Newbies, a little something on cycling/breaking in a new reef tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHank

To me, that's the wonder of the hobby. You are always learning something. After reading prows last comment and giving it some thought, I agree with him that ratio of denser to more porous rock really probably doesn't make that much difference. No matter how much dense rock you use, it would never come close to the effectiveness of the oceans natural sand beds. Also, if we tried to get a deep enough sand bed to replicate the ocean, we wouldn't have room for very much water.

I guess my point is that no matter how hard I try, I'll never come close to providing the ecological balance that mother nature provides.

As far as cycling a tank is concerned, It would probably be better to think of it as the Ammonia to free Nitrogen gas cycle that occurs in your tank. Another way to look at it is the establishment of essential bacteria in your tank. That is what you're really trying to do. You must establish sufficient colonies of beneficial bacteria in your tank before other life forms can survive or thrive.

prow

Good morning, Prow, and thanks again, because each time you add a bit more detail the picture becomes not quite so hazy.

I was doing some reading on "biotope" setups. And I think that's kinda what you're saying; a good way to set up a viable reef is to pick a piece of reef in the ocean, and aim for what is living together in that piece of reef. Fish, corals, plants, inverts, etc.

After reading that piece I thought it made tons of sense; what goes together in nature will have a better chance of going together in a closed reef system.

I thought about what creatures have struck me the most in my research, and the answer is clams. I'm also struck by host relationships; anemones and clowns, for example, or certain shrimps and anemones/fish. And, if possible in the future I would like to have a mandarin dragonet. So, reading more, I kind of zeroed in on a shallow reef clam tank.

So, I have the big picture of what I'd like to create, and I will begin to work my way down to the finer details to learn what all lives in that environment, how they mesh, and why they mesh. Now, I'll study from the perspective of the creature I'd like to raise. I'll be an algae, a shrimp, a coral, a fish, a clam and look around to see who I'd like for neighbors, and why I'd like them. Kinda zen! I now know to look into what sorts of nutrients each creature requires and how that fits into the bigger "cycle" picture. I see how "cycle" may not be the best descriptor, and I see how there are many cycles going on at once, at all different rates, and that different balances need to be monitored so that one won't take over too much.

It turns out my question about anaerobic bacteria was the jackpot question, because as soon as you mentioned the nitrogen gas bubbles in the sand bed, that first nitrogen cycle article you linked to went BAM! in my mind. Oh, much clearer now! LOL And, really the epiphany for me, here, is to look at things from the creature's point of view, not mine.

I will do as you suggest and start a discussion about DSBs, because I don't understand them at all, probably! :doh: I am going to have a sump tank with refugium, and I have seen that the fuge can be used as the DSB rather than the display tank.

Thanks again for your guidance, and you can bet that I'll be asking you further questions. I kinda feel like I'm back in school, and it's really good to be using the ole noggin again for something less mundane than usual!

It must be in serendipitous for me to study more before I begin to set up, because the LFS has said my tank is still not in, and they're hoping for next Friday. :time: The delay also provides practice in patience!

:whstlr: :bouncer: :bigbounce :bouncer: :bigbounce :bouncer: :bigbounce :bouncer: :bigbounce :bouncer: :bigbounce :whstlr:

thats so assume, you nailed it :thumbup:

like DrDank says
If it helps even one person, it was well worth your time
and you BarbMazz, made it, very much, well worth my time:whstlr:

prow

"He who sees things grow from their beginnings shall have the finest view of them"...Aristotle........

and i totally agree with DrHanks last post. we try and we try but we just can not get "ecological balance that mother nature provides"

buts it sure is fun trying:invisible learning and watching the fruits of our labor, ahhh you got love it:snrkl: ~i have yet to see a reef i could not enjoy watching:)

JoJo

I haven't learned so much since.....well, we wont go there but I really enjoyed learning so much from this thread. It was very clear to me how the nitrogen cycle works plus the sandbed was a plus. PROW, you're a genius buddy.

bluespotjawfish

TBR in my opinion is a ton of work. The good that I have left is this gorgeous orange sponge that is now over 5" across. All my other good is gone, some intentially because it became competitive with other desirables, some not so intentially (tank just couldn't support it's needs). One of the BAD is this evil crab (it was not alone). I find a new BAD something each month nearly a year later. I still hear "pop pop pop" from something.

Attachments

• P1060076-TBR-orange-sponge.JPG
    P1060076-TBR-orange-sponge.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 350
  • P1050472-monster crab1.JPG
    P1050472-monster crab1.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 354

BarbMazz

I have started looking into uncured LR. I've seen some really neat 'scapes done with the branching LR, and I want some shelves. If and when I pick up my tank next weekend I'm going to talk with them about what they can get.

It's not like I'm hurrying along or anything LOL.. what's another few weeks while rock is curing?

I think I may want to get different types of rock from different areas. It does lend to more bio-diversity using different types, right?

prow

bluespotjawfish, ahhh:eek: that pop pop:bouncebox naaa its not is it, naaa

BarbMazz, look through my chronicle all that rock was very much dead, all but one 2lb piece, when i started my tank up:)

ChrisP

I can't thank you enough, PROW! I've been in this hobby for years and study posts on a number of forums. You finally put things together for me in a n understandable way.
Chris

althea2you

great post prow... sorry im just getting to tell how much i liked it... but i have been reading! :drool: and re reading! :bugout: :bugout: so that when i do start to set up i will be very familiar with this. i want this RIGHT darn it... i want a nice tank that was started right form the get go! so i appreciate you taking the time to "spell" it out for me and everyone else!! i actually printed it out so i could read it...:p i was getting a serious crick in my neck sitting at the PC:apint:

djbacon

Prow, Doc,

Sincerely, thanks for all the reading material and great advice. Im just diving into this hobby and while I am using all cured LR Live Sand AND the water from the LSF. I am taking my time and waiting and most importantly understanding thanks to folks like you. Numbers have temp have been steady for 3 days running but I am not planning on adding anything for at least a month. Plan on using that time to read and read and read.

My end goal is a shallow mushroom and zoa reef tank with only a couple small fish. I had already put my lights on timers (unneccesary at this point) and likely to just promote the algae growth I do not want.

Sounds like the bio balls need to go and get replaced by a skimmer in a couple weeks if what I want is primarily a soft coral reef tank (please correct me if I misread this). Im running a 14g Biocube and its my first sw tank.

Im also noticing quite a few long (1/4" to an inch) white strands emerging from the LR. Are these feather duster worms? Anything to be worried about? I'm hoping Im identifying these correctly. They are about a mil thick at 1/4" in length and thin out to hair width as they stretch to an inch or so. when they stretch they have perpendiclular little arms (look like a really tiny skinny pipe cleaner). Anyway, thanks again for all the great info.

You guys are awesome.

prow

thanks, its nice to know that it is helping:D it was kinda challenging not going into all the details, so as not lose the "big picture"

ChrisP, thats sweets, like Dr.Hank said, this is not really for "newbies" and i know you know what i am talking about on how much of the info out there starts getting into the little stuff with whatever setup and leaves out the dynamics of other cycle interactions, or just provides info for part of system, which leads to "lost in translation" info.

althea2you, you will have a nice tank, just the fact that you are here=nice tank:)

bluespotjawfish, aahhh, those two left behind a not so cute baby:( lets hope it grows slowly. for those of you who are going, huh? we are talking about a very unwanted creature. the dreaded mantis shrimp, its a slicer, its a dicer and its hungry for your fish, crabs, snails and yes your fingers are on the menu too. but, even this guy is wanted by some. its really a cool creature but after it grows up it does not go well with much of anything. they pretty much need a tank dedicated to them.

prow

Prow, Doc,

Sincerely, thanks for all the reading material and great advice. Im just diving into this hobby and while I am using all cured LR Live Sand AND the water from the LSF. I am taking my time and waiting and most importantly understanding thanks to folks like you. Numbers have temp have been steady for 3 days running but I am not planning on adding anything for at least a month. Plan on using that time to read and read and read.
planning on waiting a month and reading up in the mean time puts you leaps and bound ahead of most :thumbup:

My end goal is a shallow mushroom and zoa reef tank with only a couple small fish.
nice, your are doing a chronicle, with lots of pics, right:contract:
I had already put my lights on timers (unneccesary at this point) and likely to just promote the algae growth I do not want.
yup exactly.
even though your water parameters may be all good, when you increase the lighting for corals the algae could really take off on you. increasing food/energy sources ect.., at least now you can see how that can happen.

a little expanding on this;
first of all, for microalgae, ambient lighting is enough to get it growing/cycling.
now, because of how algae cycles (NH3-NO3 stuff) and our desire for bacteria to proccesses them not algae we try to control it, esp in the begining. but because algae use of photosynthesis(CO2)(will explain), at night with reduced photosynthesis, algae growth will be limited and some will die off. plus, its also the time when tiny creatures(microbes that break down waste.) like to come out, which adds nutrients, kinda. now, remember anaerobic bacteria dont care so much about lighting or O2(CO2) levels, they are wanting that NO3. but they grow slower. so, with no photosynthesis (night time) you get algae die off plus added nutrients/energy sources (NH3-NO3-CO2), with little anaerobic growth at first, nutrients accumulate as well as CO2 "energy". its not really a problem later, after things balance. however, these type things are magnified during the first month/months.
light will get in the tank anyway, unless its covered or in a dark room, and algae will grow. the die off at night will add nutrients and little to no algae grow will occur, because anaerobics grow slower and in the begining their numbers are low, an accumulation of nutrients results at night, (namely NH3-NO3 and CO2) and bloomings occur during the day (photoperiods), which spreeds the algae. again lights off, this time more die off=more nutrients added. during the next day bigger bloomings occur, all cycles increasingly repeat until the tank is fully cycled (meaning all cycles are balanced with-in themselves and with-in eachother). so think of lighting as a tool of control.

before algae gets too bad of a name: lets look at it a little closer;
algae blooms will occur and are very much needed but more for their respirations and energy(sugar). we want bacteria to deal with waste like NO3, not algae(not going into how algae eats up NH3 or NO3 here, thats a scurbber topic). however, as much as we dont want algae to be the main waste filter, we still need algae for many reasons including dealing with CO2-going to get a little tiny bit tech here:invisible ;-here i hope you we be able to see more how several processes "dynamics" interact and how it gets more tricky with the interactions amoung all this stuff:bugout: . it can get pretty advanced pretty quick, i dont want anyone to think they need to master any of this inorder to have a nice reef or even know about it:invisible if you have not totally got the previous stuff dont get to caught up in trying to understand how all this goes and works with eachother, trust me you dont need know, but there is plenty the learn about this if you wish, no need stressing on it, if you get too confused or can not follow dont worry , as long as you get the first couple posts you will have a good solid start and learn more as needed, a solid start makes for a very forgiving reef:D.

ok, lets take a quick look at resprations shall we:):resprations is basically gas exchanges of CO2-O2. most know something about it happening at the water surface, as is applies to atmospheric gas exchange and CO2 levels effect on ph. but our tank are very limited in water surface area and atmospheric gas exchange, as a result our tanks, and us, use other means/methods to compensate for this and provide adequate respirations to balance things. how:)
we well use skimmers add buffers(react with CO2) reducing the work load on certian process like photosynthesis, kinda:) we grow algae, but perfer macros because they are easier to control than micros, later corals help too, stuff like that.

as for gas exchange at the water surface, in short, really it can get complicated, is just CO2 leaving and O2 entering by way of diffusion, limited to CO2 atmospheric levels. (note; rippling of the water surface increased flow water and air flow increase the diffusion rates). but because photosynthesis and respirations are so interlinked and the carbon cycle is linked along with everything else already posted, it starts to gets twisted :dead: on how it relates, and how everything relates to everthing. you really need to recognize/be familiar with the carbon cycle becasue its really the glue, no need to master it, though:D.
here is are real simple explaination Carbon Cycle - Recycling carbon
here is a more indepth explaination.
The Carbon Cycle

ok lets, take a peek at respirations (think, O2 and CO2 exchanges) :contract:
aerobic respiration-is used by both bacteria and algae.
CO2=carbon dioxide O2=oxygen H2O=water C6H12O6=glucose(sugar)

aerobic respiration of bacteria
C6H12O6 + O2 energy to ATP > CO2 + H2O
algae as photosynthesizers(light)
CO2 + H2O light > C6H12O6 + O2

now if you look at aerobic bac and algae you see how they work togather in other ways, not only NH3-NO3 stuff, but with gas exchange aswell. stretch that out you see the cycle. the end result of aerobic bacterial respirations is the begining of photosynthesis and algae respirations. only now here we are dealing with energy sources as controls instead of nutrients(building materials) kinda;). lighting for you in this case. then it start going really advanced on how the energy(sugar production) is used in other processes. its all goes together.

here this, esp. the last couple lines, should help get photosynthesis and what i am talking about. just went into this because it does play a part in setting up things to balance in ways we want. Photosynthesis
now, hopefully your still we me, and you can see how lighting plays a huge role in balancing things, and cycling in your lighting is just that, effects on ph-CO2-algae ect...its a domino effect that really dose effect everything, cycling your lighting to fast could result in blooms and overgrowths, however if enough anaerobic activity are present the algea blooms will be limited by anaerobic activity.

as you can see photosynthesis, repirations, carbon cycles, nitrogen cycles and others we have not even touched. phosphorus cycles, silicate cycles, water cycles ect.... all play roles, its a real ecosystem we got going on:thumbup:

by adding lights from day 1, too early, really helps encourage a chronic algae "problem" (perceived problem:smirk:). what i meant by a viscous cycle. now dont go to the extreme, left field, point of view, there is a lot of play here and many other factors come into play, like future additions (CUC, fish ect...). even corals effect everything. example corals use Alk which effects ph/CO2 levles which effects respirations which effects ect..., it gets crazy, too crazy and what works and is acceptable algae growth levels varies with everyone and everysystem. it really gets interesting when you look at chemistry and microbiology interactions. again though you dont need to know all this and should learn one aspect/method before going to crazy. hope when you deal with chemistry issues knowing that, that too is included in a ecosystem.

Sounds like the bio balls need to go and get replaced by a skimmer in a couple weeks if what I want is primarily a soft coral reef tank (please correct me if I misread this). Im running a 14g Biocube and its my first sw tank.
oh yeah you got it. i would not wait to remove the bio balls though. i see you are understanding how bio balls work. but will go into it a little bit again for others and add a little something more:)
what this bring up is another thing on bacterial culturing. that thing is the proximity of growths. what i mean is, i see you understand how bio balls only provide a surface area for aerobic bacteria to grow. which of course results in NO3 production. now because of the surface area and placement of bio balls( usually in high water flow=high O2 levels, but same if place anywhere) the aerobics will grow in that high food/energy area, on the bio balls, before they grow else where. so then the NO3 has to travel throughout the water column before anaerobic bacteria can get to it. now in this case, the algae will get the first chance to eat up the NO3, before the anaerobics have a chance. if the aerobic bacteria is encouraged to grow on the rock instead of on things like bio balls, dirty filter socks, any prefilter/spongy things, then the NO3 thats being produced is right next to the anaerobics and get eatn' up before they enter the water column and get used by algae. so, the proximity of the growing aerobics and anaerobics makes this system more efficient. can you see what i mean?

Im also noticing quite a few long (1/4" to an inch) white strands emerging from the LR. Are these feather duster worms? Anything to be worried about? I'm hoping Im identifying these correctly. They are about a mil thick at 1/4" in length and thin out to hair width as they stretch to an inch or so. when they stretch they have perpendiclular little arms (look like a really tiny skinny pipe cleaner). Anyway, thanks again for all the great info.

You guys are awesome.
sounds like spaghetti worms, good to have, eatup stuff:) their population is nutrient dependant.
no problem on the info, i am just putting a little back into a hobby i get so much out of:thumbup: please dont get caught up in the details of each cycle just yet. stay focussed on setting up then learn play/adjust later when your system is a bit more forgiving. just knowing the basics of each cycle is more than enough, you dont have to go into all the details of each. unless you just like to know, it does help:thumbup: here is a ecosystem overview of much of the stuff that going on Ecosystems

if you do a search on each system, there are some good charts like these;

one on the nitrgen cycle, note; where NO3 can go either to plants or bacteria
nitrocycle.gif

one on the carbon cycle, note; where photosynthesis takes up CO2 it also takes up NO3-how the NO3 can go to plants seen in the above chart, via photosynthesis (aka assimilation).
carbon1.gif

prow

o one other thing djbacon, in a 14gal tank all these thing a really magnified. so no light would be my suggestion. in a 100gal some lighting will not have as big of an impact on how things progress, at least compared to a 14gal system.

djbacon

Thanks again - I can see I'll be following this thread closely. You are a wealth of great info.

Skimmer is in the mail - it will replace the bio balls a.s.a.p. lights are off for the next month while I deal with my little hydroid issue.

Been reading about it all day and Im pretty certain that I dont want these in my tank given that they DO sting and I can find page after page of horror stories where peoples tanks become "infested" with these things as they multply quickly. There are already about 10 of these things popping out of their holes and the LR has only been there for 2 days. Taking a slice of rock back to he LFS tonight to confirm the ID and if they agree on the ID offered to replace all the rock from a different cure tank. This type of hydroid is allegedly difficult to deal with/remove.

Cheers and thanks again

prow

Taking a slice of rock back to he LFS tonight to confirm the ID and if they agree on the ID offered to replace all the rock from a different cure tank. This type of hydroid is allegedly difficult to deal with/remove.

Cheers and thanks again
that sounds like a good plan. i too dont like any ify things. as you know for me base rock with one good, well inspected peice of LR:)

djbacon

Prow, just wanted to thank you again for all your continueed advice. I've read and re-read your newbies cycling page and just wanted to be clear on this.

Im about 3 weeks into a 14gallon tank. (all live sand, live cured rock and water from an established tank at the LFS) Ammonia and nitrites are down and Im changing out water to reduce levels of NO3 to begin adding a clean up crew.

Stage 1 of the cycle is in good shape and now I want to focus on growing anerobic bacteria. My questions are as follows.

1. Should I still keep the lighting down to a minimumum to prevent excessinve alage growth?
Don't the snails, shrimp etc need the algae to feed?

2. Should I add occasional flake food or something to provide a steady food source?

I want to be very cautious and not rush the addition of too many critters in here, and ensure a good population of anerobic bacteria.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.