tentacles in the dark. Tonight I will reposition it on the sustrate and hope it recovers.

I know most people say they should be on the substrate, but how many have got them on the rock ?

GrendelPrime

i think an issue is the rock irritating there flesh and if they get a abrasion it can quickly lead to them crapping the bed, IMO it might look cool on the rocks but the sand bed is the best way to go

Yeah I agree, the placement could be securely done in the rock work but the flesh is very tender and will get caught on most rock work.