New RSM 250 Media Rack

Deniseheath5

I just purchased the media rack and should be getting it today. I plan to put 2 - chemipure elite and a purigen in the basket. I was wondering what other RSM Max 250 owners use. Do you have the big black sponge filters in above powerheads on left and right side? Do you recommend any other media beside the chemipure elite and purigen media?

Thanks

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Denise :wave:
:welcomera Welcome to RS!
I run mine the way you described with the CPE X2 & a single bag of Purigen. I have removed and discarded BOTH of my black "bubble trap" sponges. You should start a tread & share your tank progress with us in the Red Sea Max forum. This forum has been a real help & blessing to me. There are lots of nice people ride this roller coaster with! After 5 posts you can post pictures :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

I run mine same as above ^ :)

I have owned a RSM250 for one week. Water tests suggest I am done with the initial cycle. Just placed the order for an inTank media rack.

My questions:
Do I install the media rack immediately, ie at this point in the cycle?
with 2 bags of CPE, 1 Purigen in the media rack? Do I remove the carbon bag that came with the RSM?
When to add the refugium plants?
I have plans to include these items
Chaeto
Red Mangroves
Ulva
Red & Green Gracilaria
Codium
Any opinions on the assortment?

My apologies if this is the wrong forum topic to post a question. I'm a newbie to this site, and have been out of owning a fish tank for some 20 years. But, I've been lurking here and reading a bunch.

I appreciate the answers.

THANKS!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Fearless :wave:
:welcomera to RS...good choice of tank ;)
What did you use to cycle your tank? Did you already see ammonia & nitrite spikes through your testing?
Sometimes it takes OVER A WEEK for the cycle to even start.
:ponder2:
I'm guessing that you have already added a sump to your set up?
I have the media rack installed but there is no where for a refugium.
Probably need more details of your set up to answer your questions.

I cycled the tank with 55 lbs of live rock.

Yes, the ammonia and nitrite spiked already, and now the nitrates are nearly zero.

I saw someone using the RSM media rack (from inTank) with Chaeto growing inside the top chamber of the media rack.

At this point, I do not have a sump, but will be ordering one from Lifereef soon; however, delivery won't be until September.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd say in just a week's time that your tank has NOT had time to complete the cycle. Are you doing your own tests or are you taking water to the LFS for testing? The nitrates should be going UP, not down at this point.
Maybe others will be along today to advise you also about the length of time for a new tank to cycle.
This is a good place to get help & increase the patience one needs, especially in the start up.

Thanks for the reply Nanoreefing4fun.

A few questions that I have searched the forums and have not found the answers yet:
On the initial week of a tank startup, are the lights on or off?

If they are on, how long do they stay on per day?

Appreciate any feedback!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You can run them or not... it's about 50/50 ... I ran mine a few hours a day while cycling to rock watch & add a bit of light to my LR - you won't really go wrong, when you ramp them up... you will have some algae, but it's all part of a new tank

You can run them or not... it's about 50/50 ... I ran mine a few hours a day while cycling to rock watch & add a bit of light to my LR - you won't really go wrong, when you ramp them up... you will have some algae, but it's all part of a new tank

Thanks for the reply.

I've only started using my lights after day 8. Haven't seen any LR critters, but still on the lookout for any hitchhikers.