Nobby's S-650

SPR

Thanks for the info Shaun. I think I will keep mine in the ATO refill chamber. It's only a temporary set-up, with a large plastic container sat next to the tank, just to cover the holiday. You still worry though eh?
Yes you do worry still.

I think we spend so much time working on, looking and staring at the Tanks it would be heartbreaking if something happened.

I must say a combination of Apex and the HD camera make it much easier as at least you either know it’s all fine, or you know for certain it’s not so at least your not worrying unnecessarily! Lol. I do appreciate this comes at a high price but.....

You going anywhere exotic and nice ?

Nobbygas

Nothing spectacular this year, just Fuerteventura. It's the first year we've had to fit in with the school holidays. I'm not 100% looking forward to it. I prefer quieter locations, like on a dive boat in the middle of the Red Sea, with no phone/tv/radio connections....She Who Casts No Shadow booked it....

I've only got my 75 year old Mother-In-Law to look after the tank. She's Greek, and her German is not perfect (better than mine though) and her English is non-existent. I do have the number of somebody I've never met who may be able to go to the house if there is a problem...maybe... One of my problems is that I don't know anyone who has a tank. I do have an English friend who can make it to my house in the event of a problem. At least I'll be able to explain things easily to him over the phone.

SPR

Nothing spectacular this year, just Fuerteventura. It's the first year we've had to fit in with the school holidays. I'm not 100% looking forward to it. I prefer quieter locations, like on a dive boat in the middle of the Red Sea, with no phone/tv/radio connections....She Who Casts No Shadow booked it....

I've only got my 75 year old Mother-In-Law to look after the tank. She's Greek, and her German is not perfect (better than mine though) and her English is non-existent. I do have the number of somebody I've never met who may be able to go to the house if there is a problem...maybe... One of my problems is that I don't know anyone who has a tank. I do have an English friend who can make it to my house in the event of a problem. At least I'll be able to explain things easily to him over the phone.
And your worrying for what reason exactly!!! Lol

Pancho75

If it is to fill the RO/Di reserve and change the filter socks it should be fine, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Yep. The RO ATO is set ok. Feeding is not a problem, and she only has to remove the floss from the cups and replace it with some I have already broken into the right size and washed out....what can possibly go wrong eh?

Nobbygas

Back from the holiday already !
The tank survived a whole two days without me!

What happened?

Arrived at the hotel in Fuerenteventura (Canary Islands) around 1pm on Monday. 6pm that night got a phone call to inform me my Mother had died. Tuesday, while waiting for news of the funeral date, Lenny my seven year old Son broke both the bones just above his left wrist playing football. So we got the first available flight back to Germany on the Wednesday, and he is now in hospital having his arm operated on !

SPR

Back from the holiday already !
The tank survived a whole two days without me!

What happened?

Arrived at the hotel in Fuerenteventura (Canary Islands) around 1pm on Monday. 6pm that night got a phone call to inform me my Mother had died. Tuesday, while waiting for news of the funeral date, Lenny my seven year old Son broke both the bones just above his left wrist playing football. So we got the first available flight back to Germany on the Wednesday, and he is now in hospital having his arm operated on !
I’m so sorry to hear this, and I hope Lenny gets better quickly.

Nobbygas

Lenny is running around like a demented fool. His arm is in a cast, but it hasn't affected him in the slightest. Thanks for the concern.

In the meantime I have left the tank to run just as if I were on holiday for two weeks. I found that the ATO water, via the normal ATO fill and the additional plastic tub I had fixed up, was indeed sufficient to last. I didn't clean the skimmer, and that has worked well.

The Red Sea Filter Cups are fantastic! I only place filter floss in them (no media), and I'm finding that I only have to replace this every three or four days. It takes just seconds to remove the old floss and replace with new. No washing of socks. Bliss.

Nobbygas

Well, I've made my first addition to the tank for over three months. I've got a really nice Mandarin. The tank is choc-a-block with Copepods, so he should find plenty to eat.

Also, thank God I've got a chiller! The outside temperature yesterday was 37 degrees. Inside the house it was 27 degrees. The tank usually runs a couple of degrees hotter than the ambient temperature in the house. The tank would be dead without the chiller as it's been up around 30 degrees for over two months now.....The forecast is for 39 degrees on Friday, and we haven't even got to August yet, which is always the hottest month of the year!
The hot weather has also had a big affect on the ATO. In the Winter I usually have to refill the ATO every four days. In the hotter weather, with the increase in the Humidity, it is lasting about 8 days ! It's always a weird one to get your head around!

Pancho75

I cannot agree with you more about the chiller, I had similar issues during last year summer. I had to use 3 fans to bring the temperature down. Now with the chiller I don’t have to even worry about it and it is very quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

The Yellow Wrasse (or Banana Wrasse) is doing very well. It was eating straight away and didn't hide in the sand for a couple of weeks. Really happy with this one.

The Red Sea Mesh Top......Hhmmmmm.
I found the assembly was not the easiest. The instructions were not that clear. I was not happy having to cut every single piece of the frame. Red Sea products are usually top notch, but I feel that the Mesh Top falls below their usual high standards. I have the feeling that it is a temporary solution on my tank, and in the long term a proper lid is needed, one that has feeding doors etc. I'm already getting fed up of lifting the whole lid just to pop some food in, and it's only been on the tank for two days !

There is still no break in the weather here. Daytime temperatures are around the mid 30's, and the Chiller is really earning it's keep. I'm not looking forward to the next electric bill though.

SPR

The Yellow Wrasse (or Banana Wrasse) is doing very well. It was eating straight away and didn't hide in the sand for a couple of weeks. Really happy with this one.

The Red Sea Mesh Top......Hhmmmmm.
I found the assembly was not the easiest. The instructions were not that clear. I was not happy having to cut every single piece of the frame. Red Sea products are usually top notch, but I feel that the Mesh Top falls below their usual high standards. I have the feeling that it is a temporary solution on my tank, and in the long term a proper lid is needed, one that has feeding doors etc. I'm already getting fed up of lifting the whole lid just to pop some food in, and it's only been on the tank for two days !

There is still no break in the weather here. Daytime temperatures are around the mid 30's, and the Chiller is really earning it's keep. I'm not looking forward to the next electric bill though.
I did tell you to read the instructions and then ignore them completely! Lol

I just lift up one corner to feed frozen cubes or whatever and it’s very easy. I only lift off the screen every 2 days when I clean the glass and that’s it.

I found it a bit tricky at the start but you’ll soon get the hang of it.

Nobbygas

One thing I noticed yesterday about the lid. I was messing around in the sump and I kicked up a bit of crap in there, which then made the DT a bit 'foggy'. Directly below the two support bars on the mesh lid there was a distinct 'shadow', like a dark beam, showing that directly beneath the two support bars there could be a light problem?