Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

and here is the basic list of things to be revealed later today.....

ReefDose - Red Sea Doser
Red Sea App - Obvious
ReefWave
ReefLED
ReefClean - New Red Sea Skimmer
Filter Media Cup

Let's wait and see what it all means !

Nobbygas

and here we have it.....

"Red Sea is adding connected intelligence to its already impressive range of reef products and will be featuring a sample of their new world of smart devices at the upcoming Interzoo 2018 exhibition.

With all of Red Sea’s devices controlled by a single intuitive mobile app, hobbyists can monitor and control all of their aquarium accessories, wherever they are. Red Sea’s new wi-fi-enabled devices allow hobbyists to track their reef-keeping activities, analyze their water parameters and benefit from the experience of thousands of hobbyists around the world with systems similar to theirs.

Red Sea’s series of smart, connected devices include:

ReefLED™- a 90W Reef-Spec® light unit based on a dual channel compact LED array ensures optimal coral growth and maximum rendition of their vibrant colors. No guesswork is required to get guaranteed Reef-Spec® daylight through a combination of Reef-Spec® Blue (fixed ratio of ultraviolet-violet-blue LEDs) and 8000K White LED channels. The app provides a range of preset lighting programs with sunrise/sunset effects, lunar cycle moonlights, random clouds and an acclimation program for new installations.

ReefWave™- advanced cross-flow wave pumps (based on “Gyre” patented technology) provide natural and powerful water movement across the aquarium with unique reverse and alternating waves. Incorporating quiet and energy efficient sine-wave technology, each pump comes with a controller that includes a wide range of on-board programs, as well as a wi-fi connection to Red Sea’s user-friendly app that offers even more wave options.

ReefDose™- 4-head, dosing pump that makes dosing more accurate, easier to perform and more affordable. ReefDose™ features single-drop precision (0.06ml), allows for both scheduled and manual dosing and even monitors the amount of supplement left in each container. The unit records each dose that is actually dispensed while the app can provide a complete analysis of your supplementing.

Also at Interzoo, Red Sea will be introducing their ReefClean™ series of high-performance Reef-Spec® protein skimmers with advanced features that can support fish tanks up to 2700L or SPS systems of up to 900L.

More big news from Red Sea is the release of their next generation REEFER™ systems, featuring some major upgrades to their best-selling aquariums. These include a Refugium-ready sump, adjustable height skimmer chamber and a media filter cup in addition to the standard micron filter bag. In addition, the cabinets for the Reefer 425 & 525 models have been upgraded to extra durable HPL coated plywood with fully adjustable feet for perfect leveling on any surface- which are already standard on the XXL and Peninsula models.

Look out for Red Sea’s next generation REEFER™ systems coming out this summer while Red Sea’s connected devices are expected to reach the market towards the end of 2018.''

Nobbygas

Shaun, don't know about you but I'll be buying some of those Filter Cups as soon as they hit the market !

459ff9449ce04191501f147af406fa99.jpg

SPR

Shaun, don't know about you but I'll be buying some of those Filter Cups as soon as they hit the market !

459ff9449ce04191501f147af406fa99.jpg
I suppose it will depend if they are for the Max system or the Reefers?

To be honest I like the washing machine treatment having finally tried it after 20 months hand washing with a hose pipe.

I just drop all but my last 2 mesh socks into the washer, I now add some bleach as well, give it a 2 hour cycle with bleach, and then another 2 hour cycle with just water. They come out like new and are then just left to dry in my clean sock bucket.

I just do it when I’m home and the washer isn’t in use and it’s as simple as pushing a few buttons.

If you haven’t tried it yet it’s so simple.

Nobbygas

Nothing much happening in my tank to report on at the moment. I'm just going through one of my 'stop, wait and look' spells. Although I lost two Blue Chromis recently (I suspect bullying), all the other fish are looking healthy and fat. All of the corals are growing well, with good growth especially on two very small Hystrix frags I have. They seem to have quadrupled in size in a matter of weeks!
I will still be looking for a couple more fish to add, but I have nothing in particular that I want. I'll just browse, look around, and when I see something I really want, I'll go for it !
I also have lots more room for corals, but as with the fish, I'll take my time and only buy something that makes me go "uh"!
The water quality appears to be good, with all parameters staying pretty steady. Nitrate is always around 10ppm. Phos is rock solid at 0.02. Calc 450, Mag 1400 and Alk between 8.0 and 8.4. I'm finding that I am testing just one a week now, as nothing much seems to change. I still haven't completed a water change since January. My next ICP test is due to be sent out sometime this week.

With four Wrasse, I really should think about getting a mesh lid for the tank.

I will watch with interest the development/sales/comments regarding the new Red Sea LED's. These must be the light units they were developing before they switched to the Hydra HD 26's, which with hindsight, were used as a stop-gap until these new LED units were developed. At some point in the future I suspect I will have to replace my current HD 26's, so will the new LED units fit into the light assembly on an S-650? I need to know this, as my light units are now out of warranty, so if they fail for whatever reason, they have to be replaced, so, as they fail (which they probably will now that I've mentioned it!) can I replace the units one-by-one with the new Red Sea LED's? Anyone know?

Nobbygas

How crazy is this !
I have a Dupla 270 RO system. To replace the two filters and the membrane will cost me 111 euros, but I can buy the whole unit, complete with tubing, canisters, filters, membrane etc, for 112 euro !
In this age of recycling and re-use, isn't this just wrong?

Nobbygas

Mmmm, just got a couple of potential problems cropping up. First, the Red Gonipora has gone into hiding. It hasn't been out for a couple of days. Now the polyps are 'back in the rock', so to speak, you can see there has been very good growth of the skeleton/rock hard bit. I completed a full water test this morning, and everything is ok and stable......So I'm not sure why it's decided to 'retract.
Secondly, my Male Blue Throated Trigger has two small white lumps either side of it's mouth. On first glance it looks as though it may be a bacterial infection, so tomorrow I'll head down to the LFS to see what bacterial treatments they have available.

Pancho75

Ooops, I hope both the Gonipora and the Triggerfish get better soon. The Goniporas are aggressive so perhaps got into trouble with another coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

The Gonipora sort of half came out yesterday. Something has upset it, but I don't know what. As it was half out I gave it some Reef Roids. Just thought I'd give it it's favourite treat. We all like a bit of pampering when we are feeling under the weather !

Nobbygas

The Gonipora seems to have made a full recovery. Strange as to why it decided to disappear for a few days. It has been growing well, and when retracted you can clearly see where it has encrusted into the rock and spread out from it's initial placing.
I've ordered some Seachem Kanaplex for the Male Trigger. He still has the white bumps around his mouth. As always, it is virtually impossible to get medication of any sort from any LFS here. It's so frustrating to see huge shops selling saltwater fish and all the combinations of aquariums, equipment etc, yet not one of them sell even the most basic anti-biotics! The attitude of the people in the shops is just, "you have to take the fish out to treat it", when we all know this is not true. The Kanaplex can be mixed with the food. It is a real problem in Germany with buying chemicals of any description, and not just for fish.
Other than that the only issues at the moment are the heat. It's been over 30 degrees here for the last few weeks. The Chiller does a fine job of keeping the temp stable. I have the temp set for 27 degrees, with a half degree variation, so at 27.5 the Chiller kicks in to bring it back down to 27. However, this may happen four times a day ! The tank does appear to be a bit 'cloudier' than normal, although that could be just my imagination.

Other news: I'm off to visit my Dive Doctor tomorrow (Friday). I'm hoping to get the all-clear to resume diving again after my heart attack four years ago. Fingers crossed.

SPR

The Gonipora seems to have made a full recovery. Strange as to why it decided to disappear for a few days. It has been growing well, and when retracted you can clearly see where it has encrusted into the rock and spread out from it's initial placing.
I've ordered some Seachem Kanaplex for the Male Trigger. He still has the white bumps around his mouth. As always, it is virtually impossible to get medication of any sort from any LFS here. It's so frustrating to see huge shops selling saltwater fish and all the combinations of aquariums, equipment etc, yet not one of them sell even the most basic anti-biotics! The attitude of the people in the shops is just, "you have to take the fish out to treat it", when we all know this is not true. The Kanaplex can be mixed with the food. It is a real problem in Germany with buying chemicals of any description, and not just for fish.
Other than that the only issues at the moment are the heat. It's been over 30 degrees here for the last few weeks. The Chiller does a fine job of keeping the temp stable. I have the temp set for 27 degrees, with a half degree variation, so at 27.5 the Chiller kicks in to bring it back down to 27. However, this may happen four times a day ! The tank does appear to be a bit 'cloudier' than normal, although that could be just my imagination.

Other news: I'm off to visit my Dive Doctor tomorrow (Friday). I'm hoping to get the all-clear to resume diving again after my heart attack four years ago. Fingers crossed.
Hope all goes well at the doctor for you, although why you would want to go diving.....!! lol

Gonipora are funny things. I’ve had several, some died but the current Red and a green one are doing fine. I think it depends we’re there from, farmed etc

Have you tried Charterhouse for the medication, I believe they do international shipping?

Nobbygas

No final result from the Doc yet concerning the diving, but at the moment everything is looking good. I just have to get the Heart Doc to ring the Diving Doc, so they can have a good chinwag about me before he'll sign me off as good to go !

In the meantime, one of the problems I have here in Germany is the cost of new corals/frags. Some of the prices are ridiculous, and there is no doubt that the cost has held me back from buying more........However, I've come across something that looks really good. It's a website called 'Community Coral'. It's a collection of around sixty small shops and people who breed corals as a hobby, but are looking to sell some.....and the prices are really low compared to the shops! As an example, one Ricordia head would cost around 35 euros in the shops. I can get the same from these guys for 15 euro ! The prices here in Germany also puts a brake on buying Corals in that I sometimes balk at paying 80 euros for something that just may not adapt to my tank! Quite often we don't know if a particular coral will survive. I think we all have experiences of corals dying for no real reason. It's just part of the hobby. However, I don't mind paying 20 euro for the same gamble.
They do a 24hr express delivery, so I think I'll put in a small order to see how it goes.

SPR

No final result from the Doc yet concerning the diving, but at the moment everything is looking good. I just have to get the Heart Doc to ring the Diving Doc, so they can have a good chinwag about me before he'll sign me off as good to go !

In the meantime, one of the problems I have here in Germany is the cost of new corals/frags. Some of the prices are ridiculous, and there is no doubt that the cost has held me back from buying more........However, I've come across something that looks really good. It's a website called 'Community Coral'. It's a collection of around sixty small shops and people who breed corals as a hobby, but are looking to sell some.....and the prices are really low compared to the shops! As an example, one Ricordia head would cost around 35 euros in the shops. I can get the same from these guys for 15 euro ! The prices here in Germany also puts a brake on buying Corals in that I sometimes balk at paying 80 euros for something that just may not adapt to my tank! Quite often we don't know if a particular coral will survive. I think we all have experiences of corals dying for no real reason. It's just part of the hobby. However, I don't mind paying 20 euro for the same gamble.
They do a 24hr express delivery, so I think I'll put in a small order to see how it goes.

The only thing with this is you are going to have to be very careful what your putting into your tank, in terms of disease etc., as you wont know for sure the backgrounds ?

You may have to consider full dipping/quarantine or you might get some of those bloody asterina starfish like i have. Or even worse!

Have you tried mail order corals who i have used before. They say on the web site they may ship to European countrys, probably not Frankfurt though!

Nobbygas

Yeah, I've had some stuff via mail order before. I was really pleased with the fish, but the corals were a little disappointing. I know that a frag can be small, but some of the ones in the mail order were ridiculous !
I always dip new corals before they go in. The Elegance Coral for example had some flat worm drop off when I dipped it, and I got that from a shop !
I have seen some Asterina in my tank, but I always send them on holiday down the toilet, so they don't get out of hand. Can't remember the last time I had to lift one out though.

The medication for the Trigger should arrive today. I will attempt to 'entice' him into the fish trap so that I can target feed him with medicated food instead of treating the whole tank.