New To Saltwater Aquariums And Excited To Learn As Much As I Can

parke2084

I have been into aquariums for a couple of years now and have always done freshwater tanks i have been very successful with my 50g African Cichlid Tank. I have always been interested in saltwater Reef tanks but i am in the Navy and never had the time and i was always kind of intimidated form them there is just so much that goes into it. Not to mention the cost. Well last Sunday my interest overcame all of my reserves about setting one up so I bought a 29 gallon bio cube i read a lot about the tank and reading the reviews about the tank which for the most part where really good thats what I picked. I am 5 days into it and i cant get enough i think it is great the whole idea of having a tropical reef in my house and learning about all that goes into doing so and it being successful is fascinating. I here to learn as much as i can and share what i learn to others. Here is a list of my setup so far.

Bio Cube 29
Bio Cube 29 Stand
20lbs Of Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand
20lbs Of Arag-Alive Florida Crushed Coral
30lbs Of Cured Fiji Live Rock
Coralife Digital Thermometer
Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pumps
Oceanic Bio Cube Mini UV Sterilizer
Bio Cube Protein Skimmer
150 Watt Smart heater

This is my setup so far and I am open to any suggestions and any tips for getting my tank going right. I will Post pictures this weekend. I look forwar to becoming an active part of this forum.

StirCrayzy

welcome, and congratulations on your newly found hobby.
there is a wealth of information here, all you have to do is look around, and read some of the old threads.
I have been here less than a year, i dont think i could possibily go through all the old posts, but man i wish i could. after being in the saltwater hobby for 9 years or so, i still learn every time i search the archives.

If i were to summarize all advice, it would be very simple....
Go Slow & research everything, or else.
Have fun... Happy Reefing..... Cant wait to see pics.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

DaveK

The best thing you can do now is get yourself a few good books on start of the art reef systems. They read and study them until you can make up your own list of what you need.

Here are two books I recommend -
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Palette
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

They will give you a lot of background knowledge, and then you'll be to the point where you can ask the right questions about any issues you may have.

tnwillia

You've come to the right place! I've found an answer to every question/problem I've ever had with my tank right here. Welcome to RS

Angel Fin

Hi I am new to RS too!! Have been reefing for about 3 yrs. Have overcome numerous bumps along the way and presently I am enjoying some modest success.
I run a simple system, 65 gal. not nearly as elaborate as many of the members I can see here! Refugiums, for example, I wouldn't have the first clue about setting one up!!
I am wondering how you are making out with your coralline growth,
Mine is growing only in shaded spots on the underside of rocks. I have T5 lighting and have cut their time a bit as well as starting to use a booster product.
Would love to hear from you!!

parke2084

Hi I am new to RS too!! Have been reefing for about 3 yrs. Have overcome numerous bumps along the way and presently I am enjoying some modest success.
I run a simple system, 65 gal. not nearly as elaborate as many of the members I can see here! Refugiums, for example, I wouldn't have the first clue about setting one up!!
I am wondering how you are making out with your coralline growth,
Mine is growing only in shaded spots on the underside of rocks. I have T5 lighting and have cut their time a bit as well as starting to use a booster product.
Would love to hear from you!!

my live rock coralline growth is slow but steady it is growing in little spots all over the rock in the shade and in the light. i will post som pics today or tomorrow.