New Tank owner

20nano

Hello guys, I just started a 20 gallons nano reef tank. Been cycling for a month and added live stocks now.

I currently have a 5 head frogspawn, a small (about 3 inch colony of Pom Pom Xenias, 2 head green ridordea, a colony of some broanish green zoas and the gold steak something something, unsure of its name.

Just want to start by greeting everyone and wishing everyone a happy holiday.

I am new to this saltwater hobby and have 1 question to begin with. Hope i dont get flamed for not really searching because I really cannot find the right solutions.

My tank is pretty much very clear but I cannot seem to get it to be like aquariums and/or other peoples aquarium picture.

I have a fluval 205, a rio 1100 and a rio 800. The rio 1100 is set to be at about half of its max flow while the rio 800 is at full flow. I also have an Instant Ocean 100 protein skimmer in my 8 gallon sump. The currents seem to be great and the water circulation could be good. I am not sure but can someone give me a tip on how to get it CRYSTAL clear? Its not cloudy but its not crisp. I dont know what the problem is. Anyone has any idea or experience a problem related to this? Its clear but i know it can be better.

Lets say that crystal clear is at 100% when the water almost seems invisible, mine is at about 90% or so. Something is there but i dont know what it is.

List of things i have in the tank.

-about 40lbs of live rocks
40lbs 2-3inches of live sand
1.5 inch clown fish
1.5inch spotted hawkfish
2 peppermint shrimp
2 zebra turbo snail
1 large regular turbo snail
and 2 1/2 inch hermit crab i found at the ocean shore (black with blue legs)
and a snal tat looks as if it has stripes and a very long nose sticking out digging into the dirt.

Once again, thanks for everyone's support and help. Happy holiday.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

EricTheRed

Hello guys, I just started a 20 gallons nano reef tank. Been cycling for a month and added live stocks now.

I currently have a 5 head frogspawn, a small (about 3 inch colony of Pom Pom Xenias, 2 head green ridordea, a colony of some broanish green zoas and the gold steak something something, unsure of its name.

Just want to start by greeting everyone and wishing everyone a happy holiday.

I am new to this saltwater hobby and have 1 question to begin with. Hope i dont get flamed for not really searching because I really cannot find the right solutions.

My tank is pretty much very clear but I cannot seem to get it to be like aquariums and/or other peoples aquarium picture.

I have a fluval 205, a rio 1100 and a rio 800. The rio 1100 is set to be at about half of its max flow while the rio 800 is at full flow. I also have an Instant Ocean 100 protein skimmer in my 8 gallon sump. The currents seem to be great and the water circulation could be good. I am not sure but can someone give me a tip on how to get it CRYSTAL clear? Its not cloudy but its not crisp. I dont know what the problem is. Anyone has any idea or experience a problem related to this? Its clear but i know it can be better.

Lets say that crystal clear is at 100% when the water almost seems invisible, mine is at about 90% or so. Something is there but i dont know what it is.

List of things i have in the tank.

-about 40lbs of live rocks
40lbs 2-3inches of live sand
1.5 inch clown fish
1.5inch spotted hawkfish
2 peppermint shrimp
2 zebra turbo snail
1 large regular turbo snail
and 2 1/2 inch hermit crab i found at the ocean shore (black with blue legs)
and a snal tat looks as if it has stripes and a very long nose sticking out digging into the dirt.

Once again, thanks for everyone's support and help. Happy holiday.

Are you running any carbon?

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome!!!

+1^ on the carbon, that would be my first guess. If your tank is looking like what it sounds like you're describing. Get good quality carbon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome! When you say the water isn't crystal clear, is it due to a yellowish color (carbon needed) or is it fine particles floating around?

zoomie61

welcome 20nano! You seem to have a lot of stock in a new tank, correct? How's your ammonia level? I've seen ammonia cloud a tank and if that's the case, you may be in a bit of an overload. Your little slice of the ocean may be a bit young yet for so much stock. Here's some great info on setup and maintenance. SW Gen Index

20nano

So far, every test comes out a bit different than everyone else i see on here. My Ammonia is always at .25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 0, PH 8.2 and this is from the API master test kit.

I am currently using the carbon that came with the Fluval Cannister filter and some carbon sponge pads where the Skimmer water falls back into the sump as well as a pad where there water from the overflow drains down into the sump. I have what seems to be very little tiny bubbles. The sponges i put at the water fall area seems to help and took away ablout 75% of the bubbles but there are still some lingering around. Could that be the cause of this mysterious "cloud" I have a photo in my gallery of the full view shot.

zoomie61

nice tank 20nano! Great rockwork. I wouldn't worry about the haze right now. Your tank is just a baby still. It will all settle down. I wouldn't be surprised if your nitrites rise a bit and the ammonia disappears in a week or so. Your tank might be trying to catch up with the new bio-load and the haze is just part of the ecosystem changing. It may be bacteria (harmless) or the ammonia as I stated earlier or just dissolved organics. I will bet that in a week or 2 it will be crystal clear and beautiful. Just don't over feed at this critical time and tax the system too much. Every 2 or 3 days will sustain the fish until your levels calm down. You are definitely on the right track!

20nano

sweet, did another water check today. Things are turning out good, got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate, bought a bunch of chaeteo (or however u spell it) algae and threw it in my sump. The bottom of the stand is packed now so i am making a hang on refugium soon. hope tat goes well.

Last edited: