new tank. what should i do

junnie

so a good buddy of mine gave me a 120 gal tank. 4 fluval 406( two of which are new in a box never opened) 6x804 power heads 4x402 power head and a few more that i cant remember. plus all new impillers and parts for everything. stand hood and a corallife led with moon light to fit. and a sh@# load more. he never used the tank. he gave to me ( this is the best part ) for free. he was moving and dint care to bring it as he was moving to the city..
what should i do with it. I have been out of the salt water seen for 4yr new. im sure there have been some great tech add to. the tank is not pre drilled.

HELP ME

tank you for your time and help:hallo:

gbose

Junnie:

I feel for you at this difficult moment. Just send me the tank, and I'll take care of it -- don't bother your little head about it at all :dance:

OK, this is fairly straightforward. Fill it with salt water. Add live rock. Wait for tank to cycle. Maybe a few hardy corals while waiting. Add a cleanup crew. When cycled, add a fish or two (you've got 120G, so two or even three should be fine. Research your fish first.

And thank your friend for his generosity. And enjoy your tank!!!!!

GBose

DaveK

The key here is to ask yourself if you want to spend the money it will take to properly setup and stock the tank. Keep in mind that the tank is usually the least expensive part of the whole thing.

You can look at what you have, but I'd say canister filters like the Fluval's, while a good filter, are almost a complete waste of time and effort on a SW reef. I suspect the lighting would need serious upgrades also, especially if you want to keep corals. However, you didn't mention exact models, so I can't be sure.

You can run through a lot of money fast on a project like this. Before you do, make a plan of what you will need and how much it's going to cost. Also consider the total cost of ownership. That includes power to run it and supplies you'll need. Then see if that is within you budget. If it's not, don't get upset. There are plenty of other possible aquarium projects that are possible, and would not be as expensive to setup and run as a reef.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Congrats on the free tank and equipment. What made you leave the saltwater scene last time. That would help figure in to what I'd do with it.

junnie

at whippetguy= i got out of it do to a very big crash to the tank. after 15 year, my asked if we could go on vac. week and a half later. I lost every thing. a brain coral died when we were gone. with no one knowing what to do, the rest of my corals died off right behind. to think you leave it in someones hand that said they could handel it.nope worng. anyways. i was so haert broken that i sold everything off. everthing was dead fish, corals mushrooms everthing. I hand a mated pair of green mandarin that made me a lot off money. this is why i stoped. but now im looking to start back up.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How BIG was your tank before? It's a lot of work, and just like you found out (sorry for your previous loss BTW), You can only trust yourself to care for all the tanks needs. It's fun & exciting & beautiful, but cost TIME & MONEY. I hope you set it up & love the hobby again, it's a good hobby & very addicting. You will never again have to wonder what to spend your money on :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Junnie:

I feel for you at this difficult moment. Just send me the tank, and I'll take care of it -- don't bother your little head about it at all :dance:

OK, this is fairly straightforward. Fill it with salt water. Add live rock. Wait for tank to cycle. Maybe a few hardy corals while waiting. Add a cleanup crew. When cycled, add a fish or two (you've got 120G, so two or even three should be fine. Research your fish first.

And thank your friend for his generosity. And enjoy your tank!!!!!

GBose

@gbose YOU are so funny! :laughroll love it! :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good to see you posting on RS again junnie ! The great members of RS, will help you get back in the game & have success !

burning2nd

for starters.. I wouldnt do anything for at least 30 days... that gives you time to sit read and research... and get some feed back

acquire dry Live rock
acquire salt
acquire Rodi
acquire a controller with temp probe and a qulity heater

for starters

ReefApprentice

A 120g.....I need a friend like that. Once the tank is cycled add a cuc ( extremely important in a new tank to rid of excess nutrients and bad algae.)Then plan a fish list( make sure they will get along and "play nice" and research :)).If you are doing a reef tank then add a fish and coral so you have something to look at.Hope to see this come along.