Offshore357's RSM250

Hello everyone!

The tank has been up for about a year and a half. Things have never really been bad with it. But I did neglect it a little the first part of this year and have spent the last few weeks getting things back on track. Also hope to make some changes to it and create some new energy and fun with the tank. Thought this would be a good time to start a tank thread.

Here are some pics from today.

5292011036.jpg

5292011004.jpg

5292011003.jpg

5292011010.jpg

5292011011.jpg

5292011019.jpg

5292011016.jpg

5292011030.jpg

5292011035.jpg

Thanks for looking, JOHN

Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Current issues I am dealing with is the large cyano build up on the left side of the tank. I have raised the Alk above 12dkh and it is slowly diminishing. Not as fast as I expected it would go.

The corals were getting tight and stinging each other. So I have been thinning them out a little. Have already removed a melon size GSP, galaxea and some mushrooms. I think the metallic green wellsi and that big xenia colony up top will leave next. That bottle brush acro is starting to grow out of the water like a mangrove. I need to cut it up soon as well.

Blue has been a big issue as well. Dark blue acro is mostly brown. All my acans that have white should be blue. Even the tubs and fire and ice zoas don’t really blue up right. I am continuing to work on that.

-JOHN

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Thanks for the information - the Coral Snow looks interesting. Do you use it with the Zeobak too?

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 thanks, I've seen other products called coral snow which are very different, it would seem. Good to know.

ReefPaddy

Thanks for the information - the Coral Snow looks interesting. Do you use it with the Zeobak too?

I used it on my 100g tank back in the UK before relocating to the US a few months ago. Yes, I used it in conjunction with ZeoBAC but not the full Zeo set or equipment.

+1 thanks, I've seen other products called coral snow which are very different, it would seem. Good to know.

I thought the same. The Coral Snow that was creating all those nutrient problems. Untill I caught the KZ.

Great Info ReefPaddy! If the high alk thing doesn't work, I'll give it a try.

John, Do you have a Formula? I'm guessing from your login.

Nice! Remember that boat from the early 80’s with the wrap around glass windshield? It was wicked fast. Came stock with like twin 540 merc. I/Os or something. No, I didn’t but my neighbor had that boat for about ten years.

The nickname has nothing to do with the boat at all. It really means nothing other than getting signed up for things on the first try. Just got tired of guessing new nicks that haven’t been taken. Offshore was about something that was going on at the time and 357 is my business address numbers. No one ever uses it, LOL.

Not much into performance boats, more of a SeaVee guy and am currently boatless. But good call. If I did run into an extra couple hundred grand and decided to get a performance boat. That would be the boat I would hunt down and restore as opposed to a new Cigarette, Nortech or something.

Your tank looks like it si comming along great! -JOHN

steved13

PREMIUM
Thanks John.

I had an 1987 27' with twin 350 mags. I think most of the 357s had 454s back then, although some upgraded, I don't think there were that many factory engine options. Nowadays you can easily spend over $100,000 upgrading each engine.

SeaVee is a good boat. If I buy another of my own it will probably be a center console. I just use one of my rentals if I want to go out, and I'll probably just keep it that way, I have enough expense with those, but at least they generate income.

Well it has been a little while. Thought I would give a few updates on the tank.

I picked up a pair of used MP10’s and they have been great. Kicked up a lot of sediment and seemed to be helping with getting the tank cleaned out.

On the bad side, I noticed a few flatworms in the tank. Not really a lot just three or four every foot of rock or so. None on the sand and nowhere near the infestation I have seen in other tanks. Where they mat up all over everything. I picked up a Blue velvet slug thinking he would take care of it or at least contain it and I could add more. He was last seen on day two and I gave up on him around day five. I ordered Flatworm Exit and that’s where everything started to go bad.

I had some carbon and filled up my garbage can in the garage with fresh SW. I have a lot of that Pukani rock from BRS and it’s really porous. I figured that the FW’s were probably inside the rock but still felt it couldn’t be that bad. I proceeded with the full treatment and the instructions said once I see the FW’s dying , start the charcoal. I was going to use my Bio-Pellet reactor that I had not hooked up yet with the original rsm pump #2. But the pump didn’t work (big surprise). So I would be stuck with a mesh bag. Now I go and get the carbon and it is a Marineland container and it is half empty. Great! Well whatever, I put it in the bag and rinse well. The whole processes took about five minutes. When I get back to the tank it is a mess with hundreds of little dead orange flatworms blowing around. Throw the carbon on and watch as all the corals close up and the fish lock up in the rocks. After about 45 minutes I think all FW’s are dead now and the skimmer is pulling orange skimmate. Tank looks really bad. The worst was the red planet whose green body turned black and most of the red was gone as the polyps closed up. I changed out the 25 gals of water and picked up some more carbon the next day (I did this late at night so it wasn’t that long). When I lifted the hood it smelled like a stagnate marina and the skimmer was filled with orange skimmate. I hoped the new carbon would help with that.

Day three, things are looking better. The skimmate is going back to the brownish stuff it should be and the corals are opening except for the SPS stuff. No PE at all. I also noticed two of the sps which had grown close together were RTNing. My Red Planet and a.Sermentosa. The RP was big so I cut off the entire branch and fragged it. The Sermentosa was much smaller so I only got one frag from it and was worried I would lose it. All the RP frags RTNed, I figured it was because of the level of stress it was already under. But the Sermentosa looks really good. Here you can see the two corals.

07162011088.jpg

Weeks later I have a huge nutrient issue and HA breakout. Skimmer is still pulling out a crazy amount of stuff.

100.jpg

That is just short of 24hrs.

After reviewing all of this and talking with others, I should have.

1. Bought two or three of the slugs and gave them time. Seem there is a bio cube
that had one slug just about eradicate the FW’s.

2. Taken the time to prepare and not do it at midnight.

3. Treat with half dose and retreat in a couple of weeks if necessary.

Here are a few picks showing how tight things have grown. I am still thinning things out as i can.

07162011090.jpg

07162011095.jpg

07162011084.jpg
Anyone know what Zoas they are (Eagle Eyes,Watermelons)?

Here is my Wet Thumb Lollipop that seem to have recovered.

07162011087.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you don't go through this!

More when i can, JOHN