new to this

newnemo

Hi, my names Lisa, and I've only has my tank set up just over two months, I never knew it would be so hard, but also enjoyable. I do panic at the slightest thing coz I don't want anything to die! I have a nano reef 30 gallon tank with
Cleaner shrimp
Hermit crab
5 Snails
2 Sexy shrimps
1 Common clown
2 Midnight gobies
1 Toadstool coral
1 Hammerhead
1Trumpet coral
The only real trouble I have is algae, on my rocks and glass and sand, nothing seems to clean them! Does it ever get any easier?:goofy:

jerry26

We'll need info on your water parameters. Also are you using tap water? Pics/color description of algae will help too.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Your tank is still pretty new so I would expect it is still going through cycles of algae especially since it already has livestock. If you can take a photo, we can help more. Also as stated above, your water parameters will be a lot of help too.

reefer gladness

What kind of snails do you have? You'll likely need to increase and diversify you're cleanup crew. It does or at least it can get easier but it takes time.

Think you need a few more posts (like 5) before you can post pics. One way to do it is by using a hosting site like photobucket.

newnemo

Yes I am using tap water, can you be succesful with tap water?
My PH is 8.0
My Ammonia is 0ppm
My Nitrite is 0ppm
My Nitrate is 20ppm
And finally my phosphate is 0.5mg
What do ya think?

jerry26

Tap water success is unlikely. Based on params im leaning towards what whippetguy said. How long are your lights on?

Oh wait, i was thinking your phos was low but the algae may be consuming it.

newnemo

The blue light is on for about 8 or 9 hours a day, I don't use the white light much. So are phosphates the problem with tap water?

Doogle

Phosphates, silicates, chlorine, other heavy metals like copper that are designating for a reef tank and inverts, so ya it's hard to repair the problems tap water creates.
Getting a RO/DI (reverse osmosis/demonization ) filtration system will help your long term success.
Here's one that has about the minimum I would want for a small tank but the more efficient ones don't waste as much water, if your water has chlorimines in it you'll need a an extra stage for that, ask your local water utility if they use chlorine or chlorimines and tell the manufacturer of the RO/DI about your water and tank and they should be able to get you squared away!
Good luck!

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

Some good advice on the top "required" gear for our hobby! Even if you don't buy from them, the concepts are key...

Must-Have Products for the Reef Aquarium by Robert Farnsworth, MarineDepot.com Reef Squad

jerry26

Many of us have used tap water and were fine for a while. Its just harder to prevent problems. Even with ro/di water youll still have algae but only if something is out of balance. Its your tank, do what you want, but most everyone is just gonna tell you to drop the tap water. I lost an urchin after just rinsing my pre-filters in tap water without a final ro rinse.

What color is the algae? Golden? Brown? Reddish purple?

Nob35

+1 for the above mentioned. The easiest way for RO DI water would be go to your local aquarium store and buy it from them(a true fish store not the big chain stores) most places sell RO DI with salt already mixed to the right levels for about $1-$1.50 per gallon and they should also have the 5 gallon jugs to but then you just bring them in to refill. For a 30 gallon tank a 5 gallon water changes should only cost you $7.50 and you will not have the trouble of making RO DI or mixing the salt to the right level. Tap water can be a major source of algae so best to get away from it.

jerry26

Sorry i made a mistake earlier, if your phosphates are .5 ppm, im pretty sure that would be considered sky high. Ive never tested over half that. If you wanna use tap water get a gfo reactor at the least. Thatll be less than 70$ and itll be your best bet for controlling phosphates.

I got a phosban reactor from drsfostersmith.com $30(On sale(theyre on sale alot))

I hear alot of people saying they use a maxi-jet 1200 for the pump but it takes such a low flow i use a 400 from the same site for $13 or 14 something like that.

The opinions seem to agree that bulkreefsupply.com GFO is the best.

Gfo will control two of the three algae food sources, water changes control the third.

If i made a mistake here or someone knows a better deal or way, feel free to say so.

shareef

Welcome! I am a newbie too. What I do is get my water from the machine right outside our grocery store. Take it home in a 5 gallon jug. Only costs 75 cents. I mainly use it for top off. I do my water changes with the saltwater from my favorite local fish store. That costs 75 cents a gallon! Algae blooms at the very beginning are natural, expected, and unavoidable as the saltwater ecosystem is forming.

newnemo

My algae is green/brown. By the way, when I got up this morning on my rocks something moved, a crab has appeared from nowhere, he is flat with legs on the side, and if he hadn't of moved I would never have noticed him coz he is the colour of rock, any idea what he is, good or bad, he seems to be cleaning my rock,and Ive no idea where he is now, cant find him.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you can get a pic, we can get an id :) but... most hh (hitchhiker) crabs are bad & you want to catch & remove them... as a general rule

I like snails for cuc (clean-up-crew) and all crabs eat your snails - no crabs here... even the better behaved ones like emeralds or some hermits