New to saltwater

JeffroT

Hi all. My name is Jeffro. I am new to saltwater but have kept freshwater setups for 20 years. Mostly Cichlids. I once had over 4000 gallons set up at the same time. I have been out of the hobby for about 8 years. I always wanted saltwater but didn't really have the time with kids and all. Now its just the wife and I and a newly built house.

My plan is to build a tank into the wall. I have a large storage/utility room on the other side. So space is good. I have a 180 gallon acrylic display tank and a 200 gallon glass tank to use for the sump system. I have not purchased any other equipment yet. I have been sort of lurking in the shadows trying to learn from everyone else's experiences, questions and opinions. I am planning to start building the stand and "frame" the tank on the viewing side about the first of the year.

I don't really have any specific questions right now. Of course any suggestions or recommendations are always welcome.

Just thought I would introduce myself.

Thanks, jeffro

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS!! You'll want to start a tank thread in the "Reef Chronicles" section so we call all follow along and DROOL at your in-wall 180g tank! After 5 posts, pictures will be in order! I recommend posting pics of the space you're considering so we can get an idea of the layout and I am sure you'll get lots of comments and suggestions on how to proceed.

:alien:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! My advice is read, read and read some more and take it slow and you'll do great!

JeffroT

Thanks for the welcome. Someone stated it in another post I read and it is true about this being a very friendly group. I have joined other forums studying and lurking around for info and they have been filled with "know it all condescending clowns". Not very helpful to a "noob". LOL

Being a "noob I'm sure I will ask plenty of "dumb" questions, as I was told in the other forum, But they are not dumb to me. If I knew the answers I would not have asked the question.

Yes I will post some pics of the area I have for my tank and a better description of my plans To see if they send any red flags up. I'm pretty confident with the location and basic plan as I have kept lots of very large aquariums in the past. My issue is the lack of knowledge and the overwhelming amount of information out there on SW.

I should start "wreckin" the basement as my wife refered to it around the first of the year.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
That's what makes RS special, no flames & just lots of great members willing to try to help you have sw success.

There are no dumb questions & we all had the same questions along the journey... :) condescending remarks, are on that other reefing forum ;)

JeffroT

I appreciate the support. I am already learning a ton of stuff just reading and following everyone's topics. I am enjoying the links provided and trying to keep my brain from exploding. LOL. I really love the pics the color is what draws me too the hobby which is why I was mostly African Cichlids before.

JeffroT

Trying to learn the site a little better. A few questions

What is a sticky thread vs. normal thread
What does "tunicate" mean under my user name?
Also just trying to get my posts up

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the title under your name if just a fun thing in the reefsanctuary software, as you make more most, it will change & "grow"

a "sticky" is a thread... that is stuck at the top of any RS subforum, it contains a thread everyone enjoyed & ask for it to be in a propionate place that didn't go away, so it would be easy to find...

Here a list of RS subforums... most all have stickies
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/forum.php

here some more post that may help too

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...t-threads-you-can-click-your-screen-name.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...cks/80642-new-forums-rs-some-tips-tricks.html

JeffroT

Ok I figured out how to add my avatar. I don't have any salt fish pics so I will use this pic from the Henry Doorly Zoo here in Omaha,Ne. It is one of my favorite fish.

Stephane Cote

hey JEffrotT. although your goal is a bit bigger then me, im in the same boat! i got a 75 gallon tank with no equipment.. i am however starting off with a 32gallon tank i got for 300 bucks!

i guess we will learn things together!

welcome! :D

Steph