noisy cooling fan

Gwen

Greetings!
I have my RSM 130 for a few months and I just love it. :eek:lsmile: But this noisy cooling fan in the hood annoys me. What solutions do you have to make it at least a bit more quiet? :dunno:

Sapphire

Welcome to the RSM owners club! Nice to have you along. Would be good to hear about your set up.. (and we like pictures!)

Is it a new RSM?

If it's noisy you can lubricate the bearngs with sewing machine oil ( you just need to remove the fan and (on ours at least) remove the sticker - the bearing is under this - and drop some oil on it.

other wise I would suggest you may need to replace them

alphasierra

Welcome Gwen,

I find my fans sometimes make a noise in the morning just after the lights turn on. It usually last 5 mins then stops. Another option I've tried is a soft tap on the fan itself. That may also help.

Sapphire

Welcome Gwen,

I find my fans sometimes make a noise in the morning just after the lights turn on. It usually last 5 mins then stops. Another option I've tried is a soft tap on the fan itself. That may also help.

If this isn't a new tank I would agree that this will work for a while, however in my experience this is a sign of wear and will not be a long term solution. This has happened a couple of times in my tank and we have had to lubricate and eventually replace the fans in each case.

If it is a new tank i would suggest tapping the fan to see if it stops - you'll want to check that everything has been put together correctly. If it's continually noisy (and new) I would ask in the Ask Red Sea thread...

Gwen

Thanks for the answer. It is a new RSM and is continually noisy. These fans might be basically noisy.:eek:

TonyV

My new RSM fans (less than 4 weeks old) make noise too. A tap on the hood usually quiets them down but I will be replacing them soon with quieter PC grade fans (Vantec Stealth) that have built in vibration isolators.

Gwen

Thanks, Tony.

My new RSM fans (less than 4 weeks old) make noise too. A tap on the hood usually quiets them down but I will be replacing them soon with quieter PC grade fans (Vantec Stealth) that have built in vibration isolators.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:welcomera Gwen glad to see another RSM owner posting in the owners forum.

I may upgrade my fans one day too, I like quite, right now they don't seem to bad, as compared to the really loud skimmer though :)

ps - start up a tank thread & share some pics, we all love pics !

Gwen

Tony, I couldn't find a Vantec fan for the size 50x50x15. Could you? The smallest one I found is 60x60x25. :rollingey

TonyV

Tony, I couldn't find a Vantec fan for the size 50x50x15. Could you? The smallest one I found is 60x60x25. :rollingey

Yeah. I just found some no name brand at my local computer store. I really wanted a Vantec Stealth as they are extremely quiet and we use them here at work and I can vouch for their quietness.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Don't know if it helps... or if this is right... but a hit on google search produced this...

https://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=CA-A1178

Specification
Mfr Part Number: A1178
Application: Application For GeForce 2 Series, GeForce 3 Series, GeForce 4 MX Series Video Card & Chipset
Air Pressure: 4.1mm H2O
Fan Dimension: 50x50x15 m
Max. Air Flow: 12.4CFM
Rated Voltage: 12V
Noise: 26.4dBa
Started Voltage: 7V
Bearing Type: Ball Bearing
Rated Current: 0.16A(max.)
Life Expectation: 50,000 Hours
Power Input: 1.92W
Connector: 3 Pin
FAN Speed: 5500¡À10% R.P.M