Oneinamillion's RSM 130, new owner

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Well, I'll admit I haven't always worn gloves working with them. If I'm mixing epoxy putty to mount them it's tough to do with gloves on. As long as you have no cuts on your hands, and don't lick your fingers, and don't get squirted in your eyes or mouth, and wash up after, it's probably not a problem, but why take a chance? The biggest reason I wear gloves is to avoid getting bristled by a bristleworm.

If you really want to be safe wear full arm gloves if you'll be putting an arm in the tank. There are other things in the water that may be worse than coral toxins, such as Vibrio.

Vibrio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only time I wear my full length gloves is if I'll be moving rock or will have my arm in the tank for an extended period. I currently have no Euphyllia in the tank - those used to sting me.

It's a war in these tanks - corals fighting corals, and us against them and the critters LOL! :)

The bigger one (the palythoa?) opened up.
036.jpg

I dont know if you can see in the picture but there's like a white slimy film on the right side.. what is that?

Does anyone know the name of the zoas and palys? They sure are pretty though

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see them opening. I usually call the bigger ones on longer stalks Palys and the shorter ones Zoas, but I'm not sure that's accurate. I've read different opinions on which is which. Some say Palys take up sand or other sediment into the mat that they grow from, and that Zoas don't take up sediment. Then you'll read some saying...

"The difference between the Zoanthus (Button Polyps) and the Palythoa (Sea Mat) species is that Button Polyps, although colonial, do not share a common mat. They grow as individuals where the Sea Mats have a fibrous encrusting mat. Individuals of the Palythoa species can not be separated without cutting through this fibrous mat. Most Palythoa are sold as Button Polyps as the two species are very similar."

Zoanthids - Coral Information Database - Nano-Reef.com

Take your pick, or find more opinions LOL! It doesn't much matter as long as you enjoy them.

Im having some trouble with the Tunze working properly. I took David Shaw's advice on a different thread and adjust the air so bubble come up to the neck (without the intank cup attached) and then adjusted the skimmer itself to get proper bubbling. However, when I put the intank cup on, the bubbles only come up to about 1/2 way through the cylinder and do not make it up to the top. The only way the bubbles come up all the way is if I lower the skimmer itself below into the water even more, and that just produces wet aqueous overloading.

I also received 2 black air hoses (not the white one that is attached to the blue screw) .. do those attach anywhere?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Adjust it with the cup on, till the bubbles are at the bottom of the cup neck, and wait. If it's a new 9002 they do need a break in period of a day to a couple days. Then make very small adjustments in the air valve and wait to see what those do. I got mine used (only 2 months by an equipment tester), in the original box, and it came with extra airline. I assumed those were replacement air line if ever needed? But mine were the same color - in my case a green color.

UPDATE: Got the tunze working, I had to glue a second magnet on the top. The one magnet on the back didn't stop the tunze from tilting over to one side or the other and it would mess with the water level. Now, it is skimming great.

Few pictures from last week:

side view
009.jpg

baby elegance
016.jpg

Small xenia
019.jpg

12 gallon flatback hexagon I bought from a fellow reefer over the weekend. Had to reaquascape it which took forever and added 7 red hermits to clean up the sand, 2 cerith snails, 2 turbos. It has 1 clown that is about 3" and grown that absolutely loves the return pumps flow. BTW, that's water dripping down I forgot to wipe down, not scratches.
025.jpg

Frogspawn in the 12gal
030-1.jpg

Long wavy xenia (closed)
031-1.jpg

Candy cane
032.jpg

Clown
034.jpg

Okay, back to the RSM130.
Full tank shot. You can see the diatom explosion. I added 7 blue legged hermits, 5 nassarius and 3 cerith and they clean it a little but the snails end up on the glass and the crabs on the rock. Any suggestions for this mess? I was thinking a diamond goby.
005-4.jpg

Elegance today. Showing growth in the tentacles
007-4.jpg

Palys and zoas. This still freakin terrify me.
008-2.jpg

Mushrooms. the diatom is clear in the last few pics. All taken today
009-1.jpg

The frogspawn in the RSM is an indication on how much better the lighting is compared to the PCs i have over the 12 gal. So FAT.
010-2.jpg

I have slime coming off the candy cane. It's place high in the RSM. too much light? What's wrong with it?
012.jpg

If i'm not mistaken, you can see the snail's trail in the diatom. but this guy will only stick to the glass. I may have to cut the lighting down to 6 hours from 10 daily. And not feed daily but every other day.
013-1.jpg

Fire shrimp came out of its cave for some food
016-1.jpg

Should i be worried my clown never sleeps? It eats but barely any. I tried pellets, frozen and flakes. It wont even touch the flakes. Also tried dried nori for kicks, no go.

That's it for the time being. Any tips on the clown, the diatom mess and the candy cane slime appreciated. Looking to get a small diamond goby this week. And maybe a pair of juvi black clowns next week if things are still stable.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice corals and the 12 gallon is a nice smaller tank too. I'm not sure what's up with the candy cane - hopefully it's temporary. If the clown in new it can sometimes take a couple days before they start eating. Hopefully the diatom is just a phase and will go away on it's own. You could siphon some of it out, at the expense of losing some substrate. I think Cerith snails are good to clean up the diatom, if you get enough of them, and the hermits don't wipe them out. Cutting the light to 6 hours should help, but may just prolong the diatom eating up the silicates.

Dweezil

I would move the candy cane down lower. Mine is in the sand bed and doing very well. Great corals BTW :)

Thanks! Yeah I moved the candy cane down to the sand and it seems to be doing much better. This morning it was up top and starting to look brown even so I think it was too much lighting.

The clown actually starting eating today. It feeds cautiously directly out of my hand at the top of the water (eating flakes) and eats pellets. It still won't sleep though lol

Setragni

Thanks! Yeah I moved the candy cane down to the sand and it seems to be doing much better. This morning it was up top and starting to look brown even so I think it was too much lighting.

The clown actually starting eating today. It feeds cautiously directly out of my hand at the top of the water (eating flakes) and eats pellets. It still won't sleep though lol

He is sleeping believe me, if you see them at night swimming on the same spot or upside down it means he is asleep. They never stop moving, Unless they are sleeping on a anemone or coral .