NickF's RSM C130

NickF

I've been taking the Asterinas out in the mornings, I'd got most of them in the first couple of days now it's down to one or two a day so I don't think I'll have any problems. I'll continue to pick them out when I see them.
I picked up a Flameback Angel, he's doing great and is settling in very well :)

Here he is in a FTS:

The clowns have been doing a lot more "clownfish freaky dancing" then usual the last couple of weeks, hope that means they are getting ready to spawn, that would be cool. Might put some Barry White on later, see if it helps :heart:.

The worms have been going a week now, I'm feeding them a piece of milk dipped in bread every couple of days. Not sure how long I'm supposed to wait until there's enough of them to start feeding the fish, thought I'd leave it about 4 weeks and see how they look then.
I did drop a couple of them in the tank to see the reaction, the fish just swam around them looking a little bemused as they slowly sank to the bottom where the Scooter Blenny quickly gobbled them up!

spiraling

Hey Nick,
I love you scooter! Does he eat other food or just pods? I would love one of the little guys but I am concerned I can't keep enough pods in my 130 for one.

I did the same as Glenn with the asterina. I know I have at least 2 different varieties, but so far they seem to be model citizens, so I let them be.

Were you happy with your worm shipment? I started mine with a little tiny batch I got elsewhere and it has taken almost a year to get as many as are shown in your pict.

I've been taking the Asterinas out in the mornings, I'd got most of them in the first couple of days now it's down to one or two a day so I don't think I'll have any problems. I'll continue to pick them out when I see them.

Here he is in a FTS:

The clowns have been doing a lot more "clownfish freaky dancing" then usual the last couple of weeks, hope that means they are getting ready to spawn, that would be cool. Might put some Barry White on later, see if it helps [emoji813].

The worms have been going a week now, I'm feeding them a piece of milk dipped in bread every couple of days. Not sure how long I'm supposed to wait until there's enough of them to start feeding the fish, thought I'd leave it about 4 weeks and see how they look then.
I did drop a couple of them in the tank to see the reaction, the fish just swam around them looking a little bemused as they slowly sank to the bottom where the Scooter Blenny quickly gobbled them up!
That's a nice flameback angel you got there Nick! [emoji106]

Would be nice if your clownfish are spawning [emoji6]

Sent from my Xperia Z3

NickF

Hey Nick,
I love you scooter! Does he eat other food or just pods? I would love one of the little guys but I am concerned I can't keep enough pods in my 130 for one.

I did the same as Glenn with the asterina. I know I have at least 2 different varieties, but so far they seem to be model citizens, so I let them be.

Were you happy with your worm shipment? I started mine with a little tiny batch I got elsewhere and it has taken almost a year to get as many as are shown in your pict.

He's great to watch, I love the way he hovers around. Yes, he's also eating mysis and brine shrimp. Don't know if I got lucky but he isn't a fussy eater. My nessarius snails used to eat any food that dropped to the sandbed but he doesn't leave them any now.
I didn't know if my worm shipment was good or not, sounds like it was. There does look like there is quite a lot when they are congregating on the food so hopefully they will multiply enough so I can feed some to the fish.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow Nick! The tank has come along in a HUGE way since I lasted checked in mate!! You should be truly proud of the tank you have going there mate :) Your photography is pretty impressive too!

NickF

Steve's got his drop-in LEDs for the 130 models on his website, $350 for the first 50 customers. I can't see anything on there about shipping, can anyone from the uk who's got Steves LEDs give me an idea on the shipping and import tax costs?

Cheers

melvis

Hi Nick

Tank is looking great mate. One seriously jealous reefer here! lol

I'm STILL waiting to get my Steve's LEDs in, hopefully next weekend when I've finished up work for Christmas. Mine wasn't the plug n play unfortunately but shipping was $85 (so about £55). Can't find what the import duty was for love nor money but seem to recall a figure in the region of £70 but if I can find it for sure I'll let you know.

NickF

Hi Nick

Tank is looking great mate. One seriously jealous reefer here! lol

I'm STILL waiting to get my Steve's LEDs in, hopefully next weekend when I've finished up work for Christmas. Mine wasn't the plug n play unfortunately but shipping was $85 (so about £55). Can't find what the import duty was for love nor money but seem to recall a figure in the region of £70 but if I can find it for sure I'll let you know.

Cheers Martin, I figured it was going to be pretty steep, at least I've ballpark figure now.

I've just finished reading through the installation guide, it looks pretty straight forward and it's even got videos for each stage. I think it's time to pull the trigger and get them ordered :).

DaveR11

Here he is in a FTS:

The clowns have been doing a lot more "clownfish freaky dancing" then usual the last couple of weeks, hope that means they are getting ready to spawn, that would be cool. Might put some Barry White on later, see if it helps :heart:.

Fabulous, just fabulous!

melvis

No probs Nick. Had a look through online bank statements just now and found it, it was £78.03 so I wasn't far off the mark. Now's the time to pull the trigger mate....lol.

Looking forward to seeing them in your tank, your corals are going to look amazing. Love the Angel as well, I'm desperate to replace my Coral Beauty and was looking at either the Flameback, Potters or a Lemonpeel, which is what I'm leaning towards.

NickF

I've added a couple of pieces of live rock I picked up from the lfs:

Slotted in very well, I think it looks ok and it's nice and stable. Should look better when it gets some colour on it (probably turf algae from the rock with the anemone on it :mad:) and there's some room for a couple of new corals :woohoo:.

Got my order in last week for the new drop in LEDs from Steves, then I'll be able to test if the new install really is idiot proof :yup:.

My worm culture is doing great, I seem to have lots at the minute. Here's what I got yesterday, a lot more than I usually feed but they are multiplying very quickly :

I still can't get them without picking up clumps of soil, I've not got the patience to pick it all out but it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on the tank.

Happy Xmas everyone, hope you all have a good one !!

:snow::clink::drunk::ski:

Desmond

Looking great. Merry Christmas to you too ☺ will have to explain again to me about the worms. I have a pod tank myself and sump in with pods that I will connect to my tank in the new year ☺

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks absolutely stunning mate!! You photography, reef keeping, eye for placement of corals and fish choice are spot on Nick :) You should be proud :)

NickF

Looks absolutely stunning mate!! You photography, reef keeping, eye for placement of corals and fish choice are spot on Nick :) You should be proud :)

Thanks Wrangy, that's very kind of you to say. I think if I could start again I'd probably try some rarer corals, or at least not so typical (I love the colour of your zoas) but for my first marine tank I'm very happy with it.
I try not to mess with it too much and just let it do it's own thing, as long as I keep up with weekly water changes that seems to take care of things so I don't dose or chase numbers. I very rarely test my water anymore, just alk and calcium occasionally.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Wrangy, that's very kind of you to say. I think if I could start again I'd probably try some rarer corals, or at least not so typical (I love the colour of your zoas) but for my first marine tank I'm very happy with it.
I try not to mess with it too much and just let it do it's own thing, as long as I keep up with weekly water changes that seems to take care of things so I don't dose or chase numbers. I very rarely test my water anymore, just alk and calcium occasionally.
For your first go, I can tell you, you're not doing too badly at all! :) And you've definitely got the right mentality about the tank so you're getting the right results! Next time around I'm sure it will be even better ;)

NickF

Next time around.... My lfs has just set up a reefer 250 with a bubble magus skimmer, I do love the look of the reefer and would like a sump :). It looked huge compared to my 130, though they did have a reefer 450 set up recently and that looked amazing so maybe if I'm just dreaming I'll have one of those. I could use my 130 as a qt tank.
Pity I've not got the room :(, anyway I've got my LEDs coming soon. I can't wait to see how they look as I've always liked LED tanks & I want to be able to have sunrise and sunset like I had on my old tropical tank.

NickF

I gave the tank a good clean yesterday, changed out the CPE & Purigen & cleaned out the pumps and the back of the tank. I was cleaning the back right chamber where the return pump sits and pulled up a square piece of foam which must have been on the side or bottom of the tank? I don't know if it's to stop the pump from vibrating but seems ok without it for now.
A couple of new pics, cos it looks so clean :sunshine::

I think my Trachyphyllia coral is getting too big, I might swap it for a Scolly if I see a nice one.

I love the scooter just hovering there, and my hermit is checking out the new shell I got him for xmas :yup: