OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Glad to find your official tank thread!
I dont get the need for the boxes at all. Why not just run the plumbing straight into the C2C.
I did all my drains and return into the tank with no box, but it requires about 3" x 3" internal box minimum (4"x4" for removal of fittings.)
I have to say the plans are a bit overwhelming, but you will have a masterpiece for sure.

Another option. Why not buy a premade tank to use as a sump? Seems easier and more economical.

Here are some helpful planning links ive used.

Drilling chart here ~~~~|> Inside Aquatics • View topic - Bulkhead to Hole Size

FlowRate calculator ~~|> Bean Animal's Bar and Grill - Hydraulics for the Aquarist

Well in my last tank my C2C was too large and took too much room, in this one it will only 1" 1/2 wide and 5" deep , my tank is only 18 wide and 19" high so i want to minimise the footprint inside the tank, the external boxes let me do that, The second box for the loop is because i want to avoid snails, sand, or algae going to my pump because those thing are not covered in any garanty, read yours very carefull, cause its specify very clearly, so the jagged edge C2C should prevent the snail and weeds to get in there, the sand should stay put in the bottom of the tank even if i move something. I still and confuse a bit about the alignment of the hole yet but i'm gettint there. My C2C will be 1" from the edge on the tank i'm working on a sketch for that now for the builders to follow they don't accept any plans until every detail has been adressed so still on it . But i'm having fun . Thanks for following if you have any ideas, shoot. After the syphon system is put in place Spaflex will take over to the sum and the same for all the plumbing its much more silent. The cost , i don't care about the cost, its has no cost, this project has no cost just i want it!.

jkef2010

I have absolutely no clue about anything your saying but i'm so excited to see this tank come to life I think its going to be a huge beauty so I am defiantly going to follow you along with this tank. Good luck on everything and I wish you everything but success.

Ps. Stay updated :)

Basile

I have absolutely no clue about anything your saying but i'm so excited to see this tank come to life I think its going to be a huge beauty so I am defiantly going to follow you along with this tank. Good luck on everything and I wish you everything but success.

Ps. Stay updated :)

Thanks, lots of it i'm just making it up as i go lol. But lots of it is serious calculations that has to be revised evrytime i'm changing one element or another so sometime they overlap anf its no use keeping up the design until its all decided and finished. i'm meeting the manufacturer next week with the plans and we'll proceed from there, lots has change from these since then i'll show the final later next week. And the price tags EEEEEEeewwyyk, just the steel stand is over
$ 2000 so ...

Basile

New plans comming up but what i got for now

From view of the stand and tanks

Stand10.jpg

Stand15.jpg

Stand101.jpg

Back side

Stand13.jpg

Stand20.jpg

Stand2011.jpg

Stand201.jpg

Stand11.jpg

Stand12.jpg

Top tank biotope pulled out of the stand

Toptank1.jpg

Reef tank pulled out of the Steel stand $ 2 000

StandA11.jpg

Extra feet to support the height

Stand14.jpg

StirCrayzy

Do you have an option to attach the top of the stand into wall studs for stability?
I would sleep better with that rather than have the extra "feet" which would have to be longer than 2"to provide much stability.

Last edited:

Basile

Do you have an option to attach the top of the stand into wall studs for stability?
I would sleep better with that rather than have the extra "feet" which would have to be longer than 2"to provide much stability.

I'll look into that thanks for the suggestion. The stand however will be 12" from the wall to give me access from the sides to the plumbing. As i have a bad back most of the important stuff will be on the sides of the stand and reachable. The underside or in the sump will be most of the equipment but i don't spend much time except for the usual and not a second later so nothing extra under there. Sideboards will be done to be added to the stand. A friend of mine made me a sweet example of it and its great just hook it up and it hides the backside. Beside the system will be in the cats room , and the computer room where my air-conditioning is too so its a functional display not a dining room set lol. Braces could be added to the upper part of the stand . Got 2 of my lights yesterday ; they'll be perfect for the Reef tank nothing fancy but strong enough without the fluff. Maxspect Razors 16000k for $ 519 i need another 2 for the Macro-Algae tank these at 10 000K . The other , like radio and such, great lights, but you can run a disco with those, really..... i want to light up my tank and my LPS nothing else.....

Basile

Well i met my professional guy yesterday. Wow here's the news; No C2C, Over kill for his taste, Skimmer these days takes care of that.Then he says about the connection to my sump No overflow box, too many holes for nothing too expensive and redundant. He's going for tubes in the tank since i'm making two sculpture for the loop i'll integrate them in it. Two 2 inch neighter will be plug at the same time no disaster. So four holes in the bottoms 2x 2" for drains and 2x 1 " for closed loop with 8 acceleration exit . Now that i've illiminated the overflow boxes he wants to make my tank 24" wide instead of 18" so it would be 72"x 24"W x19"H and would still have 6" in the back I dont object but $$$ this is whats going to decide. at 18" the stand alone was $ 2 000 the tank was $ 1200 before drilling....The guy is good and simplefy things very well.

Basile

Well today we hit the floor literaly hit the floor . The floor capacity was discovered to be 3200lb, we need 4200lb. So we are looking at solutions as we speak.

I'm having a civil engineer inspect the structur of the building ,the floor in particular for just that reason. He says that if we can put some sort of skid beam across the weight we can deflect and spread the load onto the rest of the floor. Very dualble. Better be at $150 an hour he's gona cost me close to $700 for that little tour thuesday.....Better that than to sinking to the first floor and killing the first floor lady, lol.

StirCrayzy

Challenges abound in this hobby.! Good luck.
I'm surprised on a 2nd floor that building manager didn't just tell you "No way".

Basile

Challenges abound in this hobby.! Good luck.
I'm surprised on a 2nd floor that building manager didn't just tell you "No way".

Actually were all owners this is a condo complex with concrete walls , floors and ceilings. But they varie from 8" thick to 3 1/2" thick so the weight differ from areas in the building. Yep a real chalenge. But if i can pull it off its gona be a great system. By the way are you on RC with the same nick name StirCrazy? I seem to see you there lol.

Willie McDaries

looks like you are going all out this time Basile, very interesting build, I'm gonna have to watching this thread more closely, you've got ahead of me by a couple pages LOL

how long before you get your tank delivered ?

Basile

looks like you are going all out this time Basile, very interesting build, I'm gonna have to watching this thread more closely, you've got ahead of me by a couple pages LOL

how long before you get your tank delivered ?

Well now because of the floor thing its on hold, and maybe have to be redesigned altogether grrrrrrrr.. so after thats done its 8 weeks before delivery. Right now it look more and more like mid september grrrrrrrrrr. A bit down :surrender:

Basile

Ok well now it looks like the floor plan that I've obtain from the city archives shows the floors to be reinforced concrete 6 inches thick, OUFFF. That's a relief!! My tanks are now side by sides in an "L" shape position with the 72 inch long 6 feet 19" high Rimless , 28" from the floor on one side and the display refugium , Rimless on a custom steel stand 6 feet high on the other side dumping by gravity into the reef tank. The sump will be under the fuge , I have lots of room. Now since the fuge is no longer on top of the main reef tank I've scale down to a 48x18x21 =75G starphire display tank and the sump being under a six feet stand can be large, so a 90 G is perfect, can be splash proof and contain any future equipment .

Basile

Re: Overrunned

Any updates? How about a stocking list?

Well Ok first i finally got the engineer letter clearance about the floors, i finished my floor in the fish room ,

Photo142.jpg

Photo146.jpg

Photo151.jpg

user4671_pic1830_1302043652.jpg

i'm getting my ceramic back panels tomorrow monday , 10 of them for my two tanks.

The plans for the tanks are finished, but the manufacturer hasn't responded yet to are order....he's overrun with orders apparently, we could be waitting for a while ....

The stocking ;

Reef tank

7 Chromis for shoaling
5 Anthias not sure which yet
2 percula picasso clown and anemone in one years time
1 yellow tang or a lemon tang
1 geometry pygmy Hawkfish

Cleanup crew , no crabs

Refugium

first side; one year time

Seahorses;Black Seahorse - Tank-Bred (Sri Lanka) (Hippocampus erectus)

Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus)

clean up crew no snails

Second side;

Assorted Angler (Antennarius sp.)

Matted Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)

clean up crew no crabs.

Basile

I got them i got them

Finaly here after 2 months.I got my Ceramic panels. Ok i only unpacked one the rest are in bubble wrap and i don't want to unwrap them so not to damage tham. Here what it look with stuff in it to give scale , i know it looks funny but it gives an appreciation of whats possible with those things. And i got them for $ 2.99 /lb instead of $ 17.99 /lb from Germany.

Photo196.jpg

Photo200.jpg

They will fit on back wall that i wont have to clean up and most of all reduce the footprint of my rockwork in the tank and giving me lots of swimming and grazing room for my fish ; its a win win. I still will have to put some rocks but not as much and i'll wont have to do any special aquascaping this time. These panels are perfect they give plenty of levels to put corals at any heights i desires.

The back of these panels are totally flat. Which bring me to the fitting. Since i don't want any dead spots and accumulation of debrit; even in small quantity; i'll silicone seal these completely on the back and foam the sides to ensure no water goes in the back and imprison any small amount of debris that i can't get at. I don't intend to redoo my tank in 4 or 5 years, and the day i want to redoo it i'll have a job anyway in front of me regardless.

Last edited: