Ocean Wave's 130

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sencha -
welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif
to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

We'll all be awaiting the development of your tank thread!

Sencha

Thank you for the welcome :)

September 17th, my husband was was off on his annual 100 holes of hell golf tournament. He is gone for three days, four nights, just enough time to sneak in a fish tank. I walked into my local fish store to buy my fish tank and fish and supplies, well... I am sure the owner thought or knew I was very dumb. Myself and two daughters spent 2 1/2 hours in his store, talking and learning, he then offered to sell me a used tank, and to come back the following Wednesday. I am postitive he didn't expect to see me again. I returned the Wednesday, to buy the tank but he no longer wanted to sell it.

That is how I met Joel, I bought his tank, live sand and water, October 3rd, 2009. All water tests have pretty much been perfect, it appears that I never really went through a new tank cycle being it was not a new tank I guess, just new owner.

I have the cuc, two clowns, a two spotted goby, clean up shrimp, and a couple pieces of coral from Joel.

I will post some pictures asap.

redseareef

RS Sponsor
LOL!!!!! OUTSTANDING! WELL DONE GIRL! Let's see some pics and we are here to help! Enjoy the hobby! IT's most fascinating and enjoyable!!!

cabolick

Welcome & Congrats on your new adventure! You have found the right place for good friends and great information. There's a good laugh every once in a while. So throw your feet up and stay awhile. Many great photos of beautiful tanks with great corals & fish. Make sure you post photos of your journey, cause these folks like pictures.

Welcome Again!

Chris B

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sencha - thanks for the history of the new tank! So, what did your husband say when he came back to find the tank set up? :)

Sencha

Reefmack, it didn't exactly work out the way I had planned. I didn't get the tank until October 3rd, he had to help carry the tank into the house:surrender: He truly enjoys the tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:chair: :lurk: pics pics pics

ps - if you need any tips on how to upload pics to photobucket & post, let us know :) always gald to help !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Reefmack, it didn't exactly work out the way I had planned. I didn't get the tank until October 3rd, he had to help carry the tank into the house:surrender: He truly enjoys the tank.

As long as he enjoys the tank that is what's important! :)

Sencha

My cuc consists of:

1 fancy nassarius snail
2 turban snails
3 bumble bee snails
1 cleaner shrimp (lazy guy, he would rather clean your hands and pretty much stays in one spot)
1 more snail (not sure what it is, came with tank or rock)

2 astrea snails

Is this enough?

One of my astrea snails has one green bubble algae on it (which I learned about today from reading pg 12, General Reef Discussion, "tell us your biggest mistake" . When I bought the snail, the lfs guy wiped some off the snail, but I did not know what is was. So do I remove the snail, and try scrubbing off the one bubble, or what do I do?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Several more small nasarrius might be good. It looks like you have no hermits so the small nasarrius might last a lot longer in your tank than they do in mine! I don't have but 2-3 hermits left, but they love to dine on nasarrius!

A couple more astreas and/or turbos might be good to have, especially if you start getting a lot of algae. But you don't want so many that they starve.

Fancy Nasarrius - is that the one that's huge and has a very pretty shell? I had 2, lost one, and the one I still have only surfaces about once a month - it's so big it's almost scary to see it coming up out of the substrate!

Yes - you can safely remove the astrea to scrape the bubble algae off. Snails are easier to get off if they're on the glass - then you can just slide them sideways to get them to release. Pulling them straight off the glass or rock can possibly injure them if they don't want to let go.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
if it helps... I have CUC snails, 6 - Ceriths, 6 - Nassarius, 4 - Margarita Turbos, 4 - Astrea & Banded Trochus for a total of 20

works well for me... it with good tank maintenance = zero algae or just enough for the snails to eat :)

+1 on just scrape off bubble algae from the 1 snail

tnwillia

Your off to a great start. Have fun with your tank. Everyone's looking for pictures! And, welcome to RS!