Not much but its mine...

fitzpoppa

Heres a quick pic of where I'm at. It's not much but its all mine LOL.

Mytank.jpg

I will be adding more rock of course, It's my 55Gal I'm going to set up as a FOWLR tank. Any and all comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Robzilla

Great start! Just make sure you don't get fish that are/will be too big for your tank. I made that mistake right off the bat! Fish compatability is crucial in a FOWLR. Have fun and great start!

Robzilla

Also, you clearly have room for a bigger tank on that stand. See if you can find a cheap one for sale on craigslist. That will increase the choices of fish that you can keep :)

fitzpoppa

Yeah, the stand was originally for a 120 Gal. But while moving the tank my buddy dropped his end and the tank shattered. :(

fitzpoppa

I'm wanting to go with some Clowns, would love to have a blue hippo tang but i hear that a 55 isn't big enough. I love the yellow tang, and the angel fish. Theres so many options i just have to keep reading and see what will live together in harmony. Would love to have also some of the Lion fish but i think they will eat the other stuff if it can.

Robzilla

If you have a 48" long 55g then you might be able to pull off ONE tang, but I would suggest something else. Lions get really big so I would look into Fuzzy Dwarf Lions. They will only eat what can fit in their mouth.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're going to keep this FOWLR then you have a lot more choices on fish. I'd suggest opting "out" of the tang idea. If your heart isn't just totally set on a tang you'd be better off going another route IMHO.

I love fuzzy dwarf lion-fish but just remember all of your "Predator" fish are messy eaters and contribute more to your bioload than size alone. Just something to consider :)

I wish I had a large tank like that lol! Just for fish ideas my cousin put a pair of percs , a chromis , and yellow tang in his 55 . You could probably pull of a mandarin after the tank has been set up long enough(6-12 mnths). How much live rock are you planing on adding ?

KARussell88

a 55 is a good start for a beginner anyways! less money down the drain when you make the crucial mistake lol dont worry we all do it.
best way to avoid that mistake, keep ur eyes and questions here! lol