OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Thanks;

Yes they are nice, i'm very please with them, i've unpacked a cylinder, perfect to hide my wavebox or a pipe. It will be less work than sculpting this time around. My heart wasn't in it for two tank this time. I'll be adding some rocks to have my amount of LB required but less will be taking my fish room space. They're very porous too, heavier than dry rock though. And when the corals are stuck into this wall, perfect.

Willie McDaries

Basile, the lemon, cucumber, and potato are really colorful and all but I don't think they are reef friendly and that shoe may make the fish jump outta the tank if it smells like mine do LOL

Basile

Basile, the lemon, cucumber, and potato are really colorful and all but I don't think they are reef friendly and that shoe may make the fish jump outta the tank if it smells like mine do LOL

Ya i hear that if frightened the shoe fish can kick you in the ass too , lol. you crak me up. But the cucumber should be ok.........lol. A lemon for the lemon shark and any potatoe fish no??? But seriously those picture they show us are always a guess on how big or how we are going to be able to fit them in . Until i got mine i was wondering, thats why i did it to show a bit of scale to the crevasses much more accurate than the first blank. I don't know maybe i'm imagining thing but thats how i see it.

Willie McDaries

Ya i hear that if frightened the shoe fish can kick you in the ass too , lol. you crak me up. But the cucumber should be ok.........lol. A lemon for the lemon shark and any potatoe fish no??? But seriously those picture they show us are always a guess on how big or how we are going to be able to fit them in . Until i got mine i was wondering, thats why i did it to show a bit of scale to the crevasses much more accurate than the first blank. I don't know maybe i'm imagining thing but thats how i see it.

LOL I was just teasing you Basile, don't turn the shoe fish loose on me LOL

I know those were just there to show the size for scale, and it looks plenty big enough too, I hate that when you look at pics of something on the www and there's nothing there to compare it to so you can actually see the size of it...just like some coral frags, they look like they are as big as a baseball in the pics but when you get it, it's about the size of your small finger nail LOL

I'm really glad to see you getting back in to reefing, really missed you around here man :)

Basile

LOL I was just teasing you Basile, don't turn the shoe fish loose on me LOL

I know those were just there to show the size for scale, and it looks plenty big enough too, I hate that when you look at pics of something on the www and there's nothing there to compare it to so you can actually see the size of it...just like some coral frags, they look like they are as big as a baseball in the pics but when you get it, it's about the size of your small finger nail LOL

I'm really glad to see you getting back in to reefing, really missed you around here man :)

I know you where kidding it was too easy not to do the same with a jumping shoe....lol the kick ass came running straight at me lol. Yes the perception of dept is really bad on are flat screen and some shots and those taking pics sometimes ya they want to sell but christ!!! thay take a tumbnail size and ask the price of a diamond for it Dahhh . It make no sense to me. Ya i don't feel great really still on the pills for a long while before i get better. But this is good for me and i like doing it i just have lots of energy issues. i can sleep 48 hr straight no problem. anyway i hope i get this thing going in the next two months, i get the final price tomorrow then its in theory 8 weeks before delivery. Mid october let say. I'll have fish for Xmass, lol. Yeh!!!lol

Willie McDaries

I will soon be draining my tank, we bought another house and I'll be moving my tank into storage for a while, I'm gonna set up a 120 to keep my fish and coral in but my plywood tank will be dry docked until I can build on a room just for it, the humidity has been a bit destructive to this house so I hope to have a much better place for it next time around and since the blue clove polyps have taken over, I'll probable be bleaching a lot of my rock and do a complete restart in the 360g...and I will try some of the stuff like you did in your last tank with my rockwork, I want some cool looking pillars like you had and I might do a hanging rock or an upside down coral of some sort too :)

Basile

I will soon be draining my tank, we bought another house and I'll be moving my tank into storage for a while, I'm gonna set up a 120 to keep my fish and coral in but my plywood tank will be dry docked until I can build on a room just for it, the humidity has been a bit destructive to this house so I hope to have a much better place for it next time around and since the blue clove polyps have taken over, I'll probable be bleaching a lot of my rock and do a complete restart in the 360g...and I will try some of the stuff like you did in your last tank with my rockwork, I want some cool looking pillars like you had and I might do a hanging rock or an upside down coral of some sort too :)

Did you have a dehumidifier or an air-exchanger if not it would be a good idea to have to avoid that next time. As for my last build up if i can give you one pointer just don't skip the on the resin coatings, you need 3 with different layers of sand to create a crust so the snails and others don't damage the sealer or the foam will take on water and things can start floating lol. Just a friendly advice here. As for the stalactite , cool i may or may not do one this time i'll see later on. It will be a contest just like Face-OFF, my favorite show now.

jerry26

i find window a/c units to be quite effective dehumidifiers and do an excellent job keeping the tank temp down when its in its own room. definitely a little more unstable than a chiller though.

Basile

i find window a/c units to be quite effective dehumidifiers and do an excellent job keeping the tank temp down when its in its own room. definitely a little more unstable than a chiller though.

Yes but winter time the tank still produce a lot of humidity and you can't use an AC then, you need a dehumidifier or the best is an air-exchanger, more expensive, but so is renovations to windows or walls. So $ 3000 on the windows and walls every 4 years or once to shed that humidity and get good fresh air year round. Thats what i'm doing . I'm having one installed this fall for about $ 2800 + It also removes all polens and helps during flue seasons. Air and heat exchange transfer, not to loose heat during winter they have a ceramic heat block , very cool and efficient machine 150w and start at 45% humidity when set by me it will start.

HRVSchematic.gif

how-heat-recovery-ventilation-works.gif

air_heat_recovery_634591312731954507_6.jpg

EV130_dooropen_copy.jpg

jerry26

if theyre actually angled properly and the drains are kept clean, theyre not going to hurt walls or windows. the winters here in indiana are usually cold enough that humidity is not a problem.

but hey, if you got the money for something like that i say go for it. i would actually like to hear how one works out in the real world.

Basile

if theyre actually angled properly and the drains are kept clean, theyre not going to hurt walls or windows. the winters here in indiana are usually cold enough that humidity is not a problem.

but hey, if you got the money for something like that i say go for it. i would actually like to hear how one works out in the real world.

Actually with my last tank the humidity was frosting the windows inside and because are tanks are running at 78-80 oF and the glass is cold it would freeze on it and i would get like 1 inch of thick ice on the window edges and it could cause damages over time, and that was only with my 65 G. Now i'm having a system with 3 open tanks, 150G, 75g and a 40 g sump all releasing humidity in the same room. So i'm taking no chance this time round. I own the condo but the outside belongs to the Coop and they can shut me down.....with a court order, like the last time. And then get really nasty......

Willie McDaries

I have the frosted windows in the winter too Basile, I will likely add a bathroom ceiling mounted fan to help with air movement for the room that my tank will be in but I've got a feeling I'll have to add the heat exchanger like you posted, I may look into getting a dehumidifier first though, my tank humidity was actually worse in the winter than the summer because I do run a window unit AC in there now and it helps greatly with the humidity.....

heating my house in the winter was done with less electrical cost than cooling it in the summer, it only required 2 ( sometimes 3 when the outside temps dip below freezing and stays for a few days ) of the little oil filled radiator style electric heaters running only about at 50% of their output, the old house is about 1500 square foot.....sometimes having 450 gallons of 80 degree water is a good thing LOL

but it's all a long way off yet for the rebuild of my tank, I still have plenty of time to plan it out better this time around...I was in such a rush to get a big tank going last time that it was not properly done, to be honest, the humidity issue never crossed my mind :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I would think that a dehumidifier would be the cheaper easier way to go and in the winter, it would actually help throw a little warm air into the house as well as keep the humidity at bay.

Basile

Ok i couldn't resist this morning i opened a few more;

Photo001.jpg

I know i'm weird, lol just fooling around...

Photo004.jpg

Bottom

Photo017.jpg

Photo005.jpg

Photo010.jpg

Thick and can stand on its own

Photo011.jpg

Very flat

Photo012.jpg

Photo014.jpg

Photo015.jpg

Photo013.jpg

Photo008.jpg

Basile

I have the frosted windows in the winter too Basile, I will likely add a bathroom ceiling mounted fan to help with air movement for the room that my tank will be in but I've got a feeling I'll have to add the heat exchanger like you posted, I may look into getting a dehumidifier first though, my tank humidity was actually worse in the winter than the summer because I do run a window unit AC in there now and it helps greatly with the humidity.....

heating my house in the winter was done with less electrical cost than cooling it in the summer, it only required 2 ( sometimes 3 when the outside temps dip below freezing and stays for a few days ) of the little oil filled radiator style electric heaters running only about at 50% of their output, the old house is about 1500 square foot.....sometimes having 450 gallons of 80 degree water is a good thing LOL

but it's all a long way off yet for the rebuild of my tank, I still have plenty of time to plan it out better this time around...I was in such a rush to get a big tank going last time that it was not properly done, to be honest, the humidity issue never crossed my mind :)

If you have lots of problems with humidity in the winter, until you see an air exchanger at work we have here, they've been invented for are winters here in Canada ; you don't know what your missing. If you want to know more i have a link somewhere. They're not sold in the state , not are's anyway. But we have one's here that go for $ 800 about that you can install yourself, that you can pick up at Home depot, or Reno, Reno- depot. Now some of you guys are much more handy than me with building stuff and you wouldn't have any problems instaling this. They're made for sefl install. They can cover entire houses . Ask your home depot about getting that stuff from Canada. i'll find the link again. Its easy and low cost to operate year round, it replaces dehumidifiers and works with AC ,bringing the cost of AC down as well. Mine cost more because i'm not installing it on the second floor and it has to be done by professionals according to are contract. My unit cost $ 500 + installation. You control the unit at what % of humidity you want it to start to change the air as well. Its very flexible. It also have detectors i beleive if you are cooking it will start and get rid of kitchen smoke or bathroom steam. Very smart machine.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/whole-house-air-exchanger/807518

http://www.venmar.ca/

Willie McDaries

I would think that a dehumidifier would be the cheaper easier way to go and in the winter, it would actually help throw a little warm air into the house as well as keep the humidity at bay.

that's probably what I'll start with, that and a ceiling mounted exhaust fan and see if I need to do more afterwards, I don't really think it's gonna be as big of an issue if I can contain it within a smaller room, or at least it wont destroy the rest of the house LOL

If you have lots of problems with humidity in the winter, until you see an air exchanger at work we have here, they've been invented for are winters here in Canada ; you don't know what your missing. If you want to know more i have a link somewhere. They're not sold in the state , not are's anyway. But we have one's here that go for $ 800 about that you can install yourself, that you can pick up at Home depot, or Reno, Reno- depot. Now some of you guys are much more handy than me with building stuff and you wouldn't have any problems instaling this. They're made for sefl install. They can cover entire houses . Ask your home depot about getting that stuff from Canada. i'll find the link again. Its easy and low cost to operate year round, it replaces dehumidifiers and works with AC ,bringing the cost of AC down as well. Mine cost more because i'm not installing it on the second floor and it has to be done by professionals according to are contract. My unit cost $ 500 + installation. You control the unit at what % of humidity you want it to start to change the air as well. Its very flexible. It also have detectors i beleive if you are cooking it will start and get rid of kitchen smoke or bathroom steam. Very smart machine.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/whole-house-air-exchanger/807518

http://www.venmar.ca/

yep, I've been looking at those too Basile and I thing it would solve all my issues but I'll start with the least expensive rout first and go from there

your rocks look amazing too, that gonna look awesome in the tank once they get all colored up and coral growing on 'em

Basile

that's probably what I'll start with, that and a ceiling mounted exhaust fan and see if I need to do more afterwards, I don't really think it's gonna be as big of an issue if I can contain it within a smaller room, or at least it wont destroy the rest of the house LOL

yep, I've been looking at those too Basile and I thing it would solve all my issues but I'll start with the least expensive rout first and go from there

your rocks look amazing too, that gonna look awesome in the tank once they get all colored up and coral growing on 'em

This is a tank with new panels

Tank-first-setup-rockwork.jpg

Then 10 months later

10-month-progression.jpg

The thing is with those i get about 60 % of my rock volume and weight so i save my foot print and detritus gathering structure on my sand, its all win win win for my tank. No sculpting, less footprint, more swimming fishroom, better waterflow all together, more grazing room for the fish, using an entire panel otherwise unused , the only things is that i have to make it totally stick and water proof on the back not to have small pockets that could harbor detritus that could play havock with my nitrates and amonia. So i'll have to silicone and foam water proof the whole thing on the edges, and in between, before filling it with water; with pond foam that i've already ordered. Its fish and UV safe, its for outside ponds. On that particular picture i think the guy missed by using black sand.....white sand gives so much better contrast don't you think?

Basile

Tank and setup are beautiful, congrats.

Indeed the end result is stunning.

LOL , yes but its A tank not mine, i was just showing what you can do and what the panels will look in mine when i do it later on when those tanks are finally delivered , thats should be in october. I will have some sort of rock arangement then , i've got an idea which i will only share then lol, stay tune if you want to see , its something i've never seen anywhere yet so it should make an impact lol he he

jpsika08

LOL, sorry , I thought it was yours, that's why I thought to myself, "Did I just went fast forward?", Nevertheless, it's a stunning tank hahaha.

Good luck with yours and hope to see more updates.