Nuisance Algaes

fishmama67

Let's see if this works.
Nope it didn't. I'll figure it out yet!

fishmama67

Maybe this will work! Nope I can't figure it out. I will have my kid come help me as he is much more savy than I.

OHmariner

Re: Nuisance Algae

Digging up an old post here but I had another question I haven't found an answer too. I am curious about chemical filtration products like Chemi-pure or Poly-filter, or some of the other products to remove Phosphates and stuff.

Do you think these are a viable tool to help battle algae as well? I have heard many people preach about small amounts of Nitrates and Phosphates that don't show up on most test kits but are still present, I was wondering if these alternative filter medias would be worth considering....In a nutshell I have been almost starving my fish, doing water-changes every 4 days and physically removing the red hair algae and green algae and it persists...I run poly-filter and use RO water too.

theDeedo

RO water wil still have phosphates unless your using a De-ionizer. I recently had a HUGE hair algae burst because of a newly cycled tank. It will eventually suck up all the nutrients from the water and stable out (unless you have a big bio-load) but I hooked up a phos reactor 2 days ago and it is receding like my hair line...quickly. I highly suggest using one unless you have a big enough fuge or turf scrubber (which can both be bulky and bothersome). just my 2 cents.

Also cut off the lights for 3 days (so I've heard). Sounds risky but I hear people get great results.

Does bryopsis grow on glass or only on LR? Because im not sure if its hair algae or Bryopsis that i have growing on the back of my tank glass. It looks like branches with very small feathery leaves.

SeaSquirt05

RO water wil still have phosphates unless your using a De-ionizer. I recently had a HUGE hair algae burst because of a newly cycled tank. It will eventually suck up all the nutrients from the water and stable out (unless you have a big bio-load) but I hooked up a phos reactor 2 days ago and it is receding like my hair line...quickly. I highly suggest using one unless you have a big enough fuge or turf scrubber (which can both be bulky and bothersome). just my 2 cents.

Also cut off the lights for 3 days (so I've heard). Sounds risky but I hear people get great results.

I would not cut off the lights for 3 days, what you should do is run your lights for only 3 hours a day for about 5 days. Hope this helps

Merlin67

Ok, so I search all over and was told that Maracyn will kill red slime in 3 days and to use the tablets. 2 tablets per 50 gallons. I have an account who keeps getting it in both FOWLR tanks. I added new t5 to his tanks and did numerous water changes and added internal flow.

has anyone tried this treatment??

eaze333

Does anyone know if the size grain of substrate or type of substrate is a contribiting factor to cyanobacteria growth. Mine is finer than sugar. Storebought sand from petco. I don't know if substrates can contain silicates

hardtimes

Does anyone know if the size grain of substrate or type of substrate is a contribiting factor to cyanobacteria growth. Mine is finer than sugar. Storebought sand from petco. I don't know if substrates can contain silicates

I am wondering the same thing. I bought the same sand from petco and now am having a horrible red slim out break. Does the size/type contribute to an out break?

lcstorc

None of those are algae. The first one is definitely an aiptasia. A nuisance anemone. There are lots of threads about them so just do a search.
The second one is a bit more difficult but my best guess is yellow polyps. If I am right they are pretty but fast growing. Some like them some do not it is just a matter of opinion. Just a guess on the second Id. We would need pictures with more detail to make a real ID.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
These are Aptasia sea anemones which need to be removed. Thee are lots of posts on them here.