New sump ???`s

PEMfish

Sump ~ Congratulation's RS

I was just mentally organizing the info throwout this thread and have to say congratulations on all the help you were able to supply in such a short time. Pat your selfs on the back RS. Thanks.

Anyway, I'm ordering the pump today, What do yall think of the AC 30 power head for the job? I'll order that one unless you tell me not to.
On a less urgent note, Dose anyone have ideas for sump design and pump protection? Thanks:)

zimboy

I wouldn't use a power head as your return pump. Even the best of them are not good at pumping up, especially 3.5 ft. I think you will have more problems than its worth. If you're trying to save money go look in the pond section of your local hardware store. The pond stuff should be on sale now and you could buy a pond pump designed for pumping head. I'm thinking one of the waterfall pumps or similar. You will probably have to clean these more often as they will probably build up lots of scale.

cracker

Pemfish, You can get the AC's at petsmart. Please consider holding out until You can come up with a little extra cash for a larger model. IMHO the 70 with 1/2 tubing would work real well on a 10 gl. Christmas is right around the corner!

cracker

Re: Sump ~ Congratulation's RS

I was just mentally organizing the info throwout this thread and have to say congratulations on all the help you were able to supply in such a short time. Pat your selfs on the back RS. Thanks.
QUOTE]
PEMfish, Pat Yourself on the back as well for holding out & researching/shopping around before spending your hard earned money.
Personally I have gained a "little" patience but overcoming that Impulse Buy is tough! LOL

zimboy

The 1200 model seems like it will fit the bill. As for pump protection, how about an Auto Top Off (ATO). Not only will this protect your pump from running dry, but it will keep your salinity in check. Very important for such a small tank. Since you are trying to save money i would suggest a raised resevoir with a simple float valve.

PEMfish

Well, if the feed siphon cuts off and the top off kicks on ( in its place ) the pump would live ( until the top off reservoir drys out ) but that would over fill the DT.

zimboy

ahh, I apologise. I misunderstood you. The usual reason for overflow boxes to lose their prime is because of air bubbles trapped in the U-tube. This can be fixed in a couple of ways. Drill a hole in the very top of your u-tube, shove an airline connector into the hole with just enough silicone to seal it in place, hook up some airline tubing and then hook the airline tubing up to the venturi intake on one of your powerheads (I think you have lynn aka lcstorc to thank for that) or you can hook up the airline to one of these: Tom Aquatics Aqua Lifter—Dosing Pump (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Overflow Box > Accessories ) both methods should keep your u-tube primed.

PEMfish

Good idea.
But if by some freak way a connection comes lose, siphon breaks out of the water ( I intend to secure it, but... ), or something, then what? I'm spending 'alot' :LOL: of money on this pump. :)

zimboy

looking at the flow chart for the 1200 you should get just under 200gph @ 4' of head. This will give you 20x tank turnover. More than adequate. Do you plan on having a fuge in this sump? if not (since i don't think you'll have the room) you really only need a couple of baffles to keep bubbles from your drain away from the return pump. Are you also running your skimmer from the sump? and are you putting your heater in? I would toss all the equip in the 5.5 gal and see how you could best fit it in with at least 2 glass baffles. I think size will dictate the design on this sump.

Last edited:

PEMfish

Fuge, if I have room. Heater, yes. Protein skimmer, yes, but the bubbles are eliminated in my one of a kind skimmer. Maby to start with I'll just leave the whole thing open. But I doo want to set it up formaly, sooner or later.
I want pods!

I also want the water level to be able to flux a little so I don't have to top off every other day. I know i will still have to do it frequently so the salinity keeps consistent.

PEMfish

I will only have the return from the sump for flow once I install it. I'll nee a PH for circulation, right?

zimboy

Depends on what type of corals you want to keep in your tank. If SPS then you probably will, if just softies and lps, you will probably be fine with just the return.

PEMfish

So far I have;
Trumpet coral
Star polyps
Kenya tree
Zoa.s
Mushrooms
Button polyps
Xenia
Toadstool
I plant on;
Sun coral
Christmas tree coral
Rico.

Far as the pump, in-line or submerged?

zimboy

Maybe try the pump inline as you are probably going to have heat issues if it is submerged. From your list i don't see anything too high flow demanding, just the return should be O.K. This you'll have to judge yourself once you get it up and running and you can see how much flow you have.