ok wife wants a clam.

Jackalope

ive tried a few dif. clams before and they've died. 2 because they where actually missing there foot from LFS, so they were doomed from the start. another died... well idk why, but i'd like to know whats the lowest light type of clam. ive heard the golds by far need the highest amount, but i dont want a gold one anyhow. atm my par is interesting. its approx. 55 at the bottom (where i have a monti. cap. thats doing awesome amasingly) and about 75 at the top of my shelf.

if thats not enough light which im sure its prolly not. what would be a good amount for it? 200ish? im still running w/o reflectors atm on my 8T5 HO lighting, so when i get my tek2's i'll re-run the test for par.

any suggestions will be appreciated!

jpsika08

James, here I found a couple of clams that can be under moderate lightning,

Saltwater Aquarium Clams for Marine Reef Aquariums: Derasa Clam - Aquacultured
Saltwater Aquarium Clams for Marine Reef Aquariums: Derasa Clam, Thin Bar - Aquacultured

Based on Liveaquaria, Moderate lightning refers to:
"Moderate lighting levels duplicate the mid depths of the reef in nature, and represent the lighting requirements of a large number of the corals and invertebrates offered. Species that fall into this category are very flexible in regards to the lighting conditions. For example, they can be placed at the top of an aquarium with low-moderate lighting, or at the middle to bottom of aquariums with high lighting.

Provide a lighting intensity of 2-4 watts per gallon using Compact Fluorescent Lighting, VHO or T-5 Fluorescents. Illuminate the aquarium using a 50/50 mix of daylight and actinic lighting. For larger aquariums, consider using Metal Halides to cut down on bulb replacement costs. "

Hope it helps :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello Jack, Welcome to RS :)

Not only is lighting very important to clams, (personally MH's are the way to go for clams) water quality is a key factor.

Lets take a look at your water parameters and tanks age. Could you provide real time test results of

Calcium
magnesium
Alkalinity
PH
Salinity and salt brand
Temperature
Nitrates
Phosphates

Maybe we can figure out why you have had bad luck so far with clams.

Frank

ViperDoug

I tried Triacnid clams three times. The first one lasted the longest and I still had it after the second and third one died. I run T5 lights. I am not really sure why they died. One problem I did have with them was the tumble factor. It was really hard to find a sopt with low water movement and high lighting where they were stable. The second and third ones kept tumbling and I wondered if that is why they died. I really want to try them again since I think they are stunning and cool but decided to wait a little while.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Maxima time. I have alot of algae in sump yet strong t5 lighting and decent flow. Both mine r doing tremendous. Good luck.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

DesertOrchid

The deresa clam is a wonderful hardy clam that grows well in lower light. Beautiful colorations too which ever variety you get. Good luck!

ViperDoug

Does anyone think the fact that mine took a few tumbles down the rock was what killed them? Also, do any of you feed your Maxima clams? I've read that once they are over
2" they don't require feeding. Is that true. If you do feed them, how often and what are you feeding them?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello Doug,

Clams do not need to be fed. They are filter feeders. What they eat you will not provided directly.

They best way to keep clams is good lighting and perfect stable water quality.

Jack, still waiting for those water test results!

Frank

FCatCH76

I kept 1 Crocea and 3 Maxima's in my 29 biocube, the first year was stock lighting- 72 watt PC's and then I did the nanotuner upgrade to 144w PC. After two years they moved into my RSM 250 with T5's 234w. Up until recently, I was always fighting nitrates around 20 ppm (API). I started vodka dosing and in the last 4 months finally have no trates. The clams thrived and showed great growth through my beginning years with the BC29 and then showed even more in the RSM.

My key to success, like Frankie states is stable water, for me it wasn't perfect, but at least stable. Then, the clams were always kept high in either tank, as close to the light as possible. Alk, calcium and magnesium kept at good, stable levels.

HTH

Frank C