Nigma's 250!!

Nigma

thunk ya guys,

a lil update....
been testing every other day now... and for a while the ammonia been stuck at 0.25, and nitrites been stuck at 0.05/0.1 its been like that for about a week now.... did the cycle stop?? can it stop?

i been running the tank with just pumps no lights no skimmer.....

Nigma

been using the test kits that came with the tank.... i guess i can cross check with my LFS and c if they r reading right.

Nigma

ahg silly red sea..... yeah it looks like i gota pick up new test kits from my LFS

thanks for the advice guys :)

Conched

I can see your tank is going to be a real beauty.

The big live rock will look awesome when it purples up.

Nigma

thanks Conched!

so i been playing with my lights... while still waiting for my water to finish cycling... and i am just wondering... how can i turn my lights on without having the side fans on as well?? they r extremely noisy... is there a switch for them? this is really not good....

is there no way i can have lights on with those stupid side fans making such a loud noise?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear from you Nigma! I didn't realize the 250 fans were that noisy. The old 130 fan noise used to drive me crazy, especially when they got worn - the jet plane noise would scare me when the lights came on, but it would quiet down to just loud and annoying after they were on for a few minutes. If the 250 is like the 130, there's no way to turn those fans off. That may be good though as they cool the hood and probably extend the bulb life.

Nigma

that is what i was afraid of.... it is so loud my room mates r NOT happy about this... this will not fly well with them....

Nigma

some good news.. my cycle is done. went the LFS and had him test my water for me: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates 0 nitrites.

so i got 2 cleaner shrimps, and 5 small blue leg hermits, no snails because they LFS didn't have the types i wanted. and there isn't that much algae for them to eat.

shrimp on thermometer
IMG_0961.jpg

there is a hermit crab there... i swear!
IMG_0963.jpg

lucky couple
IMG_0964.jpg

one of them has eggs, i am not sure this is the one
IMG_0962.jpg

Dweezil

Congrats Nigma! It is nice to see some movement in the tank. You'll love those cleaner shrimp they are really cool. Mine climbs right up onto my hand when I'm cleaning and what not. He thinks I have food I'm sure! haha

Nigma

thanks guys, can't wait to fix the noise issue though >.>

those shrimps r very neat! the just chill next to each other, i hope the eggs hatch!

since the lights are on, i been seeing lot more pods! a diverse bunch of them, the LR must had been full of them

kyley

Nigma, cool new shrimp! I just got a skunk cleaner and fire shrimp added to my tank (had a peppermint too) - they're a lot of fun to watch (hopefully they'll come out more as they get more comfortable). Take care,
--Kyle

Manics1

nigma

Did you ever get round to replacing the 4 x internal hood fans?

l've been waiting for the dimensions and db level for weeks from Red Sea, maybe they'll get around to it today???????

You can buy a multitude of pc case fans that will do the job, just follow the link on Red Sea's webpage, l want to have replacement fans of a lesser db in my hands before taking the hood apart.

l found the 2 clip on fans noisey when they're installed in the hood, when you pop them out and connect them to a power sorce they're quiet

Manics1

Nigma

cool thanks guys, yeah the shrimps r really cool... one of them is a lot braver than the other... he eats out of my hand.. the other one is just too shy

manics1 i emailed pinky, about getting new fans.... but no reply yet, maybe the ones i have r broken or something.. they just sound SO LOUD!