Noisy Overflow question

I'm going to modify my plan for an overflow down to my fuge. I've read about using air tubing to quite down the noise in your overflow box. Can some one elaborate on how that is done. Thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I only know the Lifereef overflow. Mine was so loud on startup that it drove my wife upstairs. I followed the Lifereef tip on inserting the airhose that came with the siphon down through the drain pipe fitting and into the drain line till the noise stopped. and it worked for me. I think the airline went all the way down the whole length of vinyl drain tubing. All I hear now is a very slight trickle as the water drops over the lip of the inner siphon box. I'm not sure if that has worked for others, but it did for me.

bryceK

The airline tubing didn't work so well for me. What did work out was placing a small dish towel over the back of overflow box. Now it is silent except for the trickle of water into the inner part of the siphon box.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I recommend building this Hofer Gurgle Buster
I have this one on my frag tank and quarantine tank and it works perfect. Fit's right into an overflow box.
I have a similar one for my DT that I designed but this is easier to share with such great instructions. You can make these any size you need to fit your particular situation.
This is the instruction page:
Hofer Gurgle Buster Construction