Newbies, a little something on cycling/breaking in a new reef tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: You made a note that sponges, floss, bio-media, and filter socks increase aerobic bacteria when the system is already deficient in anaerobic bacteria. So what are we to use for mechanical filtration? Do we rely on the skimmer? It just seems that there would be a lot of rotting material in the system that could have been pulled out by removing a filter sock and washing it.

steved13

PREMIUM
I can't answer for the OP, but since this is an old thread and I'm not sure the OP will be by to answer, I'll give you my thoughts :)

I think he was saying that while those things create aerobic areas they do not provide anaerobic areas. And while they will convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate they wont help convert nitrate at all. If used as an aerobic area they will build nitrates and become what is referred to as a nitrate factory. When use as a filter as you described they are fine, as long as frequently cleaned completely.

I can't answer for the OP, but since this is an old thread and I'm not sure the OP will be by to answer, I'll give you my thoughts :)

I think he was saying that while those things create aerobic areas they do not provide anaerobic areas. And while they will convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate they wont help convert nitrate at all. If used as an aerobic area they will build nitrates and become what is referred to as a nitrate factory. When use as a filter as you described they are fine, as long as frequently cleaned completely.

Thanks for the response. This helps answer why it is good to use a mechanical filtration so long as it is cleaned regularly. It also explains why using bio-media is bad since they are typically left in the system and collect detritus.

Thanks for the response. This helps answer why it is good to use a mechanical filtration so long as it is cleaned regularly. It also explains why using bio-media is bad since they are typically left in the system and collect detritus.

Cleaning is key, as Steved13 has said.

The aquarium with just live rock, sand and a skimmer is a nitrate factory. leave one without cleaning it properly, just syphon out water, and you would see that is the case.

Bio balls in a filter are a bad idea, better idea if suspended and not fully immersed but not possible to do that in a canister. Far better to use ceramic rings instead of the bio balls.

I run two canister filters on my 190L tank and nitrates are not a problem. Empty the canister filter weekly into a bucket, then take out the filter media baskets and wash them along with any sponges in the bucket of dirty tank water. My filters do not run with any floss but if they did I would change it on a weekly basis.

With the way filters are made now, it takes 2 minutes to get out of the cupboard and about 5 minutes to clean and install back into the cupboard.

steved13

PREMIUM
You can use ceramic media, or whatever and clean it frequently and it won't build nitrates. The problem is it won't build beneficial bacteria either, and since other things, like floss, or a filter sock, etc., filter better, and clean more thoroughly, why not use them instead, if possible. Folks use canister filters, do the maintenance and acheive good results, it definitely can and is being done...I'm just saying it wouldn't be my first choice.

boopedvue

I apologize for my endless questions....most are answered here. I think I was so excited to get the tank, get it set up and filled, I never looked at the topics on the boards beyond the one I have been posting in! Thank you for the very thorough explanation!

Rick D

I agree with you . No abbreviations would be helpful until us newbies learn the lingo. And some simplification would also help. But on the other hand , I do appreciate the time spent , and it did help. Thank you

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree with you . No abbreviations would be helpful until us newbies learn the lingo. And some simplification would also help. But on the other hand , I do appreciate the time spent , and it did help. Thank you

This link should help some:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/49019-acronyms-abbreviations.html

*Thread Closed... any further discussions should be carried out in a thread dedicated to that topic. This is to maintain the information in this thread and not muddy the water.*

Status
Not open for further replies.