Newbie in Reef Sanctuary

erikokelf

Hi guys, i'm Kevin from Singapore.
I came by reef sanctuary by chance when i'm searching for rock scaping concept for my upcoming new tank project.
Through reviewing of the threads here, seems like here is the one of the marine forum with many helping hands and advises.
Have a great day ahead cheers!

ReefApprentice

Welcome!!!!Singapore that was a great trip for me!favorite thing over there wasthe duran smell and the exotic fruits and wildlife.

erikokelf

Looks like i'm in for a smooth ride with such warm reception by cool people down here.
My current tank is a 100G that have transform from a reef tank to a FOWLR due to negligence. Was kinda sad to see that happened as my time have really been restricted by work and school. Current tank have really became a nightmare with whole tank covered with hair algae and aiptasia. In order to stop this from happening and make amendment for my wrong doing, i decided to start off with a new tank for a better and "cleaner" house for my true perc pairs which have been through thick and thin with me for the past 4 years.

Current project is started in view of making husbandry easier with a lower tank height and also making most of the stuff automated.
Equipment purchased for new 60G tank is as follow:

Tank 24"x24"x18" rimless tank with 3 side crystal glass
Sump 20"x20"x18" 3 compartment with refugium

Equipment list
Vortex Mp10
Maxspect Razer 120w 16k
H2O FR with Bio Pellet
H2O FR with Rowa
Tesino GF352 3000 as return
Skimmer Bubble Magus Nac 5.5
Artica 1/10
3 point auto top-up system
ZeRO Reverse Osmosis EX4

Subtrate
2 pack of 20lbs Caribbean Sea Indo Pacific Black live sand
One full pail of dead rock

Mean reason for using dead rock is to stop pest from intruding my tank and i will have the ability to choose what i wished to add inside my tank.
This new tank will be SPS dominated which i have been planning for more than half a year after researching from many forum.
I know that i'm a bad owner for my negligence on current tank, but i'm here to provide a best environment for my current occupant true perc pair, flamehawk and harlequin tuskfish.
Please go easy on me :laughroll

forestal

Welcome to RS!! new project sounds nice. One reason I stopped in the hobby for a while was due to not enough time to enjoy or take good enough care of the critters. Now i am back after 5 years and want a simpler, less maintenance tank.

AJ REEF

Hi Kevin! You are right. It will be a " smooth ride" around here as there are so many cool , easy going people that like to help.

I like the list of equipment. Are you thinking of one or two MP10s ?

I have had two harlequin tusks jump out on me, so I would advise a cover for your tank. Great fish, I should really get another pair. :) You may find the size of tank a bit restrictive for swimming space for a tusk, but you should be able to tell if it is uncomfortable.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

erikokelf

Yeah it be a little hard on the tuskfish and hence I decided to go through the pain of giving it off to a better home since I can't provide it the best given environment. Very cool fellow indeed which have been with me for two years.

As for wavemaker, tentatively will be a single mp10 got trial as I will be deploying minimalist scape. Will wait and observe my coral "mood" before purchasing another one :)

Sent from my PadFone 2 using Tapatalk 2

AJ REEF

Sounds like you made the right choice. Keep us posted on your progress with a reef chronicle, and linking it to your avatar. It's a great way to share your build as time goes by.

erikokelf

Sure mate. i definitely will do that so i could get advises along the way to make it better.
But at the moment its a new learning curve for me to navigate through this forum haha.
Right now it will be lotsa snapping action come tomorrow because my new "baby" arrive yesterday :eek:verhere:
Once again really appreciate the warm hospitality here.
Cheers!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Good stuff man, the tank build list looks really nice. If you're going for the simplistic look take a look at some of the tanks out there that use acrylic rods to build structures.......they are awesome. just make sure you have enough rock to support your bioload.

The rimless tank with the Max on top should be fancy.

Good luck!

erikokelf

Probably will go with a "2 island" scape with one being tall and the other shorter. Thinking of making a "island" as SPS and the other for zoas garden with some LPS.
But it's still lots to learn in terms of LED for me as i have been using T5 throughout my time reefing.
Rest of the LR will go into refugium for pods to hide as i'm planning on keeping chaeto.