New tank Startup

stevenc

Here are pics of day 6, CUC has been working around the clock and doing a great job catching up. Looking for any suggestions for corals and new tank additions, I was thinking of a clown.
20141009_184658_zps25d30356.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141009_184653_zps319aea30.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141009_184713_zps3f7eb0f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Coming along nicely

I love snails for cuc ! Mine keep my tank 99.5% algae free... around one per gallon is what I like

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites,Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

You can start off a new tank 1/2 this many, than add more in a month or two.

Coming along nicely

I love snails for cuc ! Mine keep my tank 99.5% algae free... around one per gallon is what I like

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites,Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

You can start off a new tank 1/2 this many, than add more in a month or two.

Wow that is a lot, 1 x gallon. Can you then add crabs etc on top or is it that rough calculation for cuc in total?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can add crabs to the cuc while still using this ruff forumla, I am not a big crab fan, though fun to watch, they often eat your snails - so if you have snails & crabs, you will need to replace your snails from time to time - keeping lots of empty shells for the hermits to move into as they grow, helps.

Hera an example from John, the owner of reefcleaners for a 90 gallon tank

http://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/quick-crew-90-gallon

Shipped for free via Express Mail you will get:

85 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

29 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

27 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

32 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

stevenc

Anyone have any suggestions for green hair algea, mine seems to grow quite rapidly. Lights are on for 12hrs a day. ammonia is 0 ph is 8.2?

stevenc

Oxy, thank you, I will give that a try. Well Day 8, I added some coral frags today, we will see how the go. Added Radioactive dragon eye zoas and Watermelon zoas, Orange Chalice. Numbers are doing fantastic.
20141012_150515_zpsfde05408.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141012_150509_zps6e72f22b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141012_150505_zps1585cb05.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141009_184721_zpsd30b81c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oxylebius

Sea hares get big, I would stay away from them in your system. Your cuc is working their magic, give them time to eat all the algae.

Oxy, thank you, I will give that a try. Well Day 8, I added some coral frags today, we will see how the go. Added Radioactive dragon eye zoas and Watermelon zoas, Orange Chalice. Numbers are doing fantastic.
20141009_184721_zpsd30b81c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I added a radioactive dragon eye Zoa, has about 10 heads and is really nice. A deep green that glows in the dark, hence the name I guess. Planning on adding others Zoa's in that area to make a Zoa garden.

stevenc

Thinking about starting the zoa garden with dragons eye and watermelon. But thinking about changing the scape first. Not sure if I should do that yet though

Last edited:

stevenc

Well Added 2 new members to my tank tonight. 2 Clown - Percula True. Had to turn the lights out on the tank, as my royal dottyback did not like the fact that he now has company. He was aggressively attacking them. Has anyone got some advise on how to make him calm down?

stevenc

So day 13 of the new tank. Dottyback is starting to come to terms with his new tank mates. I have a fair amount of red starting to show up on the corals and rocks. I've added some new pics.
20141016_184120_zpsbeb1ec3c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141015_174807_zps831f6b64.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20141012_150521_zpsb9f30070.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

spiraling

looking for any suggestions for tank mates, or corals

I have two perculas and a watchman/pistol shrimp pair in my 130. They all do well.
For corals I've just tried zoas and acans and they do great in the light.
I think for corals you can get just about anything. It seems like the fish get crowded pretty fast though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think you may be rushing just a tad Steve. See how quickly the GHA is spreading? This happens in a lot of new tanks and you need to address the problem (excess nutrients or excess lighting or old bulbs are just some ideas). The GHA is a symptom and you don't want to be adding a SeaHare especially to such a young system.

Also that "Red" you're seeing is another symptom of a new tank with excess nutrients. You'll want to get these two ideas addressed pretty quickly because either one can wreck havoc on a tank's stability.

Here's what you'll want to try:

A) Reduce lighting greatly
B) Reduce feeding
C) Evaluate what you're feeding
D) Manual removal daily
E) Heavy water changes during/after manual removal

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In terms of a Sea Hare they are very hit and miss (more miss than hit) in regards to eating Green Hair Algae. Keep in mind that GHA is a very general term and there are many Many MANY varieties so getting the exact Sea Hare for your exact GHA is a gamble at best.

stevenc

Sounds good, I am going to reduce the lighting to 4hrs per day as suggested by my LFS. I also am going to skip the sea hare as the clowns seem to like eating the GHA.