Obligatory introduction from a newbie.

williemcd

Bill in Richmond Va.
currently keeping 700G of fresh hosting new worlds....Discus, Angels, Rams, Pleco's and assorted tetras. Seven weeks ago, I received a 20G salt setup that is VERY basic containing sand, home-made structure made out of sea shells, a std flo. light and two internal filters that look like knockoff Fluval2's. The tank was also about 1/3 empty due to evaporation oh.. and a clown fish. I transported and set up and did a water check with a very basic Kent gauge. The readings were off the chart so I slowly, over a week added about 6-7 gallons of RO water. I'm now reading 1.024-5.
I've subsequently have added 4 hermit crabs and a few snails... (id unknown) as the structures were completely black with algae. The tank is now pristine.
Now that I've gotten bitten, I've a 155G that is going to be my reef tank. Currently I have all the powerheads I need, a 250 MHO light (dickering on an additional 400 w MHO as we speak), some T5-ho's laying around (30" and 24") (supplemental to the 250/400?)... The 155 is end-drilled for a sump I'll be setting up... (Size? please some input!)... I've also got some 300w heaters laying around so.. next? A skimmer.. perhaps DIY.. just diving in right now and don't know how expensive they are to purchase.
Oh.. a friend about 1500 miles away is shipping me some Green Star Polyp.. and maybe a few other frags to go in the 20 for the time beings.. (I know, pushing everything!).. Any advice other than to slow down?...<grin> Bill in Richmond, Va.

forestal

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary - a great place with lot of super folks. Welcome to the dark side of reefing :)
I agree patience is the best mantra for salt. A great book that can help you look at your upcoming plans and have it setup how you want is A Concientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner - lots of levels of advice in it whether just fish, vs. full reef. A good rule for salt is making sure ammonian and nitritites are 0 and nitrates <5-10 and stable before adding fish and especially coral. Often the soft corals are more tolerant and are easier to add sooner than the stony corals which are very intolerant of poor conditions.
Sump size depends on how you want to go - the bigger you do, the more your total volume of water and more stable the parameters. The sump can be a place to put filters (carbon/phosban) and skimmer, but also can have a refugium to grow out macroaglae that can be removed to export nutrients. Some skim, some don't. I tend to not skim for the first 4-6 months, allowing the invert/bacterial/plankton cycle and grow, which are good food for corals and other critters. Good news is a lot of different but correct ways to do it.
Another great set of books to read The Reef Aquarium by Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung the first book is a great one to start with the why's how's on setting up, the other 2 more of care of fish/corals

ccrocks

+1 on A Concientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. Used to be my nightly read still use it often. Look into adding live rock to the 20 that will be your best filter going forward. you can buy dry rock for the 155 then seed it with some live to save $$$. Not sure about Richmond but was in a very nice LFS in VA. Beach over Christmas was there looking at the Va Aquarium very nice. I would also wait on the skimmer till the tank was a couple months old, you shouldn't have much load on the system yet anyway while it is stabilizing. most figure 1lb of rock per gallon of water same for sand bed look in the selling forums for rock but sand I would go new. Good luck

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

AJ REEF

Hi Bill! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! You will find plenty of help in your surrender to the dark side. :p ( which is strangely far brighter)

On a sump choice, I like to get one that is large enough to easily handle excess water, in the event of a power outage. Another consideration is dimensions. As you look at potential skimmers or skimmer plans take note of the footprint and make sure your sump is wide enough to fit what you want.

Once you have 5 posts under your belt you can post pics. And that may help alot , to determine what you have and what may work for you.

Once again Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! I hope you enjoy your stay.