Nuisance Algaes

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I thought it would be great if everyone could post pictures of their problem algaes (bryopsis, cyano, dino, bubble, hair, etc), and what you are doing or did to get rid of them. Here is a link to another great resource for algaes, but I thought it would be good to also have one coincide with the hitchhiker thread:

>>PSAS - ID Algaes<<

So show me your algaes!!

EDIT to update the above link

Last edited:

HAP

Recently, I've had a green hair algae outbreak. I've battled it back quite a bit over the last two months. I didn't take any pictures of it (too embarrased).

I checked all my parameters. Changed my test regents and checked again. I use RO/DI water for water changes and evaporation make-up. All tests were good.

I started weekly water changes (25%). I used a tooth brush and began scrubbing the algae from the rocks and corals. I used a canister filter to vacuum the detrius and loose algae.

I added 100 blue legged crabs and a red-lipped blenny to work on the algae when I was not...

I set up a refugium where I have several different macro algaes growing.

Now, about two months after my problems began, I am nearly N-Algae free.

Just to make sure, I plan to continue my weekly water changes for a while to make sure I don't have a nutrient problem.

hap

TDEVIL

well i have some dino's (not the purple one:) )

finally going away, again
i will see if i can find some more pics

TD

Attachments

• reef stuff 004 (small).jpg
    reef stuff 004 (small).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,728

TDEVIL

link not working Curt, but i will look for it

Thanks

this is the second time around with this and others, you would not think pwr outage would have this lasting effect;)
i just let nature take its course, and you know ny thoughts on algae (natures way of saying something is wrong) plus it helps the battle with the param's so your corals are not affected, but the algae might have some affect on your corals;)

TD

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Great pic TDevil...Curt has a nice pic of dinos, too. Here is a great article I found on bubble algaes...nice pics, too:

Bubble Algae

One method I remember reading of getting rid of a small cluster was from ReefLady....cover the colony up with an empty clam shell, depriving them of light. Of course there are emerald crabs, but I'm not so sure they work all that well. Lastly, if you can take the rock out, you can use tweezers to pull the algae off with tweezers at its base.

Last edited:

one eye

Here's some good ole hair algea. I changed my substrate back in April and got a nice cycle. Frequent water changes and minimal feedings (plus a yellow tang) helped rid the tank of the algea within a couple weeks.
180Image031_Small_-med.jpg

Last edited:
bare me with fellas, just testing my avatar. hopefully I did something right and it shows up, if it don't it should be a pic of America's Team !

ReefLady

Staff member
Macro algae can be a nuisance also!

We had a very strange instance of Caulerpa taxifola suddenly appearing in our display tank. We don't (and never have) had any in the 'fuge, or anywhere else, and hadn't added anything new for quite some time.

Here is what it did to my Anacropora sp.

Attachments

• ps_ac_acrps.jpg
    ps_ac_acrps.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 972