Nobby's S-650

Pancho75

That system looks super good, space is the problem and in my case is even worst, I have less space in the S-500. I would need to check physically before doing anything. But same as the valve... please go ahead and send us the pics and procedures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

My first question to D&D was concerning the Flow Rate through the Clarisea SK3000. It states that it can handle 5,000lph, but the pump on the S-650 is rated at 7,000lph.......

Answer: "The return pump may state 7000 l/hr but the true flow rate after taking head and pipe restrictions into account will probably be closer to 5000 l/hr anyway . The clarisea's have been tested with a true flow rate of 5000 l/hr using flow meters."

The next question I asked was how to fit the unit into the sump of an RS S-650. Personally, I think it can only work in our sumps if fed by a pump. If so, then I don't think I will want yet another pump in the sump pushing through 5,000lph into the Clarisea. I'm still waiting on an answer to this...

Nobbygas

and to the next answer from D&D...

"Hi, Im not quite sure how the Red Sea tanks are piped but if the tank has a standpipe you would need to modify the standpipe and feed it into the Clarisea unit. The Clarisea accepts 32mm hard pipe or you can fit a VDL style hose tail and soft pipe the unit to the standpipe. If you dont wish to modify your pipework you could feed the unit from a separate pump in the sump although this wont be as efficient."

So, it looks as though we'd need a flexible pipe to go from the downpipe to connect to the Clarisea, and then maybe sit the Clarisea into the space currently occupied by the Skimmer, with the Skimmer moving into the 'main' area of the Sump? Why am I worried about the downpipe feeding directly into a device?

SPR

and to the next answer from D&D...

"Hi, Im not quite sure how the Red Sea tanks are piped but if the tank has a standpipe you would need to modify the standpipe and feed it into the Clarisea unit. The Clarisea accepts 32mm hard pipe or you can fit a VDL style hose tail and soft pipe the unit to the standpipe. If you dont wish to modify your pipework you could feed the unit from a separate pump in the sump although this wont be as efficient."

So, it looks as though we'd need a flexible pipe to go from the downpipe to connect to the Clarisea, and then maybe sit the Clarisea into the space currently occupied by the Skimmer, with the Skimmer moving into the 'main' area of the Sump? Why am I worried about the downpipe feeding directly into a device?
This is why I’m sticking with filter socks, washing machine, and my extra filter wool in the sump. The Clarisea is probably more designed for custom built systems were it can be added and not our tanks and although I’m sure you could get it working I’m just thinking is it really worth it ?

SPR

As your and IT expert how come you haven’t installed Apex ‘yet’ ?

I do appreciate it’s expensive but it’s really very good. Well apart from when you get off a plane across the other side of the world, relax and crack a beer, and then see your salinity reading is 54!!lol

Nobbygas

This is why I’m sticking with filter socks, washing machine, and my extra filter wool in the sump. The Clarisea is probably more designed for custom built systems were it can be added and not our tanks and although I’m sure you could get it working I’m just thinking is it really worth it ?
Yep, I've concluded that the Clarisea, while looking to be a very good piece of kit, is not suitable for our Sumps.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

As your and IT expert how come you haven’t installed Apex ‘yet’ ?

I do appreciate it’s expensive but it’s really very good. Well apart from when you get off a plane across the other side of the world, relax and crack a beer, and then see your salinity reading is 54!!lol

To be honest, I'm not sure that I need an Apex. I can see the benefits that it can bring you, because of the travelling you have to do. For me, I don't see any real benefits. It would be a 'nice to have' thing for me, and that's about it. Nice to have, but not really necessary.....However, I am keeping a beady eye on the Apex Trident thingy device :)

Nobbygas

However, I am thinking (yes, it does hurt) about buying a new Return Pump, so I'm obviously looking at the Vectra M1. Now, how do you connect this thing up to an S-650? Would I have to replace the whole flexipipe that goes from the pump up to the 'up pipe' (or whatever it's called) or can I just use the existing flexipipe?
Does anyone know?

SPR

However, I am thinking (yes, it does hurt) about buying a new Return Pump, so I'm obviously looking at the Vectra M1. Now, how do you connect this thing up to an S-650? Would I have to replace the whole flexipipe that goes from the pump up to the 'up pipe' (or whatever it's called) or can I just use the existing flexipipe?
Does anyone know?
I have been through the ‘how to connect a different pump’ over a period of a year or so and how to fix it. I did however buy a spare Red Sea one just in case in the meantime while I figured how to remove and clean the pump while I was learning and they arnt cheap. So I have 2 and swap them every 6 months or so and soak the dirty one in citric acid for a week. They come up like new.

I went to LFS and found the size of connector that’s on the end of the flexipipe by finding what screws onto the return pump. I think from memory it’s a female 25mm fitting. Then you just need to make the ‘new type’ of pump fit that.

You don’t ‘need’ Apex and nor do I, but when you eventually give in and get it you will wonder why you didn’t have it before. And you can’t have Trident without Apex and thats coming out shortly and it will be in my shopping bag as soon as it hits our shores! Lol

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Why am I thinking about getting a new Return Pump?
Well, She Who Casts No Shadow is not happy with the 'humming' noise from the tank. I tried to explain that the main pump is moving about 6.5 tonnes of water per hour, but that made no impression. I must admit, there is a 'hum' coming from the tank, and I think the reason is that we have a cellar in our house, so basically, under the floor there is a gurt big empty space. If you go down into the cellar you can quite clearly hear the tank. It sounds as though something is touching the sump somewhere, but I've checked everything, and the main two things that create any noise are the Return Pump, and a Eheim 1000 pump I have in the Sump to feed the Chiller. With a bit of fiddling I can sort out the Eheim pump, but no matter what I do I can't seem to reduce the noise from the Return Pump. I've experimented by switching things off one at a time and it is the Return Pump that is the culprit. But, will a new pump solve it? If, as I suspect, it's the void underneath that is causing it, then no, it will not, but I have no way of finding out unless I get a new pump.

Pat24601

Why am I thinking about getting a new Return Pump?
Well, She Who Casts No Shadow is not happy with the 'humming' noise from the tank. I tried to explain that the main pump is moving about 6.5 tonnes of water per hour, but that made no impression. I must admit, there is a 'hum' coming from the tank, and I think the reason is that we have a cellar in our house, so basically, under the floor there is a gurt big empty space. If you go down into the cellar you can quite clearly hear the tank. It sounds as though something is touching the sump somewhere, but I've checked everything, and the main two things that create any noise are the Return Pump, and a Eheim 1000 pump I have in the Sump to feed the Chiller. With a bit of fiddling I can sort out the Eheim pump, but no matter what I do I can't seem to reduce the noise from the Return Pump. I've experimented by switching things off one at a time and it is the Return Pump that is the culprit. But, will a new pump solve it? If, as I suspect, it's the void underneath that is causing it, then no, it will not, but I have no way of finding out unless I get a new pump.

What kind of pump is the return pump on that? Is it a Sicce?

Nobbygas

Yep, it's a Sicce. Personally, I can live with it, but She Who Casts No Shadow is making my ears bleed again !

Actually......thinking about it......

Pump makes a lot of noise. Get a new one that is more efficient, cheaper to run, quieter, more streamlined, trendier, sexier, controllable.........
Wife makes a lot of noise.................*thinking*.......*thinking*........

SPR

The main return pump does make a humming noise and if you have a large void below the tank it may be amplifying it.

I believe the Ecotech vectra range are the ones to have and there are also Red Dragon pumps which I seem to remember are very quiet but also expensive.

You could also look at noise cancelling insulation maybe on the doors and around the inside of the cabinet. I also looked into this when I was bored one day with nothing to spend my money on ! Lol

I’ve sort of got used to the hum (it means it’s working!) and can’t hear it anyway when I’ve got the TV system on.

Alternatively buy her a TV for ‘her own’ room and convert that room into ‘your’ man cave and tank room like what I have. Then you can do and watch whatever you like. Whilst staring endlessly at your tank!

Pancho75

Yep, it's a Sicce. Personally, I can live with it, but She Who Casts No Shadow is making my ears bleed again !

Actually......thinking about it......

Pump makes a lot of noise. Get a new one that is more efficient, cheaper to run, quieter, more streamlined, trendier, sexier, controllable.........
Wife makes a lot of noise.................*thinking*.......*thinking*........
The Vectra is really nice and silent pump, having said that, the cellar will make it almost impossible to keep it really quiet. Have you try to make a kind of sponge filter inside the pump chamber and sit the pump on top? It will not be 100% quiet but I think it will give you the max noise cancellation possible.

In the other hand, buy the Vectra and show us the way you connect it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Anyone know what this is? It's an Australian Coral, and my LFS has some in.....I want it.

29249676_1673008102757829_6622391729897078784_n.jpg

Nobbygas

I had an 'Eureka' moment last night. It's going back to the two Wrasse (Canary & Leopard) I had that went into the sand, never to be seen again. I bought them on different days, from different LFS, and I have been trying to figure out just why they did this, especially as I have three other Wrasse who are fine, and I think I have found out why.
When I bought them, they both had to be 'dug out' from the sand in the display tank. Did this stress them so much, that upon release into my tank they just went for the Hari Kari option?

Interestingly, I popped into one of the LFS on my way to work today. Not to buy anything, but just to waste thirty minutes as I was a bit early.
Anyway, they have a nice small female Leopard Wrasse and she was swimming around as happy as could be. Well, it goes without saying that she'd obviously be happier in my tank! Not only that, but tomorrow they have an 'expert' on reef keeping (especially corals) in the shop. He will give various talks and is available to chat with one-to-one. He will also bring 100 corals with him, and they are all priced at 25 euros each ! Well, corals at that price are not to be sniffed at, so it's only proper and fair that I pop along, just to have a look you understand.

What are the chances of me leaving the shop tomorrow with four or five corals and a beautiful little Female Leopard Wrasse?