Nuisance Algaes

ReefLady

Staff member
LOL, Boomer, I actually removed the whole rock & coral from the tank -- the poor coral broke into about 100 pieces while I was trying to remove the algae. BUT, I got a few good frags to recover, and it's back in it's original spot (which has been scrubbed free of the macro). It's considerably smaller, but healthy.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
OK, here is on up on you NaH2O :D

TRT MaBMA Algal Spotlight
“Hair Algae” Part 1/10 : Bryopsis
Author: Horge Cortes Jorge Jr.

Introduction
One of the most beloved of macroalgae in reef aquaristics are those rare guests, Bryopsis, one of several genera affectionately dubbed ‘hair algae’. Bryopsis are a vital and much sought-after component of the compleat reef aquarium. Bryopsis can cure cancer, end poverty, and bring about world peace.

But enough sarcasm.
The marine green algae Bryopsis are, to my perception, the most prevalent and problematic sort of ‘hair alga’ around our hobby, colonizing and dominating captive reefscapes with a speed and remorselessness that would make a Spanish conquistador blink.

Why are Bryopsis so common? Why do they spread so fast?
What does one do to rid one’s aquarium of them?
Why not read on, gentle readers?

Taxonomic Background
There are at least 50 species of Bryopsis (including varieties and forms), but only a mere seven species are commonly found in tropical waters, plus three varieties of one of the most commonly cited species:

Bryopsis corticulans
Bryopsis corymbosa
Bryopsis halliae
Bryopsis hypnoides
Bryopsis indica
Bryopsis pennata
(Bryopsis pennata var. leprieurii )
(Bryopsis pennata var. secundata)
(Bryopsis pennata var. secunda)
Bryopsis plumosa
Bryopsis ramulosa

Many of the diagnostics between these species can be subtle to a hobbyist, and furthermore the morphological variance within some species (take just the much-cited B. plumosa for example) can be surprising. It is often practical not to differentiate between them.
What use, then, the list above?
I just wanna name-drop.

God willing, MaBMA will deal with the dirty details of species-level diagnostics.

Morphology & Reproduction
Bryopsis all go through two alternating phases that are starkly different in appearance: as gametophytes and as sporophytes

bryogam1.jpg

Fig 1.1: The gametophyte phase of Bryopsis, likely Bryopsis corticulans, producing male and female gametes which combine to form a zygote, which in turn settles to form the other phase, called a sporophyte:

bryospo.jpg

Fig 1.2: Bryopsis sporophyte is a sometimes lighter-green, filamentous, sparsely-branching and ground-hugging little wretch.
(Cut me slack: a sketch is all I can muster right now. Give me your photos!!! )

Because Bryopsis gametophytes are monoecious, they would seem to value sexual quantity over quality: during sexual reproduction, the chances are very good indeed for girl gametes and boy gametes to meet up and do their thing since they can come from so close to each other --as in, the same algal specimen. This means that ‘self-fertilization’ is likely, and whatever benefit derives from a more catholic genetic lottery are largely lost to any population of Bryopsis.

We must note: that the resulting sporophyte phase (see Fig 1.2 again) is rarely reported in marine aquaria suggests that sexual reproduction is not the usual means by which Bryopsis multiply in aquaria. Also, if there really aren’t any sporophytes, then spore-based reproduction can’t be common in aquaria either. There may be under-reportage involved, but let's just suppose here AREN'T many sporophytes around: how might Bryopsis usually reproduce?

Reef aquarium enthusiasts ought to be familiar with reproduction via fragmentation, and Bryopsis are, by the way, coenocytic –meaning each thallus is technically a single, if multinucleate, cell. Any scrap of Bryopsis --no matter how small-- can regenerate if allowed to settle in a favorable location.

Alas, there’s more:
The gametophyte also reproduces by forming what are called microthalli on the ends of the pinnules, when it isn’t Bryopsis “breeding season” --we did earlier indicate that gametangia and gametes were formed seasonally, yes?. Anyway, each microthallus eventually detaches and drifts freely in the current, just waiting for the right surface to crash into and colonize, as sporophytes. Again, since not too many sporophytes are being reported, then microthalli-formation may not be a serious issue in aquaria, so we’re back to accusing fragmentation as the chief means of reproduction.

In case this reproductive picture has become too contorted for words (and considering the verbal diarrhea preceding, it ought to be), let me share yet another visual crutch to enhance our confusion (see Fig 1.3)

bryopsis_lifecycle.jpg

Fig 1.3: Bryopsis Life-Cycle
(Again, cut me some slack: a sketch is the best I can offer right now)

One more time:
Given a paucity of reported sporophytes, we might assume that reproduction via fragmentation is the primary route to Bryopsis' frequent dominance in a marine aquarium. (Or, again, maybe no one is paying attention to the little creeps, leading to severe under-reportage.)

Controls
As I mentioned in another article, the standard threefold plan of attack against a problem alga is as follows:

1. Manual removal of the problem alga
2. Suppression via appropriate herbivores
3. Denial of resources

Given the strength in Bryopsis’ ability to reproduce, there must be an emphasized fourth:

4. Severe curtailment of reproduction

Manual removal of Bryopsis is a tedious task.
The removal itself is easy, as the thalli are small and soft enough to be scraped off. The thallus however is susceptible to severe fragmentation. The challenge is in ensuring that no viable algal material is released into the display environment.

If manual removal is to be attempted in the display, a siphon is most useful for drawing off any fragments that may eventually settle and regenerate, pointed right where the action is taking place. The drawn-off water may be discarded, though I have sometimes filtered such wastewater through calcium hydrochloride powder–which apparently destroys algal cells, and stored the filtrate in bottles for later use as calcium boosters.

If the Bryopsis-infested rock (or other material) can be removed to a separate container for a scrub-down, so much the better. Whatever saltwater was used in that container, during scrub-down, and for the final rinses, should be discarded

More herbivores can adapt to eating Bryopsis than the many horror stories around might suggest. The most reliable are perhaps some sacoglossan slugs (of Genus Elysia, for example) which unfortunately have relatively short lifespans. Other effective herbivores include certain sea urchins. While the commonly-sold herbivorous snails can infrequently take a bite out of Bryopsis, they can be messy eaters and none too thorough, just as many herbivorous fish can be. The viable algal crumbs from their feasting make the problem worse.

Even with herbivorous pressure, there is also the problem of incomplete digestion to consider: viable algal material is often found in the feces of many of these herbivores, and a biodiverse ecosystem, with herbivorous/omnivorous scavengers and recyclers of all sizes (the sort that live on eating the crap of higher herbivores....yechhh), seems the best way to deal with it.

Denying Bryopsis the resources they need (particularly nutrient) is a tricky thing to attempt. Their magnificent, plumose arrays (in the gametophyte phase) spell efficient assimilation of nutrient in the water, likely far more efficiently than anything a rival “scrubber” algae can muster. No harm in trying to introduce competition, though! Obviously, one can try to limit the nutrients imported into the system. A reef aquarium must be fed, and natural, live foods can live on in the display, rather than decomposing and releasing nutrient when left uneaten.

Physical removal can become a repetitious ordeal even with the best efforts at providing herbivorous pressure and at denying resources to the problem alga(e). This is likely because of the impressive reproductive potential that Bryopsis own. The process of obtaining relief can perhaps be speeded up by specifically targeting the avenues that Bryopsis employ to perpetuate their presence. All aforementioned modes of Bryopsis reproduction depend on using the water as a transport medium, and water is among the easiest of a reef aquarium’s components to police, given the circulation systems we use.

A properly-designed UV sterilizer may effect a significant reduction in repeat manifestations of Bryopsis, within the context of physical removal, herbivorous suppression, and resource denial. Those latter three primarily deal with the presence of Bryopsis on substrate, whilst proper application of UV (or other prophylactic filtration) helps deal with the problem’s presence in the water, obliterating many spores, gametes, microthalli and viable fragments. It is also no small benefit that proper use of UV filters also provides rapid oxidation of many dissolved nutrients in the water, reducing one fuel that powers Bryopsis blooms.
Fourfold approach, then.

Of course, patience, humble perseverance and a little prayer go a long way. So does sharing your pain with your brothers and sisters on TRT (and RC).

Summary
Bryopsis are a formidable bunch of algae to deal with, and in no small part due to their reproductive prowess. They can reproduce sexually via gametes, or asexually via spores, fragmentation or dispersal of 'microthalli'.

Bryopsis are often deemed problem algae in the hobbyist reef aquarium. While addressing the physical presence with manual removal and herbivores, and attempting to slow its growth via denial of resources are important, it is likely just as important to restrict reproduction. Prophylactic filtration of the water (for example, via UV devices) may provide the means towards a shortened effort at controlling any outbreak of Bryopsis.

Horge

( the macro god on RC)

Last edited:

Craig Manoukian

Thanks Boomer.

As always a fire hose full of information. So far none of the 50 or so species have made it into my tank, knock on wood!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Boomer,

As usual, you teach me so much....Thank you for providing that information!

ReefLady

Staff member
Are you sure it is not sertulariodes

At first, I thought it was Feather Caulerpa - I guess that would be the sertulariodes right? Not sure. In any case, it's Caulerpa a-goner. :cool:

Web2000

I had a very large outbreak of green hair algae. It had completely taken over every nook and cranny of my tank. I was told to let it be and eventually my refuge will take over and kill off the algae. The more it grew the more I knew I had to do something. Ten days ago we took every single rock out of the tank and scrubbed each one individually clean of the algae. Of course we couldn't get it completely clean, but close. Then we re-built the aquascape making it easier to get into the tank and clean it. Now as part of my everyday ritual I take a turkey baster to the rocks every night, and as the algae grows back I take a toothbrush of long handled bristle brush and get in the and clean it up. After 10 days I still baste everyday, but I only really have to scrape every other day. I had an R/O unit installed and now I only use that for top off and water changes. My water parameters have been very good, and I have only seen a small spike since scrubbing all the rocks. The refuge has been a bit tougher. The hair algae outbreak got into the refuge and I've had to pull that out by hand very carefully to not disturb the mud as much as possible, but it is going well also.

Bill

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes, the fronds don't look thick and wide enough for a tax. It is gone so it doesn't count :D

Now when you have more of your money for me to spend go buy this;

Carribean Reef Plants: An ID Guide to the Reef Plants of the Caribbean, Bahamas, Florida and Gulf of Mexico by Littler and Littler.545 pg

And your next question...........No it is not cheap :D It is a masteepiece

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Here is a great thread on >>Hair Algae<<

Along with a great post by Curtswearing:

I want to talk about a couple of things here. I know everyone reading this thread knows that I don't like to provide links to other places for background info but I "forced" myself to put up a couple of links. They are Phosphates:Algae's best friend and Nitrate in the reef aquarium. The algae is growing because there is food for it. The phosphates that have acccumulated over time are food for it and so are the nitrates.

A Turkey Baster costs very little. However, in reality, they are priceless!!! Get that detritus off your LR and into the water column so your skimmer can grab it or you can remove it with a waterchange.

I like a lot of the info on this thread. I think that taking the LR out of your tank and putting it in a bucket is a good idea. I would recommend that you do a waterchange but keep the old water in a separate bucket. Manually remove the hair algae and then rinse off the rocks with the old water.

Then, as soon as you have RO/DI water, make some saltwater with it and put your rock in the bucket with the brand new saltwater, a heater, and a powerhead. You won't believe the stuff that is going to come out of that rock. The bacterial action will spit a lot of detritus off of the surface of the rock but it will also come out of the pores of the rock. They call water the "universal solvent" which can be a good thing or it can be a bad thing. Since you are now using pure water (RO/DI water), you can use this characteristic to your advantage. By putting the rock into a separate bucket with pure water, it will act as a magnet and "clean" out the rock for you. You might even need to do a waterchange on the bucket.

As mentioned earlier, most of the nitrates and phosphates disappeared when you pulled out the CC substrate. However, a lot of it is still there and that is what is fueling the hair algae growth. Some of it is on your LR in the form of detritus and some is in the bodies of the bacteria that is on your LR.

At one time, I had a lot of hair algae. I did a couple of water tests and I had zero nitrates and zero phosphates. That info conflicted completely with the links I provided. If I didn't have nitrates nor phosphates, then how could I have hair algae??? Boy was I confused. (BTW---I picked my avatar because I liked Bloom County but mostly because Portnoy looked confused).

As some of you know, my other hobby is Bonsai and landscaping. Because of my bonsai and gardening background, I soon realized that things were more complex than I originally imagined. All fertilizers have an NPK rating. (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium). All 3 of these components are utilized by your lawn and/or plants. These don't stay in the soil, they are absorbed by the plants. Frankly, I would be ticked off if I bought a fertilizer that stayed in the soil instead of being absorbed by the lawn.

By combining my reefing hobby with my bonsai hobby, complex chemistry issues finally made sense. Trying to determine how many nitrates (N) or phosphates (P) are in my tank by taking a small water sample makes as much sense as trying to determine if I should add fertilizer to my lawn by trapping a sample of air above my lawn. If you have hair algae and you tell me you don't have any nitrates nor phosphates, I'm gonna say, "yes you do---you just can't test for it because your "lawn" is absorbing it more quickly than you can test for it. My made up word for this is "masking". (I.e. You can't test for the NPK because it is being masked).

(Some of you might read my NPK anology and say, I can see the the N and the P, but where is the K? Well, it's there but iodine/iodide questions should be in a separate post and it shouldn't be in the "Just starting out" forum. It really is a New Frontiers forum issue).

Some of you might recognize the name Snapper. He was the lawnmower blenny I bought without doing any research. If I had done the research, I never would have purchased him as most lawnmower blennies eventually die of starvation in our tanks. I once had a hair algae problem and that's why I bought him . He went to town on my hair algae but as most of the people on this thread know.....I don't recommend that people buy one.

Here's why....GIGO. The computer programmers out there know what GIGO is. For everyone else, I'll let you know what it means. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Snapper used to eat all of the hair algae out of my tank which was awesome. However, he would go to the bathroom and then put all of the bad things right back into my tank (GIGO). No matter how harshly I said the word, "NO", and no matter how much I waved my arms around or pointed my finger at him, Snapper would still go to the bathroom in my tank. (WHAT A REBELLIOUS FISH!!!).

Lets convert this to gardening for a moment. Basically, I put down too much fertilizer. The lawn absorbed the fertilizer and was growing too fast. I was sick of mowing so I bought a goat. The goat was eating my grass but it was also putting out goat pellets. (Using chemical terms. NPK was added to the lawn, NPK was eaten by a goat, some of it was put into the tissues of the goat, but most of the NPK exited the goat and was put back on the lawn to dissolve and be used as fertilizer for more grass to grow). This wouldn't be a problem in real life because goats wander around. Obviously, enclosed systems complicate things. And that is the problem with reef tanks---they are enclosed systems.

Most of the things we add to our tanks stays there unless we remove them via skimming, waterchanges, mechanical filtration, or other forms of nutrient export like macroalgae harvesting, etc.

Last edited:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Here is a picture of my spot of cynobacteria. It's a dark red, carpet like growth that disappears at night only to reappear when the lights come back on.

You can see the small spot on the lower right....
61cynobacteria.JPG

Brucey

Nikki .... what a great post. Thanks for sharing matey

Brucey

PS, I also tried buying a goat and put him in my aquarium but he drowned ... That is what you meant by GIGO wasn't it, Goat in ..... Goat out ........

:D :D :D :D :D ;)

Scooterman

Boomer you sure do know so much for not having a tank of your own if I remember that correctly!
Awesome post thanks I needed that! :)

philly

Help, Green thread algae problem!

I'm new to the site(just registered). Typed out a massive list of details for my set up and when i sent it said thread not recognised and dissappeared!

Anyway, shorter version as it nearly midnight in the UK.

I have had the tank running over 4 months with excellent nitrate levels etc. Using RO water with 15% water chages once a week from the early days.

Have a few fish in there now but since shortly after the live rock went in, there has been a mat of thick green Algae over everything. If a gap develops then usually a little bit of slime Algae (Red or black) usually fills the gap.

I spend an hour or so once a week pulling lumps of Algae off the rocks and gravel!

Is this normal or is there a solution?

Help

Tarasco

Sounds like you have a whole lot of excess nutrients. Do you have a protien skimmer?

Actually, I would start a new thread with your question. Not everyone reads the stickys.

And welcome to RS!

mps9506

Did you cure the live rock before adding it to your tank?
It may have had a lot of die off that fueled your current algae bloom.
I would remove the rock clean it out in some nice clean SW scrub off the algae swish it around to get all the detrius and stuff outta the rock. Get as much of the loose crud off and outta the rock as possible. Then put back in your tank.
You may want to consider running something like Rowaphos to help control excessive phosphates and silicates as well.

corvettephreek

when I first started my tank I had a brown kinda nasty looking crud all over my LR. 5 snails, 2 emerals crabs, 3 blue legged hermits, and a watchman goby later (and 2 weeks) everything was sparkling clean!!! (in addition to getting rid of 4 sloppy and piggy damsels).... now waiting for the new algae..... its fun watching algae grow...... *yawn*