Nobby's S-650

SPR

Oh, forgot about giving a coral update.
After my early days of becoming 'King of the Coral Killers' I am more than happy to report real progress.
I have Torches, Euphyllia, Hammerheads, Galaxia (wavy things) that are growing well. One piece of a green Acropora type thingy initially looked poorly. It went from a bright green to a very pale colour. However, it has encrusted it's base onto the rock, and is now getting it's colour back. I suspect/feel/think that it put a lot of effort into the encrusting stage of growth, to give itself a solid platform, which caused the paling, and now that has been achieved it is starting to grow upwards and outwards again and the colour is returning. This may or may not be the right thinking, but it's what I think has happened. I have a Gonipora which is doing very well. Other SPS are all showing signs of good growth. One is a blue finger type SPS thingy, that snapped off it's plug base when I first put it in the tank. I left the plug base in the tank as it has a tiny bit of the coral still on it. That tiny blob has now grown into a good sized blob, and I use this as a growth indicator ! The Florida Ricordia is spreading well, and the Leathers are also growing well.
I think I've finally cracked my coral death touch. Initially, I think I 'chased the numbers' too much. I was a bit fixated on zero Nitrates and zero Phosphate, but I now realise that this was not good. I've also stabilized the Calc/Alk/Mag through rigorous testing and adjustment of the dosing, so that I now see only tiny fluctuations in these parameters. I use NOPOX to keep the Nitrates below 10ppm, and the Phos just stays stable at 0.02. Red Sea Colours ABCD are dosed just once a week, based on the Calc usage. I've also kept water changes down to a minimum. I think my last water change was about six weeks ago (or thereabouts).
I shall be sending off another ICP test this coming week, as I'm interested to see what the various levels are in the tank now.
It’s great to here its all going well for you at last my friend, very pleased for you.

You’ve just about summed up the fish characters as well, especially the yellow Tangs which I love and he is just so friendly! And the cheeky cleaner Wrasse, until he nips! Lol.

Oh and enjoy the Regal Tang while he is small because mine has grown like mad and must be 5-6 inches long now.

SPR

Also were do you send your ICP tests to ?

I’m not sure if I’m just being tight but there £31.50 for 1 test with Triton ?

This just seems rather expensive, for well a test.

Nobbygas

Also were do you send your ICP tests to ?

I’m not sure if I’m just being tight but there £31.50 for 1 test with Triton ?

This just seems rather expensive, for well a test.
I send it to Triton. As they are a German company it is far easier with postage. Who else does them test ATI? How much does heir test cost? The Triton test is pretty comprehensive.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I send it to Triton. As they are a German company it is far easier with postage. Who else does them test ATI? How much does heir test cost? The Triton test is pretty comprehensive.
I’ve read this about 10 times and still don’t know what you on about!!lol

I was looking at Triton but here there £31.50 for 1 test. What I meant was do you pay this sort of money every time or is is cheaper in Hamburg. Or am I just being tight ?

Nobbygas

I’ve read this about 10 times and still don’t know what you on about!!lol

I was looking at Triton but here there £31.50 for 1 test. What I meant was do you pay this sort of money every time or is is cheaper in Hamburg. Or am I just being tight ?
Ah, I see what you mean. Note to self: Don't try typing using the phone. The screen is too small and my fingers are too big !
The cost is the same. But using the service just twice a year helps keep you sane. If there are any parameters that are going awry, then getting an ICP test will show this up before it gets to an unhealthy level. Once again, we have thousands invested in our tanks, so thirty quid every now and again isn't really going to affect us is it! For example, when you dose the Colours, do you also test each of the Colours elements, or are you just basing the dosage on the Calcium uptake? I have been dosing the Colours based on the Calcium uptake, but I want to know if any of the elements in the Colours are going up/down. Am I doing things right? Have I calculated things correctly? I have two options. Buy all the extra test kits, with the hassle of testing, or send off for an ICP test!

SPR

Ah, I see what you mean. Note to self: Don't try typing using the phone. The screen is too small and my fingers are too big !
The cost is the same. But using the service just twice a year helps keep you sane. If there are any parameters that are going awry, then getting an ICP test will show this up before it gets to an unhealthy level. Once again, we have thousands invested in our tanks, so thirty quid every now and again isn't really going to affect us is it! For example, when you dose the Colours, do you also test each of the Colours elements, or are you just basing the dosage on the Calcium uptake? I have been dosing the Colours based on the Calcium uptake, but I want to know if any of the elements in the Colours are going up/down. Am I doing things right? Have I calculated things correctly? I have two options. Buy all the extra test kits, with the hassle of testing, or send off for an ICP test!
Point taken!

I did buy the coral colours test kit, took one look and after 8 months it was on ebays!

So yes I dose on Calcium uptake which basically means 2 squirts of the syringe for each bottle every 7 days, and check it twice a year with an ICP test at £31.50!

What a splendid idea of mine and way to look at it!

Nobbygas

Very nice.

I quiet like the anemone with the clown fish.

The anemone (sorry coral killer) I had started wandering so I had to take it out but I might have another look into these as my clowns just hang around at the top of the tank or in the corner.
Ah, the Coral Killer. Now, I had put it in a spot, where if it did wander a bit I had 'loose' corals that I could quickly relocate......or so I thought. The bloody anemone moved around the rock 270 degrees clockwise from where it was placed, and in the video you can see, just above it, is a Red Gonipora. Now, I thought I'd just move that, only to find the Gonipora is now stuck to the rock, and when my hand went near it the devil Clownfish bit me ! So, I'm just leaving things as they are and letting nature do it's stuff. You can only babysit these corals so much. At some point they've just got to man-up and fight their own corner.

Nobbygas

The anemone does not kill other fishes? how safe it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it shouldn't kill other fish. If it moves around, it will kill any other corals it comes across though. Which is why I've put one in now, before the tank gets too heavily populated with corals. Once it finds it's own personal sweet spot it should stay still.

Nobbygas

I mentioned that the Clownfish bit me. They really are quite aggressive. I'll have to dig it out, but I have a small video clip I took many years ago while diving. Imagine the scene. There I am, all 6' 2" of me, covered in black neoprene, with bubbles bellowing out of my mouthpiece. I gently lowered myself towards an Anemone that had some Clownfish in it, so I could take some video....and in the video you can actually see a Clownfish swim straight towards me and attack the camera ! Now that took some guts I think ! Since then I have had nothing but total respect for them.

Pancho75

I completely understand you, the clowns are total $&@... I do not know if they are courageous or just suicidal hahaha. The female I have bit me in between the fingers and damn it hurt! so keep the gloves on when you go around their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I'm feeling a bit nervous today. I think I've finally got the tank under control, and that I understand what is going on with the water, what needs to be done, and what to look out for. I'm happy with the dosing, the corals are all growing well, and after testing, everything appears to be hunky dory.
I'm nervous because I am expecting the ICP Test results anytime now. Hopefully, they will confirm that I'm doing the right thing.

Pat24601

I'm feeling a bit nervous today. I think I've finally got the tank under control, and that I understand what is going on with the water, what needs to be done, and what to look out for. I'm happy with the dosing, the corals are all growing well, and after testing, everything appears to be hunky dory.
I'm nervous because I am expecting the ICP Test results anytime now. Hopefully, they will confirm that I'm doing the right thing.

Good to hear everything going well!!! (Knock on wood)

Nobbygas

A perfect morning. She Who Casts No Shadows was at work. Mini Me MKII was at school, and I didn't start work until 2pm. I thought to myself, "it's a nice day. I think I'll go for a pleasure drive". So off I went. Lo and behold, thirty minutes later I found myself in the car park of the LFS! It would have been rude not to go in.....and when I left I found that a Duncan with six heads, and a beautiful Elegance Coral (with yellow tips) had jumped into some bags and had followed me out! Funny how these things happen eh!

Pat24601

A perfect morning. She Who Casts No Shadows was at work. Mini Me MKII was at school, and I didn't start work until 2pm. I thought to myself, "it's a nice day. I think I'll go for a pleasure drive". So off I went. Lo and behold, thirty minutes later I found myself in the car park of the LFS! It would have been rude not to go in.....and when I left I found that a Duncan with six heads, and a beautiful Elegance Coral (with yellow tips) had jumped into some bags and had followed me out! Funny how these things happen eh!

Ha! That’s happened to me often! Corals are pretty sneaky like that!!!!

We will need pics, of course...