Ocean or ro water which is best

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
that would depend entirely on the source of the ocean water. If you get it off your local beach/boat dock, then i'd have to say NOT GOOD. The contaminants that are in such water close to human civilization are NOT something you want to introduce. Let us also consider that salinity, PH, Alk, etch are different at any given spot in the ocean, and Can vary from season to season, and even day to day. Where as RO/DI water and a good Salt mix, you will get reliably consistent results if you mix with care.

Danreef

I have been using Petco Ocean Water for the last year and I can not be more happy with my coral growth.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

many successful tanks use both, +1 ^ the where you collect, if you are collecting is key

I have used the Petco ocean water and liked it very much! I thought polyp extension was great and thought I noticed a little more growth.
It was a little expensive so I stayed with RO/DI and Coral Pro Salt. I get good growth and color and have been happy. I have also heard great things about Reef Crystals.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Shane :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

I use RO-Di water and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. For me, it's the only choice. I have no LFS to buy from on a weekly basis. My tank is doing great with RO-Di & reef crystals.
You didn't say what size your tank is ?? :fishy: If you have a BIG tank then you may get tired of toting water from your LFS.
Please tell us more about your tank & post pictures...WE L:heart:VE PICTURES :D
Very BEST WISHES :biker

pablomay28

Great information here. I still have yet to decide what salt mix I like.

I would recommend getting the smaller bags or boxes to try out the different salts and pick the one that works for you. I have used intant ocean (regular), reef crystals, coralife, red sea salt, LFS (do not recommend) low salinity and inconsistent. Out of the salts I have tried I liked reef crystals my coral seems to be doing better. The box is cheap 200 gallons worth goes for about $46

ReefRage

I would recommend getting the smaller bags or boxes to try out the different salts and pick the one that works for you. I have used intant ocean (regular), reef crystals, coralife, red sea salt, LFS (do not recommend) low salinity and inconsistent. Out of the salts I have tried I liked reef crystals my coral seems to be doing better. The box is cheap 200 gallons worth goes for about $46

Would you still recommend the box of 200 gallons of salt for me, even if I only have 39 gallon tank?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF

ReefRage

Awesome thanks for the link. I see the shirts are only for the smaller gallon sets, still awesome to see that.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Awesome thanks for the link. I see the shirts are only for the smaller gallon sets, still awesome to see that.
They may be out of the Free T-Shirt boxes :( there was one included in the last box I got.
I'm going to re-order today anyway. Even without the freebie it's a good buy ;)
Also you will notice that they state "This is the salt we use in our LiveAquaria facility!"

It might not work best for everyone but I've never used anything else.
In used reg. Instant Ocean 20 years ago when I had a FOWLR tank & was glad to see it still available when I got back into the hobby.

ReefRage

They may be out of the Free T-Shirt boxes :( there was one included in the last box I got.
I'm going to re-order today anyway. Even without the freebie it's a good buy ;)
Also you will notice that they state "This is the salt we use in our LiveAquaria facility!"

It might not work best for everyone but I've never used anything else.
In used reg. Instant Ocean 20 years ago when I had a FOWLR tank & was glad to see it still available when I got back into the hobby.

yes I agree, even without the t-shirt it's still a great deal. So currently you are using Instant Ocean?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
And it's only that pretty because of all I learned RIGHT HERE at Reef Sanctuary...
I never dreamed I'd have a tank with colorful corals like this :yehoo: