Newb here, 1 year nano experience

BoomerSooner

Hey all!

Well I have broke down and registered with reef sanctuary due to issues with another well known site online, reef XXXtral. I got ip banned for trying to sell my light setup in the club forums for my local city. Supposedly I am supposed to have 50 "meaningful posts" until I can sell something on that site.

My thread kept getting deleted over and over, and I have over 50 posts. Who the heck determines what a meaningful post is? Anyway, I am done fighting with the nazi admins over there, so here I am. :rocket:

I am excited to be here, and share my knowledge and hopefully recieve it 10 fold.

Here is a crappy pic or two of the tank taken with my blackberry, I didnt clean the tank sorry.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

BoomerSooner

Thanks everyone and good morning. I am just starting to get a hold of my hair algae problem which totally engulfed one rock (leaking phosphates?), and it spread everywhere. Replaced my lighting completely on my aqua pod, went with a 2x65 watt pc unit.

Hair algae is slowly dying, but it seems to be hanging around, maybe a 1/4" long on the rocks, hard to see in pictures but I can see it. Its not long enough to pull off, anyone got suggestions for removing it? I tried turbos, but didnt have any luck.

BoomerSooner

A little info on how it started: My lighting was used when bought the tank, but the seller said they were brand new (yeah right). After 4 months, I started getting on 1 rock, then it spread. I tossed the rock, as it was a lost cause.

Now I did a 3 day blackout, which all the corals survived without issue. Over the course of a month after this, I hand picked it out the algae and always followed up this with a 20 percent water change. I have cut my lighting down to 7 hours a day. I use saltwater from the LFS, which is the biggest saltwater provider here in oklahoma city, so I know their RO/DI water is good (they tested tds for me so I could find the culprit of the HA)

I have also ran poly filters every few weeks, but the so disgusting gross after a week I pull them out and rinse and repeat. I have run out of these, and havent used again since i didnt notice any difference.

The tank doesn't look horrible, and the algae is sloooowly dying like I said. It just doesnt look as good as it could.

I havent used Chemi-pure. Anyone think this might help? Maybe I should post in the appropriate forum, or mod could move for me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What are you feeding?

How often are you feeding?

How often are you doing water change (all at 20%?)

BoomerSooner

What are you feeding?

How often are you feeding?

How often are you doing water change (all at 20%?)

I only have 2 fish, which I feed 3 times a week. I feed pellets, and a brine/mysis/krill concoction I blended from the multipacks and re-froze.

I do a 20% water change every week.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I only have 2 fish, which I feed 3 times a week. I feed pellets, and a brine/mysis/krill concoction I blended from the multipacks and re-froze.

I do a 20% water change every week.

Pellets/Flake food can contain preservatives (Phosphates) which are Rocket Fuel for Algae.

If you're buying frozen foods you need to thaw it in RO/DI water and discard the water. Many times the binders (gel) in frozen foods is loaded with preservatives and other junk.

BoomerSooner

Pellets/Flake food can contain preservatives (Phosphates) which are Rocket Fuel for Algae.

If you're buying frozen foods you need to thaw it in RO/DI water and discard the water. Many times the binders (gel) in frozen foods is loaded with preservatives and other junk.

Okie, gotcha. I will make up a new batch and drain the water then re-freeze.

I guess the pellets get stored in the closet. It still doesn't make sense to me, as I feel like I hardly feed them as it is. I will try this out, and see what happens. Thanks!

Welcome :wave:

And yeah, that other site gets on my nerves too. You aren't alone. All the people here are extremely cool, and there's none of the petty bickering. All in all, this is a very informative, well-run, and non-neo-nazi site :D