New Tank and vaccation

Haaileybop

I will be going on vacation for the first full week of September for a bachlorette party in Vegas and then the wedding in San Francisco. Woot! Hopefully by that time my tank will be cycled. Should I wait till I get back from the trip to add in my clean up crew? Or can I add them now? I will have a friend staying at my house, but I am worried about her not killing my beta fish and dog while I am away lol. I would like to be able to look at something alive in my tank. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think if I were in your shoes (they'd be tight I'm sure LOL ) I'd just wait. Keep it simple and you'll both be better off in the long run.

Haaileybop

how long have you had the tank running so far?

I the tank has been running for 2 days now. So not very long, by then it will be almost 3 weeks.

I think if I were in your shoes (they'd be tight I'm sure LOL ) I'd just wait. Keep it simple and you'll both be better off in the long run.

Lol they would be! Sigh that is what I figured, but we are so looking forward to SOMETHING in the tank even if it is a snail and a hermit crab :(

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well sorry to pop your bubble but it's entirely possible the tank wont be ready even when you get back. I would hate to see you add anything to it and then have to pay to replace it later. That's pushing the tank a good bit. Take this time to watch, test, take notes and learn. You'll be crawling with life in no time at all. Remember:

"Nothing GOOD happens fast in Salt Water".

Haaileybop

Yeah I figured it would be a while, I started doing research about equipment in June. And I just now have water in August :/ Come on guys give me a snail!

BigFish- the rock is dry, but I will be going to the LFS hopefully tonight to get a piece or two of live rock.

PIMPALA

leave the tank alone, forget about it while you are gone, enjoy the party, take pics of said party, and share them with your RC friends.

send them in a PM if needed. LOL

Haaileybop

You could put a plastic Nemo in the tank until you get back?

Plastic Nemo it is!

leave the tank alone, forget about it while you are gone, enjoy the party, take pics of said party, and share them with your RC friends.

send them in a PM if needed. LOL

Ok! I will leave it alone :angel3: When I get back I am sure I will be asking questions on adding my new tank friends!

I will post a picture or two if I remember to take some :p

DesertOrchid

+1 to BigAL and Pimpala. Too early for critters, let your tank cycle without having to worry about things dying from being too much in a rush and go have fun on your get away. Once you get the 'wet pets' in your little piece of the ocean it really is one little worry after another so enjoy your peace of mind.............. you'll be losing your sanity soon enough LOL!!
Truly nothing good every happens fast in a saltwater tank.........and this is speaking from lots of experience............some of us are slow learners! :O

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Plastic Nemo it is!

Here is how I handled that "desire to stock" in my 90g tank (Talk about a sllooowwww build . . . )
IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Haaileybop

Here is how I handled that "desire to stock" in my 90g tank (Talk about a sllooowwww build . . . )

Al, I just LOL so hard at my desk at work that soda came out my nose. My office mate started looking at me funny and he didnt get it when I showed it to him! Way to go messing up my suit!

I am looking forward to setting everything up and I KNOW it will be well worth the wait. I am happy for all the support!

I will make sure to post a picture or two, hopefully I dont loose all my money at Craps! :)

bshady

Oh man I love the lionfish in the 90 g. For some reason though I dont think he moves much? Like everyone else said enjoy the party first. take your time most tanks are not even done cycling in 3 weeks. If you jump the gun you will most likely pay the price.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you do put a Nemo in the tank, I'd have someone come over to "feed your fish" while you are away. see how long it will take to get a text from them.

I have to confess to putting a plastic toy lizard in a tank I was setting up years ago and told guests at thanksgiving that it was a marine iguana. The only comment I got all night was "he doesn't move too much, does he?"