New RSM C-Series C-130 & C-250

bluesky

Just ordered my C-250 (due to space constraints - S-500 footprint is too big). Probably will take 2 weeks to arrive. Still thinking how I will mod a bottom refugium.

MrX

I purchased my RSM C-250 on April 25th and started my cycle on May 3rd.

My previous system was a 120G (4x2x2) plumbed into the basement with 100G stock tank and 40B; total water volume was about 220G.

So far the quality is great except for a couple issues:

1) One of the doors for my tank had a large dent/smash on one of the corners. A quick email to RSM support and they sent a replacement out right away (kudos Red Sea!)
2) Black trim pieces don't fit tightly together. If I bump into them they separate. Not a deal breaker but it's annoying.
3) Skimmer has been running for almost two weeks and I'm not seeing anything close to 'bubbling' or skimmate. I pulled the skimmer out tonight and put the pump in the kitchen sink with a couple inches of water. When I plugged it in it barely seemed to move any water.
4) The power center cover is really too small; every time I slide it back on I have to be very careful or one or two of the plugs end up getting disconnected. Not to mention it bends the power cords very close to the plug.

For others with the C-250, or RedSeaKev, what do I need to do to get the skimmer running right? I had the adjustable gate all the way down, and the air adjustment valve was not on the air tube. (I need to cut the air tube down as it keeps kinking at the current length.)

When I looked into the skimmer it was full of water, to the bottom of the neck/skimmer cup, and I saw little to no water movement. Nothing close to what I used to see in my Hydor skimmer.

Any suggestions on the above items, or configuring/setting up the RSM C-250 in general are extremely welcome.

Thanks!

MrX

jstagner

I had the same problem with my skimmer on the C-250. I honestly can't remember now if moving the gate up or down helped but the gate is almost completely down now and pulls some wicked junk out of the tank.

I became so frustrated with it initially that I just didn't run the skimmer for a while. I also encountered a problem when I did a water change - the skimmer went nuts again and the collection cup started filling up with water.

Roy Page

I had the same problem with my skimmer on the C-250. I honestly can't remember now if moving the gate up or down helped but the gate is almost completely down now and pulls some wicked junk out of the tank.

I became so frustrated with it initially that I just didn't run the skimmer for a while. I also encountered a problem when I did a water change - the skimmer went nuts again and the collection cup started filling up with water.

I am on Day 5 with cycling my new C-250, which is also my first SW tank.
Essentially all is going well, I did cut the skimmer air hose down by about 3" so that it lies in a straight line from the pump to the silencer.
The skimmer is working ok but very sensitive to the height of the gate.
With the gate at it's bottom position I get no skimate to the top of the tube, as you slowly raise the gate the foam height raises and it seems a little hard to get a good position which does not fill the cup with water and gets the skimate to flow over into the cup.
I think it will settle down when their is more protein in the water.

My disappointment is the volume and type of noise from the water cooling fans.
Because there are 2 fans, they beat together and cause a harmonic which is a similar sound to a twin aircraft's engines as they hum in and out of RPM sync.
I am working on an electronic fix for this which should slow 1 of the fans down by a few RPM and remove that beating that is taking place.
But that will not solve the problem that all the C-250 fans are very loud and disturb our very quiet home.

Roy

MrX

MrX, I'm assuming your based in the USA, if so please contact Red Sea USA in respect of your pump I'm sure they'll be able to assist you

I already sent an email to the same person that assisted me with the door issue. I went to grab the link to the video I made of the pump running in the kitchen sink to PM to you and had a response from the Support Rep. They are going to send me a replacement pump.

I sent you the video link via PM. I'm curious if my thinking is correct and that the pump should be pumping more than it is.

So far I'm very happy with the RSM C-250, even with these minor hiccups. RSM Support (forums, etc.) have been quick to assist and resolve the issues!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Red Sea has great customer support !

MrX

I wish I had a house to put a tank this size in would love a 200+ gallon tank

The RSM tanks don't take much space at all. The C-130 is a 34-ish gallon tank, whereas the C-250 is a 66-ish gallon tank. The RSM numbers are usually in liters.