New sump ???`s

PEMfish

I will be adding a sump to my 10g reef hopefully soon. I will use a 5.5g AllGlassAquarium. I plan on using this pump: Aquarium Water Movement: ViaAqua Water Pumps for the return, model 480. I am not sure of exact specs at this point. I will the skimmer pump and return in it, the heater, ACmini, and fan mounted above it all. So if you have any ideas, let me know, no rush. Or if you have a better pump idea, I want something that won't brake the bank, let me know, soon. Thanks gang:).

Witfull

one thing you must check on the pump is head pressure,,,how much flow at what hight. some pumps wont lift water very high.

PEMfish

How would you tell about this one? Any suggestions?
Its got a 4ft head... 3' 3'' from bottom of sump to tank.

PEMfish

Could I mount a ridged U Cut 1'' below the surface connected to tubing going to the sump. That would feed the sump via siphon. But if the siphon stopped dose anybody have ideas for pump protection? Or better ideas for the feed? Thanks.

cracker

Pemfish, I use an Aquaclear powerhead for water changes. It will push water up 5' thru a long hose & is pretty small. I think it's a model 70. Can you raise the sump? That would cut back on head loss. I'm thinking both the return & skimmer pumps in a 5 gl is going to cause heat issues.

tbittner

Maybe the manufactures website would list the head rating for these pumps. The thing to remember is if the pump is rated at 300 gph, at 4 feet it may only be pumping 3 gph.

cracker

I was surprised how well the Aquaclears can push water. If you cut the venturi off a garden hose fits snugly.

PEMfish

...if you can find the sites.
Thanks for the help so far.
So, ideas ( pump, overflowfeed, sump layout )?
:)

PEMfish

Or if I put the return pump in the DT with the intake hoked up to a line going into the sump. Ya know, draw water up out of the sump into the DT. With the return pump in the DT. Good idea, yes/no???

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
sorry no. via aqu is 200gph at 0'... 34gph at 3... just about dry at 4', pushing or pulling wont change a weak pump. my 2 cents, money spent on a pump is always wasted on junk, a good pump always has a job, junk just sits and laughs at you, a reasonable alternative is danner mag drive pumps