New sump ???`s

tbittner

FYI, Christmas Tree Coral is almost impossible to keep.

I've read that the color of the tubing doesn't mean anything because they flow keeps them clear. I prefer clear though so I can see what's going on in the tube.

PEMfish

Yeah, thats what I got, clear. I heard The X-mas Trees were 'harder' but never that hard to keep. What makes them so hard?

zimboy

Clear can allow algae growth in the tube, slowing your flow. If you want pods in your sump, toss a bunch of live rubble and a small ball of cheato in there. put some of your rubble in a plastic mesh bag so that you can transfer it to the main tank. this way you can get live pods in your tank without them going through your return pump.

Adam

PEMfish

Darn, I had cheato. But Cheato is algae, algae is a photosynthetic active organism group, as in need light. No light down there ( yet ). With and with out light what exactly will grow down there?

zimboy

pods will grow without light. btw, you can use one of the regular minifluorescents for your fuge (ya know, the curly energysavers) just make sure its a daylight spectrum, (6700k) and not the cool white or warm white bulbs.

zimboy

the benefits of using one of the energysaver bulbs is that they are CHEAP. both in initial cost and in running them. so are the fixtures for em. Much cheaper than getting a mini PC or other comparable fuge light. That way you can have chaeto, which is excellent for pod growth and for reducing nitrates.

zimboy

light for growing macros...... you did say you wanted a fuge? fuges normally house macros (light requiring) and are safe havens for pod populations.

PEMfish

Fuge, if I have room ( should ), I won't right away though. What fixture do you recommend for me?

zimboy

any light fixture that is rated for outdoor use and can take regular bulbs will work. Then get a daylight bulb (preferably a spotlight style) and you're good to go. If you are short of room in your sump, you can always use a small plastic soap dish or make a cage out of egg-crate to hold a small ball of chaeto. hope this all makes sense.

PEMfish

Yup, clear as day to me :), thanks. Now to be more specific on the fixture... I be shotting in the dark...

zimboy

go to your local hardware store and check their outdoor light fixtures. Generally flood light type fixtures are what you're looking for. just make sure it has an adequate gasket to seal the bulb so salt creep doesn't find its way in. This will probably be the cheapest way to do it. someone (possibly woodstock) has a couple of threads about this exact setup. do a search and see what you can find on RS.

PEMfish

Clear can allow algae growth in the tube

Adam

*Saying black won't...

Its more like the people who want to be smart say black tubing doesn't grow algae, there argument; "Well do you see any algae?.".
lol

pods in your tank without them going through your return pump.

...but that doesn't hurt them. Just give them a big rush, them the another ultimate rush as the fish eats em.

zimboy

clear tubing allows algae growth because it allows LIGHT into the tube. Black tubing doesn't for obvious reasons.

and i disagree on the pump not hurting pods. JMHO